The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rioting in Vancouver Tonight

DonLever

Not sure if this was posted in this thread, but in case there are some of you who aren't aware: Boston has rioted several times in the last 7 years. These riots have actually resulted in 3 deaths. They took extra precautions during game 7.

http://www.theglobea...article2061620/

Boston preparing for trouble in case of Cup celebrations

The city of Boston is taking extra precautions as it prepares for possible revelry after the seventh and deciding game of the Stanley Cup finals Wednesday.The Boston Bruins are in Vancouver to take on the Canucks, but Boston police are deploying hundreds of extra officers to patrol the streets around TD Garden and Fenway Park, neighbourhoods with dozens of sports bars where fans congregate. State police and transit police are also beefing up their presence.

Raucous celebrations after big wins by the New England Patriots, Boston Red Sox and Boston Celtics in the past seven years have resulted in three deaths and widespread vandalism.

The city banned on-street parking in the same areas from 6 p.m. to 2 a.m. Thursday and urged fans to use public transportation.

Bars are being asked to take in or secure outdoor furniture, black out windows to prevent crowds from gathering outside to watch the TVs inside, and not admit any customers after the end of the game's second period.

"The Boston Police Department wants to ensure that everybody celebrates responsibly and wants to create an environment that is peaceful and without incident," department spokeswoman Elaine Driscoll said.

After consulting with police, the Bruins also decided against holding a viewing party for as many as 15,000 fans in the TD Garden. Police and arena officials said there was just not enough time to properly co-ordinate the event.

During Patriots Super Bowl celebrations in February 2004, James Grabowski, 21, was killed after being struck by a vehicle.

That October, college student Victoria Snelgrove, 21, died after being hit in the eye by a pepper pellet fired by police while celebrating the Red Sox victory over the New York Yankees in Game 7 of the American League Championship Series.

David Woodman, a 22-year-old college student, died 11 days after he stopped breathing while in police custody during Celtics championship celebrations in June 2008. He had a pre-existing heart condition.

The city paid out multimillion-dollar settlements in the latter two cases.

"Tomorrow we want everybody talking about what happened on the ice, not what happened after," Driscoll said.

Maybe this is what Vancouver will have to do the next time we make it to the finals? It's a bit sad, really, but obviously a necessary step to prevent something like this from happening again.

What really annoys me is that riots relating to sports events happen ALL the time ALL OVER THE WORLD, yet Vancouver has been shamed to no end. I know that more is expected of the city of Vancouver after hosting the Olympics, but sheesh.

I'd love to post more articles about riots that have happened in other cities in Canada (especially about one that happened on Canada Day ten years ago for, ahem, NO REASON) to remind the rest of Canada that they are not superior nor immune to riots. But........I should probably just let it go and let the rest of Canada have the ego boost they apparently so desperately needed. :mellow:

Ah hell why not post one picture 060529_oilersfans_hmed3p.hmedium.jpg:D

Here's another firing:

A 22-year-old Richmond carpenter is eating his words after he was fired from his job for making comments in support of the Vancouver riot on his Facebook page.

Connor Mcilvenna says that he went downtown with some friends around 9:30 p.m. on Wednesday to watch the post-Stanley Cup riot, but didn't do anything illegal.

"I didn't do anything. I did nothing wrong. I was just there," he said.

He did, however, post several pro-riot status updates on his Facebook page, including statements like "atta boy vancity!!! show em how we do it!!!" and "vancouver needed remodeling anyway...."

Mcilvenna listed Rite Tech Construction on his profile as his employer, and the morning after the riot, he was called in by the boss and promptly fired.

"I have big regrets for making stupid comments I just shouldn't have made," he told CTV News after losing his job.

Rite Tech owner Justin Reitz says that Mcilvenna's thoughtless comments impacted his company's reputation.

"I just didn't feel like what was said was appropriate, and I didn't want any affiliation towards my company with the things he said on Facebook," Reitz said.

"I had over 100 emails and out of the 100 emails, close to 30 of them were copies of his Facebook page which he sent out during the riots."

Mcilvenna says he's apologized on Facebook in the meantime, but the lesson has been a hard one to learn.

"I didn't do anything. I was just there. I made stupid comments that I'm extremely regretful for, and people just took them the wrong way," he said.

Source: CTV Winnipeg

Here is an article explaining how ICBC proposes using its photo database and facial recognition software to assist the VPD in identifying some of the rioters.

When ICBC took the photo for your driver's licence, did anyone mention it could end up being scanned to see if you committed a crime?

