The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music of 2012

GLASSJAW

and if we're purely discussing modern bands (as in early-mid 80s-present), then I wonder where Damon Albarn, as an individual, would rank?

He's proven himself to be quite diverse in his work with Blur alone, not to mention Gorillaz, and his other side projects.

Surely as far as individuals go, Albarn would be a serious contender for best of the modern era?

Or am I overrating him?

and if we're purely discussing modern bands (as in early-mid 80s-present), then I wonder where Damon Albarn, as an individual, would rank?

He's proven himself to be quite diverse in his work with Blur alone, not to mention Gorillaz, and his other side projects.

Surely as far as individuals go, Albarn would be a serious contender for best of the modern era?

Or am I overrating him?

As for glassjaw's original question, depends on the time period in question. If it is 1990-2010, or anything like that, then yeah, it's gotta be Radiohead.

But if someone else was going back further, they may say U2. (Their last few albums can make you forget how amazing and groundbreaking War, The Joshua Tree, and Achtung Baby were.)

But in general, "our time" isn't over.

Django Django is quite good. Some of it reminds me of Kasabian (their better work, anyways), other parts Field Music. (Speaking of Field Music, just noticed they have a new disc out too.)

I'm just on the first track of the new Shearwater, Animal Life...and it's simply gorgeous. Very likely already my favourite song of theirs. Let's see if they keep it going.

...2nd track, Breaking The Yearlings...Holy crap, this is already the best album I've heard in months!

Shearwater - Animal Joy

homepage_large.1301df60.jpg

Stunningly gorgeous. The vocals absolutely soar. But unlike previous Shearwater albums, the music is consistently tight, focused, and full of surprises. Rooks was fantastic, but IMO, this is even better. Almost certain to be at or near the top of my list for 2012.

Even if you weren't a huge fan of their previous albums, I still recommend giving this a try. It's far more accessible than anything they've done.

Highlights: Every freakin song. But if I have to choose...You As You Were, Breaking The Yearlings, Pushing The River, Animal Life, Insolence.

9/10

those were kinda my votes for top bands of "our time"

radiohead, modest mouse, anco

and maybe kanye, as stupid as some of you might find that. i've really liked all his albums. he's a master sampler, has produced tons of stuff and is pushing more boundaries than anyone else in hip hop.

Am I the only one who thinks early Radiohead is good, but just stinks of 90s brit / alt rock? It isn't until Kid A, imo, that they actually become a really interesting band. I don't listen to OK Computer anymore, I kind of find it boring to be honest. I get how it was a game changer and all that, but it STILL just sounds like a boundary pushing 90s brit alt rock album to me.

Kid A is when Radiohead turns the corner for me.

With that said, the first 3 (proper) Modest Mouse albums vs. the first 3 Radohead albums, EASILY, go to Modest Mouse. Since then, Radiohead has been much more prolific, and what little work MM has done, hasn't been as good as Kid A, Amnesiac and In Rainbows.

If I had to choose between The Moon & Antarctica and OK Computer for a deserted island album, it would be TM&A all day.

^ Ok Computer has like 3 songs with distorted guitars. i don't think it's as alt-pop-rock as you think.

if you added a bunch of reverb and delay to them, songs like Subterranean Homesick Alien, Let Down and The Tourist wouldn't sound out of place on In Rainbows.

/\

That's just it though, the main reason Kid A is respected was that it was unique and original. For pure songwriting though, I don't think it holds up to OK at all. People don't emulate it, because why would you? It wouldn't sell, and you would just be a knock-off.

And as for saying you don't like something because it's "too Britpop", well, that is all about what musical genres you favor. Myself, I love Britpop - Blur, Pulp...HUGE Bowie fan. I'll usually take "familiar knuckle dragging rock elements" over "familiar hipster-loved atmospheric droning" anyday. And from what I know of your tastes, you favor the other.

^ i'm a radiohead FANATIC. they are and always will be my favourite band.

