The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Weird Thing About Raymond

ButterBean

He always seems to produce when Daniel Sedin is injured and Hank is centering him. Particularly in road games as well. Could this be a future option if the Sedins start to struggle? Raymonds speed, Henrik's playmaking ability, and Kassian's size/toughness could make a pretty good combo.

He's been playing great, but he has to keep it up. Consistency!

He knows he needs to use his speed and go to the net to be effective, but it seems like he always reverts back to playing on the perimeter.

I guess the coaching staf just need to keep drilling this point home.

I still like him, its not going to take him having an off season, and a season after back surgery to make me start hating this guy and blaming him for our losses, its a team sport. Give em a chance boys

And more on topic, how many games has he played under these circumstances? Like 2?

If he plays well enough from here on out to up his trade value for MG to move him this summer, I'll be genuinely appreciative and wish him all the best in his new location next season. Not much of a killer instinct or nose for the net, though, so he can't be counted on as a sniper. And, he seems to "have a problem" staying on his skates when it matters most. Like, on the rush around the net. But, I know he tries. I'll give him that. Can't accuse the guy of mailing it in.

Perhaps a switch to center next season might benefit him...with his new team, that is. Seems a damn shame to not find a way to utilize all that speed. His 25 goal scoring days seem to be numbered, but maybe the guy secretly has some BMo-like playmaking skills that we aren't currently privy to. Couldn't hurt to slot him in between "the right linemates" and see what happens...somewhere else, though.

Guest The Brown Burrows

He has now had two good games but I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon...he still needs to show consistency (I hope he is gone this summer unless he pulls off some amazing playoff skills).

The thing about Raymond is that he tries to be a playmaker with Kes and Booth because both Kes and Booth are shooters. That's why you see him circling trying to find seams and passing lanes but often end up turning over the puck. Playing with Hank, he doesn't need to be the playmaker, so he can use his speed and get open, which is why he's getting more chances.

Not dumping Kes or anything, but if only Kes can learn a thing or two about passing from Hank and add that extra element to his game, his line would be unstoppable. While Hank just overwhelms with his deft passing, if Kes can pass and drive to the net using his inside-out move, it would keep opposing D guessing. The logic is really simple. What moves faster in a game? The player or the puck? Then again, not everyone can pass like Hank.

I've said it before and will say again that Raymond is most effective gaining the offensive zone for his linemates and then dishing the puck back to the D or work some give-n-go's using his speed, exactly like how he did there on the Bieksa goal.

Archived