Unlikely. But that could be happening soon if the Vancouver police department takes up ICBC's offer to use its database and face-recognition software to identify culprits in Vancouver's infamous hockey riot.

It is the most high-profile example to date in this country of what Simon Fraser University communication professor Peter Chow-White warns is 'function creep' -- that is using a technology or process designed for a specific purpose for other purposes. Thanks to face recognition technology, data collected for drivers' licences could be used for everything from naming rioters to providing police with personal data on people caught committing a variety of crimes.

"The function of the ICBC database is not for law enforcement as far as I know," said Chow-White. "They don't tell me when I get my picture taken this could be used in a police investigation."

You didn't need to be anywhere near downtown Vancouver on the night of the riots for your photo to be scanned for a possible match to potential criminals. ICBC's database contains current and post photos of the more than three million people who hold BC driver's licences plus non-drivers, such as seniors or youth over the age of 12, who have a photo card from ICBC to use as government-issued ID.

ICBC is offering to take photos from the police that are the subject of active investigations and run them against its database. ICBC spokesman Adam Grossman said if there is a confirmed match, ICBC will let the police know but it will only turn over personal data if the police get a court order requiring it. Grossman said the police haven't submitted any photos yet but he said he thinks that is because it is early in their investigations.

The court order isn't a requirement of privacy law governing the public sector, which gives public sector organizations discretion over sharing information with the police in specific investigations, according to BC's Information and Privacy Commissioner Elizabeth Denham. She says ICBC has gone one step further in requiring judicial oversight and it has also agreed to cooperate with her audit of the process.

"Generally personal information collected for one purpose should not be used for a new purpose or re-purposed without a person's consent," said Denham. "The exception is for law-enforcement investigations."

However, while ICBC's proposal to share its database is within the law, Denham said she has misgivings about it because it is a case of information collected for one purpose being used for another purpose.

"The use of this data for law enforcement raises signficant issues for all of us," she said.

Denham said while people may be anxious to see the rioters identified and charged, the experience with the riots here showed that social media can be used for citizen surveillance.

"That's a very slippery slope," she said. "We all have to think about what we are giving up when we act this way."

While ICBC has a rich repository of photo IDs, it has only been since last February that the face recognition software it uses - provided by the U.S. company L-1 Identity Solutions - was enabled to scan photos from sources outside ICBC's own photo database. Grossman said no data on British Columbians is stored in the U.S. and no L-1 employees have access to the data.

ICBC has had L-1's software since 2009. The software analyzes facial characteristics that don't change, such as the size and location of cheekbones and the distance between a person's eyes. In 2010, the software aided in a number of convictions for identity theft and fraud.

In one case, when a woman took a road test using her sister's name the software revealed she had been prohibited from driving. In another case, the same person's photo appeared on two difference licences. An investigation revealed that one of the identities used to get a driver's licence and register and insure several vehicles was that of a dead person. In another case, someone in organized crime who had been deported was found out when he applied for a driver's licence using another man's identity.

ICBC's offer to the Vancouver police would mark the first time the software has been used for outside purposes and privacy experts warn it marks an alarming anti-privacy trend that could see the huge amounts of information collected in databases used for other than their originally intended purposes. Chow-White said in the case of the ICBC database, the function creep has extended across organizations. And he points out that the face recognition software, which may not be entirely accurate, scans the entire database and not just suspects.

"it widens the surveillance net, instead of those under surveillance, everybody comes under their surveillance net," he said.

While Grossman didn't have specific statistics on accuracy of the software, he said analysts check the results when the software turns up a match. The issue of inaccuracy with face recognition software is one raised by many privacy and security experts, including Kris Constable, director of the Victoria-based PrivaSecTech, which specializes in information security and privacy technology. He said face recognition software could result in a lot of false positives.

"It is realy hard to do it right without false positives," he said. "Google tried and they were unsuccessful and they just gave up. Why do we as citizens accept that this is happening?"

Constable, who is also on the privacy and access committee of the BC Civil Liberties Association, said concern was raised with the introduction of the enhanced driver's licence database that there could be potential uses and abuses outside of the original purpose of the database.

"This is the what if we brought up at the beginning," he said of the face recognition scanning for riot suspects.

http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/Committing+crime+Your+driver+licence+could+witness+against/5003044/story.html#ixzz1QGie34sZ

Blenz Coffee has filed a civil lawsuit for damages against 150 as yet unidentified rioters named as defendants as "John Does" 1 through 75, and "Jane Does" 1 through 75.

