The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Was Management And Coaching Staff Thinking Last 2 Months?

Uller34

It's always easy, in hindsight, to do the would have/should have thing. However, GM's and coaches must act in the moment, without certainty.

I ask you this - if Cody was such an impact player, why did he not make a difference in the Sabres making the playoffs? He went 10 games without registering a point. And, if you excuse him because it takes awhile to blend in and find chemistry, then you must afford Zack the same luxury.

On the one hand, you suggest the team was "lucky" and go on to present a scenario of just squeaking through all year long, aided by losses from other teams. Then, in the next breath, you state "your team is playing fine" and suggest the chemistry shouldn't have been tinkered with. So which side of your mouth can we believe? Were we fine or not? Because no one holds the magic key of knowing EXACTLY what will work. It's a shot in the dark.

That's what GM's and coaches are faced with...if they feel that a few adjustments must be made because their team isn't reaching their full potential, they try things. Again, nothing guaranteed, but it's what they do.

And we, as fans, need to get over it and realize that it isn't a video game where you reset and try again. You roll with the punches and adjust as you go - it may/may not work out.

The only way Cory caused damage in the locker room was by elevating his game to compete in the 3 games he played while most of the team mailed it in.

Whether it was chemistry, coaching, fatigue, arrogance or whatever, The Nucks were never in that series and only made it to 5 because of stellar goaltending. They only won the PT because of great goaltending by Lu and Cory.

THe problem in the Nucks dressing room has nothing to do with goalies.

face it the hodgson kassian trade was and will go down as the biggest upset trade in the history of our team. look at points before and after the trade. two totally different playing styles, kassian with hardly any nhl playing time, and hodgson almost a regular in our lineup. hodgson made no difference in buffalo because buffalo sucks. hahaha. plain and simple. this kassian kid is going to turn into a ryan johnson style grinder anybody saying or thinking he' will be like bertuzzi or any better, get ready for dissapointment. expect this kid to be dealt next year or dissapointment will set in. were screwed if he's a regular in our lineup

face it the hodgson kassian trade was and will go down as the biggest upset trade in the history of our team. look at points before and after the trade. two totally different playing styles, kassian with hardly any nhl playing time, and hodgson almost a regular in our lineup. hodgson made no difference in buffalo because buffalo sucks. hahaha. plain and simple. this kassian kid is going to turn into a ryan johnson style grinder anybody saying or thinking he' will be like bertuzzi or any better, get ready for dissapointment. expect this kid to be dealt next year or dissapointment will set in. were screwed if he's a regular in our lineup

OK, pretty difficult to assess anything at this stage. Let's wait and see how things pan out...sure, Cody appears to be a valuable asset and will likely do well. Can he singlehandedly be an entire team? No, he can't. Is he guaranteed to become the superstar that some predict? No, he's not. And the team has other guys who can fill Cody's role, but needed a bit more grit (which he didn't have). So sure, you have to sacrifice something at times in this game, but it's about the big picture, not one spot.

If in disappointment you mean flash in the pan brilliance...I doubt we'll see that. But I do think Zack may develop into a player whose size/snarl will help us.

You're putting FAR too much emphasis on two guys...neither Cody nor Zack will make/break a team. But it's all about needs and excesses and, with that, finding a balance between all the different roles that are required to make a well rounded team.

Initially, I thought that the Cody deal was hasty and we might have gotten a better offer in the offseason. But, that would be assuming that MG made his move on pure emotion and didn't think it through.... now that I think about it, no way does that describe MG.

MG had already stated that there were 6 young players that he was willing to trade Cody for and maybe Kass was on the top of his list? He went with his first choice and they bit... make the deal. It would be a bigger gamble to wait for the offseason where Cody's weakness' might have been exposed during the playoffs and there's no room for mistakes, where a two way game is crucial, dropping his value. Had Cody put up similar numbers playing for us as he did in Buffalo... we might not be able to trade him for Kass in the offseason.

Cory did not do any damage to the locker room and Lou's fate is not sealed...I don't know how you would come to the conclusion on the feelings in the locker room? and I don't know why you think Lou's fate is sealed?

You're not in the locker room and it was not Lou's fault last year or this year...MG knows this and he might just be waiting for the right offer to come along for Schneids. Schneids would bring in a lot more to this team that would make us better now and in the future and Lou would still be an elite goalie, especially if he had a proper top 4 Dman helping him out.

I've wondered about this too. They seem more concerned with getting players back on the ice as soon as possible than with getting them healthy for the long term.

Kesler has now admitted he came back too soon after his surgery in the off-season. There was no rush at the time but they put him in the line-up anyway. Hodgson's back was mis-diagnosed and they tried to confince him to play in spite of his insistance that something was still wrong. Daniel came back for the power play right after the Duncan Keith elbow instead of sitting for precautionary measures. Raymond should have been stretchered off the ice in Boston but instead was made to get to his feet with a neck/back injury.

Ah yes, another armchair GM/coach who thinks he knows better in hindsight. There may have been more that could be done to right the ship, but I don't disagree with the trades as they were made or the decision to switch goalies after game 2.

Archived