The Bends is my second least favourite Radiohead album. that isn't to say i don't like it, some of the songs (street spirit, fake plastic trees, bones, planet telex) are amongst my favourite radiohead songs. it's just that i think all of their other albums (except Pablo Honey, which is crap) are way way better.

but, like you, The Bends was the first Radiohead album i got into. so keep going in chronological order, it's exciting!

after The Bends comes Ok Computer, one of the most acclaimed albums of all time. it's got a lot of their biggest songs like Karma Police and Paranoid Android. it takes the alternative guitar rock vibe of The Bends and throws in some electronic elements, some more interesting song structures and themes, some really creepy and disturbing bits (climbing up the walls, fitter happier) and is kinda considered a concept album because all the songs kinda have related themes about technology and feeling alone and stuff. if you liked the bends, you'll LOVE Ok Computer. Paranoid Android and Exit Music especially are masterpieces.

the next album is Kid A which is where things get weird. a lot of the songs have heavy heavy vocal effects and there aren't many guitars or acoustic drums. Kid A is also considered one of the greatest albums of all time by some people. thom yorke was really depressed during the recordings, and it took like a year for them to record it. you might not like it, a lot of people got turned off of radiohead by it. i think it's amazing, one of the most interesting and refreshing albums of all time. all of the songs flow into each other, and listening to it is definitely an experience.

Amnesiac is kinda like Kid A except even weirder, with some really jazzy stuff and a song that sounds backwards. it's a pretty dark album and it kinda bums me out, but it might also be my favourite.

Hail to the Thief might be the most similar to The Bends in some regards, so if you don't like Ok Computer, it might be the best album to check out next. it was recorded really fast (like 3 weeks) and isn't too cohesive or anything, just a mix of a bunch of songs. some of it is slow and acoustic, some of it is really electronic, and quite a bit of it is really dark and creepy (check out Wolf At the Door)

In Rainbows is where radiohead started focusing on sounding really beautiful. most of the vocals and guitar parts are drenched in reverbs and delay, and the songs all just sound really pretty and perfect. In Rainbows is probably the most pleasant album to listen to, and i can't imagine anyone ever not liking it, unless they thought it was boring which i could see.

and then there's The King of Limbs which came out a few months ago. it took me a long time to warm up to it, but it's also great. thom yorke is really into hip hop and electronic music now, and that shines through a lot, but there are some nice piano ballads and stuff. basically if you've made it this far into the discography, you're probably going to like this album.

i don't know why i wrote so much haha. i read this quote once about how "writing about music makes as much sense as dancing about architecture," which i agree with. anyway, i hope some of that made sense and helps you get into radiohead.

Audiophile, do yourself a favor, and download at least some the following songs:

The Trickster, Punchdrunk Lovesick Singalong, Lewis (Mistreated), Maquiladora, Killer Cars, How Can You Be Sure, Banana Co, Polyethylene, Pearly, Meeting in the Aisle, Lull, Palo Alto, The Amazing Sounds of Orgy, Kinetic, Fog, Paperbag Writer...

These are all Radiohead B-sides. Songs they didn't even bother putting on an album. You have enough here for an extra-length album, and yet, despite being "cast-offs", you will find it rivals the best work of most bands. THIS is where you will realize, that despite their foibles, Radiohead is simply one of - if not THE - greatest band of our time.

/\

That's just it though, the main reason Kid A is respected was that it was unique and original. For pure songwriting though, I don't think it holds up to OK at all. People don't emulate it, because why would you? It wouldn't sell, and you would just be a knock-off.

And as for saying you don't like something because it's "too Britpop", well, that is all about what musical genres you favor. Myself, I love Britpop - Blur, Pulp...HUGE Bowie fan. I'll usually take "familiar knuckle dragging rock elements" over "familiar hipster-loved atmospheric droning" anyday. And from what I know of your tastes, you favor the other.

Archived