A Vancouver-based chain of coffee shops is suing more than 100 participants in the Stanley Cup riots for trashing one of its outlets.

Blenz Coffee chain president George Moen said the lawsuit is not about getting back more than "six-figures" in damages.

It's about a franchise owner, he said, who was locked in a back room of her downtown Vancouver store for more than two hours — "in fear, trembling, quivering" — fearing she would be beaten to death by crazed looters who exploded through her shop "like a bomb went off."

"Does it sound like I'm going to let this go?" Moen said tensely in an interview Friday, while discussing the chain's civil lawsuit against 150 unidentified rioters.

None of the rioters are named in the lawsuit but they are now being identified through clear video images, Moen said, adding he wants the alleged perpetrators to come forward and make it easier on themselves.

The lawsuit — the first in an expected wave of civil claims stemming from the riot — was filed Thursday in B.C. Supreme Court.

Moen is seeking to recover punitive damages for traumatized shop workers, as well as money for destroyed facilities and lost revenue at three coffee shops in Vancouver's downtown core.

One location will take four weeks to reopen, and will cost about $100,000 to repair, Moen said.

Out of 60 downtown businesses affected by Game 7 rioters on June 15, the Blenz on the city's West Georgia Street is the only one still closed. Damages from last Wednesday's fracas are estimated at about $5 million.

The franchise owner, said to be too traumatized to be interviewed, has been offered counselling and will likely live with her horrific experience for many years, Moen said.

"I want an apology (from rioters) more than I want their money," Moen said. "If people come forward we will take a lot different attitude than if we have to come after them. Come in and admit you've made a mistake. We're going to take our time here."

The lawsuit names defendants as "John Does" 1 through 75, and "Jane Does" 1 through 75.

Usually, lawsuits are served to people with identities and addresses who can then respond to the claims, but in this unique case information is still being gathered through social media and public assistance, Moen said.

Moen said he expects other businesses to join the civil suit movement against rioters.

"My suspicion is most of these kids, and there were some adults too, didn't have criminal records," Moen said. "(But) all actions have consequences."

In an email, John Cameron identified himself as a lawyer who attended Game 7 and saw the riot unfold. He said he was also a witness to the 1994 riots, as a member of the Vancouver police riot squad.

"I am hopeful that advances in technology will help the police catch many of those responsible," Cameron said. "I also encourage businesses and individuals to consider, in appropriate cases, using our civil justice system to sue and thereby hopefully make some of those responsible repay the damages they have caused."

In a previous interview Christopher Schneider, a UBC sociologist and criminology expert, said he expects new legal precedents will come out of Stanley Cup 2011 riot court cases.

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Vancouver+coffee+chain+launches+civil+suit+against+rioters/5001987/story.html#ixzz1QGtZFLJ6

Dear 2011 Vancouver Stanley Cup Rioters,

Please stop saying you're sorry. Stop posting YouTube videos begging for forgiveness. Stop writing letters asking that society cut you some slack and leave you alone.

While you were drunk and flipping cars, I was driving with all of my emergency equipment on to get into Vancouver. While you were throwing anything you could get your hands on at the police, I was pressure testing my APR and standing in the middle of the tear gas. While you and thousands of others disgraced Vancouver and its surrounding population, I stood shoulder to shoulder with a couple hundred men and women, whom I trust my life with, ready to address your indiscretions.

You came up to me like you owned the streets in your drunken stupor, thrust your middle fingers in my face and shouted obscenities; I didn't snap you in half.

Actions speak louder than words.

You started "harmless" fires. You torched other men and women's cars whom you'd never met and never did you wrong. You assaulted firemen as they arrived to try and deal with your "mistakes". You took limited, valuable emergency resources away from good people who needed them. You endangered more lives by tying up emergency services than you ever considered.

You started fights. You stabbed people you'd never met because they somehow made you angry. You gave men and women trying to protect property life altering concussions. You brought paramedics into the tear gas and exhausted them trying to save people they'd never met.

You showed up to hospital emergency rooms crying because you'd been exposed to tear gas. You got obnoxious and demanded to be treated like you were somehow dying. You knew it was a riot, you chose not to leave, you chose to stick around and breathe the tear gas in. You took nurses and doctors away from people who needed their care to live. People they'd never met but work tirelessly to save. You demanded to be treated as if you were better than the rest of society.

