The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music of 2012

GLASSJAW

Maybe I don't have all of peel slowly and see then, I just have the demos and stuff. Next time I go through a huge VU phase I'll have to check it out.

EDIT: Oh, the self-titled album, yeah I'll definitely have to check out that then, I'm not the hugest fan of the way that album sounds.

sometimes i get nostalgic when i think about how cool 2010 was for music. kinda my first year checking out as many new releases as i could and there was: contra, the suburbs, halcyon digest, teen dream, cosmogramma, this is happening, mbdtf, high violet, age of adz, melted. damn, what a year for big ticket indie bands.

ty segall and the pink mountaintops are playing smallish shows in vancouver next month, pumped for those.

i saw patrick watson last week. i'd never listened to him, but i went because my brother's band was opening. it was sold out, i didn't know the dude was so popular. he didn't blow me away or anything, but he's really talented and some of the songs were really pleasant.

2009 was even better, imo.

Girls - Album

Atlas Sound - Logos

Grizzly Bear - Veckitandfasdfmaeest

Pains of Being Pure at Heart - S/T

Neon Indian - Psychic Chasms

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Its Blitz (even though I hate them)

St Vincent - Actor

Fever Ray - S/T

Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix

Woods - Songs of Shame

Bat for Lashes - Two Suns

The xx - s/t

Animal Collective - Merriweather

Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca

Bill Callahan - Sometimes I wish I were an Eagle

The Antlers - Hospice

jj - jj no 2

Tune-Yards - Bird Brains

Yeah, my vote goes to 2010. That year was the shiznit.

Besides those mentioned, we also had great albums from LCD Soundsystem, The Walkmen, Black Keys, Frightened Rabbit, Sleigh Bells, Tallest Man On Earth, The Fall, Janelle Monae, Grinderman, Ariel Pink, Dum Dum Girls, Swans, Joanna Newsom, Spoon, Wolf Parade, Surfer Blood, Sharon Jones, Broken Social Scene, Hot Chip, Shearwater, Radio Dept., Yeasayer, Best Coast, Danger Mouse & Sparklehorse, Future Islands, Magnetic Fields...and to top it all off, some vintage-era Springsteen!!!

If anything, there was too much great music. I'm still discovering/breaking in music from that year. It's the year that keeps on giving!

i've got a long weekend so i can give both a listen tonight

just played through ty segall's twins again -- definitely a great start, but still think it fades big time towards the end.

and couldn't listen to my velvet underground mega download because it's in FLAC. any of you guys know a good flac-to-mp3 converter that isn't loaded with spy/malware?

black flag - the first four years: 6.5/10

mountain goats - the sunset tree: 9/10

buzzcocks - singles going steady: 9/10

stereolab - transient random-noise bursts with announcements: 7/10

interpol - turn on the bright lights: 8.5/10

spoon - kill the moonlight - ?/10

I feel like I totally missed something with the Spoon album, so I'll have to give it another listen.

can't believe how amazing the first half of interpol's album is, then it totally trails off.

prefer Rollins era Black Flag, but still a decent listen

Mountain Goats album is absolutely amazing, even with the sometimes silly, sometimes amazing lyrics. "hast thou considered the tetrapod" is so good. one of the best songs i've ever heard, in the same way that catcher in the rye is one of the best books i've ever read. perfect for that adolescent angst mood.

buzzcocks compilation has a few dull moments (to be expected with a collection that large), but the high points are so high that the lows are easily ignored

stereolab album wasnt as good as i remembered it, but still a pleasant background noise listen (with the repetition and all that, it's not really something that requires 'focus')

Archived