The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Earthquake?

Madness

Amazing the difference 60 years makes. 60 years ago they were trying to kill them with it and now they are helping them make sure they aren't killed by it (well them, and the rest of the world.).

given the huge economic tides that's hardly a surprise

Amazing the difference 60 years makes. 60 years ago they were trying to kill them with it and now they are helping them make sure they aren't killed by it (well them, and the rest of the world.).

It's kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation for the US.

And that link I posted was updated

This nuke reactor stuff is being hyped up wayyyyyy too much.

They only evacuated them like 2miles. if there was a real danger for a thermonuclear meltdown people would be moved much further... the explosion could reach very very far.

I thought they moved them 10kms

They only evacuated them like 2miles. if there was a real danger for a thermonuclear meltdown people would be moved much further... the explosion could reach very very far.

It's impossible for any nuclear plant to have a nuclear explosion, let alone a thermonuclear explosion. There's also no such thing as a thermonuclear meltdown.

AFAIK, there's no such thing as a "Thermonuclear Meltdown" - We don't have a fusion reaction being carried out here.

How do you guys embed videos?? I have one and I have nooo darn clue how to upload it!

you copy the url of the video vid you have and in the post editor thing you click on the insert media(the little picture with three photographs) and paste your link into the media url box

I've always thought that Van is one of those places that just won't be hit with this kind of disaster... There's a lot of things going right for us geographically (so I've been told). I hope that's the case before I become the loon preaching disaster to my friends doing this in response-> :rolleyes::lol:

I've always thought that Van is one of those places that just won't be hit with this kind of disaster... There's a lot of things going right for us geographically (so I've been told). I hope that's the case before I become the loon preaching disaster to my friends doing this in response-> :rolleyes::lol:

No one ever thinks these kind of things can happen to them. We just have to be prepared as much as we can

It's definitely not over. I'm on a live video chat right now with my family and as we were talking the wall cracked on a powerful aftershock. This was right after she showed me the other wall cracking not even an hour ago.

This could go on for some time. There were reports of aftershocks in Chile many months after the quake hit there. Compromised buildings could still face possible collapse. Thankfully the Japanese design their buildings well.

Actually, they upgraded the emergency level and increased the evacuation area to 10km. They're trying to control the pressure through ventilation. The primary objective is to get the cooling systems functional because they're relying on secondary cooling which isn't as effective.

Unlike Chernobyl, they are fully aware of the situation before it becomes an unstoppable reaction so there is a lower chance of it reaching meltdown.

Edit: Also, FYI, the term "meltdown" comes from when the fuel rods melt. The temperature is so high that when it comes into contact with vapors such as air or water, it explodes. The heat is a natural by-product of critical mass and the only way to stop the reaction is with a doping element such as enrich boron.

The danger comes from if fuel rods do melt, they burn at very high temperatures and are extremely difficult to put out. It burns so hot that sand actually melts into glass. The smoke and particles that come out are very radioactive and spread for thousands of kilometers in the atmosphere.

Actually, we'd be in trouble because the jet stream could carry the radioactive material towards us.

Edited by Aquiace

┳╮┳╮╱╭╮╮╭╱┳┓╭╮┳╮

┣╯┣┻╮┣┫╰┫╱┣╱┃┃┣┻╮

┻╱┻╱┻┗┗╰╯╱┻╱╰╯┻╱┻

╱╱┳╭━╮┳━╮╭━╮┳╮┳╱

╱╱┃┣━┫┣━╯┣━┫┃┃┃╱

╰━╯┻╱┛┻╱╱┻╱┛┻╰┻╱

It's definitely not over. I'm on a live video chat right now with my family and as we were talking the wall cracked on a powerful aftershock. This was right after she showed me the other wall cracking not even an hour ago.

This could go on for some time. There were reports of aftershocks in Chile many months after the quake hit there. Compromised buildings could still face possible collapse. Thankfully the Japanese design their buildings well.

The cracked walls beg to differ :P

Glad to know internet connection, of all things, is still alive.

That's terrible. :(

┳╮┳╮╱╭╮╮╭╱┳┓╭╮┳╮

┣╯┣┻╮┣┫╰┫╱┣╱┃┃┣┻╮

┻╱┻╱┻┗┗╰╯╱┻╱╰╯┻╱┻

╱╱┳╭━╮┳━╮╭━╮┳╮┳╱

╱╱┃┣━┫┣━╯┣━┫┃┃┃╱

╰━╯┻╱┛┻╱╱┻╱┛┻╰┻╱

What?