You'd tell me that the emergency services personnel I speak of are paid to do this job and chose to be there. You're right. We give a damn about people we've never met and property that isn't ours, that's why we do what we do. You disgust us.

What brought a tear to my eye, after the gas had cleared, was standing in the middle of an intersection at about 3am the only people I'd seen for the last 30 minutes were other police officers, until a shop keeper brought us a case of water. Then I saw a random person with a broom clearing the sidewalk. I had a duty to respond, the citizens of Vancouver immediately afterward could have just left it up to those paid to deal with it. They didn't just stand by, they came out in force and cleaned up after your indiscretions. Everyone I saw that early morning thanked me, I was only doing my job. I have the utmost respect for all of the people from Vancouver and the surrounding areas that came downtown and volunteered to clean up after you.

You owe Vancouver and the surrounding population more than mere words. Don't you dare ask for our forgiveness without taking responsibility. You can't fix life altering injuries with an "I'm Sorry". You can't repay someone's car loan with a YouTube video. You ask that people leave you and your family alone but you offer no way to replace priceless losses.

You'll sleep soundly in your bed tonight because men and women like me will always be there to deal with your poor choices. You have no idea how fortunate you are, even after we arrest and charge you. Even though you disgust me, if you call for me in the middle of the night I'll respond. I'll protect your life and property because it's right and it's what I do.

The evening of June 15, 2011 fellow emergency services personnel, my brothers and sisters, left our families at home and while grossly out numbered stood to fight. The morning of June 16, 2011 the true heroes emerged to volunteer their time and restored my faith in humanity.

Actions speak louder than words. What are you going to do about that?

— a police officer from the suburbs, who was called in to serve and protect on that night; a proud Vancouverite.

^Well-said. Although my previous experiences with the VPD have always been positive, I never have had as much an appreciation/love for them as I did after the riot.

The kissing couple annoys me. Kind of wishing the story would just go away now, but YT doesn't seem to want to forget. Edit: HOLY CRAP a million views in a day?! :shock::blink: HOW? Wishing this fame had happened to actual heroes in the riot instead of this pair who did nothing but be a nuisance.

These rioters could have the best apology, like an outstanding apology, like some of you claim the one guy who is gay' claim he had a good apology. Sure, he didn't blame anyone but himself, but he trashed your city. Your city. And you let up because he apologized - not before he was caught, after. And yet people let up on him, which is exactly what he's aiming for.

Many more, when later identified, will compile an apology. One probably well written because most of these rioters are going, have gone, and are soon going to school, or university. Or just get one written for them because of their parents affording lawyers and such. And yet - people say "Now that's a good apology", well really, it's not. They trashed, and destroyed a city for no reason, an apology is hardly enough. Grades mean nothing when you lack a vast knowledge of something that's more important - common sense. Which clearly, all of these people lack.

Hard to believe this happened 10 days ago, seemed like yesterday my favorite city was being ruined, as I watched on TV. In mere tears watching this unfold. Good to see people getting caught, and being identifed, and thank god they lack that common sense, or common knowledge - to not cover up their faces when rioting. And then the idiots that posted on Facebook bragging about. I wish I could send these people a 'Thank You' card, for turning themselves in, when they didn't even expect to be caught.

You could have the best apology...ever, but that'll hardly do anything in your favor from my point of view. Stupid enough to riot, stupid enough to loot, and stupid enough to turn themselves in, man I sure love people who lack common sense!

I'm all for public shaming, but when it turns into hate speech that's when it becomes as bad as the actions of the ones being shamed. racist, homophobic, and misogynistic comments take it way too far and should not be tolerated.

I disagree.

We moved on, forgot the lessons of the 1994 riot and look what followed.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" ~ philosopher George Santayana from Life of Reason I

Where is the line drawn? Public shaming on the internet has zero controls/regulations/laws... It'll probably be another 10 years before the laws catch up with the after math of this riot.

We're the only ones who are shammed over this now - no one else in the rest of the world even remembers. Since we rioted over losing the cup, Lebanon, Northern Ireland and India have rioted... Peru rioted twice...

Hopefully our scars heal soon.

^Well-said. Although my previous experiences with the VPD have always been positive, I never have had as much an appreciation/love for them as I did after the riot.

The kissing couple annoys me. Kind of wishing the story would just go away now, but YT doesn't seem to want to forget. Edit: HOLY CRAP a million views in a day?! :shock::blink: HOW? Wishing this fame had happened to actual heroes in the riot instead of this pair who did nothing but be a nuisance.

Archived