The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why I Believe Mactavish Should Be Coach Next Year & Why Av Should Be Fired

The Sedin's 6th Sense

I have to say, whatever the changes we make in the future, I just hope it is the right one that will get us that cup we've been craving for. I support Gillis' decisions in whatever he decides to do. However, personally, I will definitely be happy if I get to see Luongo to lift that cup in a Canucks jersey. It does not just silent his critics, but also, he definitely deserves it, now he just got to earn it. Whatever happens next year, I will still be cheering my heart out for the Canucks.

I'm not sure if MacTavish is our overall coach answer, IMO I think we need to say goodbye to Rick Bowness, good guy but he works on the defence and some powerplay formations, I would like to see a fresh take and a more pressure then crash type defence in front of the net to clear the rebounds and reflect the pucks.

The system team plays

The ice time young players get

The call ups

these are all things controlled by Gillis , Since Mike Gillis has been here if you pay attention to the little bit of information that are not a cliche you can tell he is very hands on and wants to have full control of the team .The ice time and call ups of you young players is something very similar to what Detroit does and this who Gillis has been modelling the Canucks after

I think this team needs a more hands on coach. How many times this year did you see us play poorly, have the other team score a crucial goal, and AV's reaction be to just stand there and chew his gum angrily. Compare to other coaches that talk to the team and get them riled up. AV is a great coach, there's no doubt about that, but I think this group needs a more hands on approach to get to the next level.

sorry didn't read all of it but I think we need a more offensive coach, AV is a very good coach but at the same time I think it was in 2010 when Boston lost after having a 3-0 series lead everyone thought they should of fired the coach but they didn't and they ended up winning the cup the following year maybe we should keep AV till next year if we don't win the cup then he should be fired

sorry didn't read all of it but I think we need a more offensive coach, AV is a very good coach but at the same time I think it was in 2010 when Boston lost after having a 3-0 series lead everyone thought they should of fired the coach but they didn't and they ended up winning the cup the following year maybe we should keep AV till next year if we don't win the cup then he should be fired

It's an argument.

After the Canucks were knocked out in the first round, I was starting to take the path of least resistance, and move towards the "get rid of AV" sentiment. But, consider this another way. AV has managed to squeeze back-to-back Presidents Trophy's out of a bunch of under-performing, low scoring goofballs (Sedins and Schneider excepted from the goofball segment). Quite a talented feat for any Head Coach. I don't believe getting rid of AV will do anything for this team. But, some timely trades by MG in the offseason for true scoring talent would certainly make AV's job a lot easier.

Without naming any names, we all know which players have been vastly under-performing. Sure, we could listen to their lip-service about how seriously they are going to play the game in a professional manner next season. But, if they couldn't do it this season, why are we going to believe they are going to show any character in the future?

MG must surely be aware it is time for a few personnel changes. It must be really difficult for him to consider letting go of some of the big names. But, what has to be done has to be done. If MG really believes in AV, then he will make the trades that are necessary for AV to do his job.

I wholeheartedly agree with your statement. Just because a coach cannot get his team to win the Cup does not necessarily mean he should be disposed. AV is continuing to set new franchise records for Vancouver, not to mention the recent two consecutive Presidents' Trophy titles.

I think that AV has develloped our team's athletes in some ways better than any other coach in the league can. You listen to the post game interviews, and every single player has a very good grasp on what went wrong, and what they could have done to improve. As a coach in ANY sport, that is where your greatest responsibility lies. Teaching your players to coach themselves. To evaluate themselves.

But in a team sport such as hockey, a coaches responsibilities lie beyond simply teaching accountabliity and focus to your players. It also lies with being able to inspire your players to make that extra effort to win the battles that win hockey games. This is where AV clearly falls short. The players are simply TOO focused, and not driven to find ways to win the hockey game.

I think that AV has done everything he can with this team. At this point, we have the talent. We have the focus. We have the experience. Now we just need that killer instinct that puts games away.

I believe that instead of ragging on AV our winningest coach who took us to back to back Pres Trophies we should look at our players

Lets take a look at last years SCF - we scored 8 goals in 7 games and expected to win !!!!

Lets take a look at this years RD1 - we scored 8 goals in 5 games and expected to win !!!!

At some point you have to put some onus on the players you do not win any series scoring 8 goals, we have proven that two years in a row. Our coach cant play for us and our goalies can only do so much, do you expect our goalies to score as well. Our players who score need to take a look at themselves and say hey, did I really earn my paycheck this year

Archived