The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Realistically, Which And How Many Rookies Can We Get For Lu?

My theory of what MG will do during the off-season is that he will trade Lu for prospects instead of a roster player. Why? Because our 2 main weaknesses on our roster (Number 1 D-man and 2nd line winger) can be filled out via free agency. It looks like Ryan Suter will be leaving Nashville although Parise would likely stay in NJ if the Devils get past this round, there are still other options out there.

Because of this, and how we're up against the cap, we'll need to figure out how we can improve the team without working too much cap space off. As it stands, hockeysfuture.com has us 29th out of 30th in prospect ratings and therefore we have one of the worst prospect pools in the NHL.

Therefore, I believe MG will trade Lu for a few prospects. Thus we will fill out our roster spots without giving up assets and further secure this franchises future.

My guess is Brett Connolly + 10th overall from Tampa.

What do you guys think?

Suuuuurrrreeeeee......

I guess that's why MG traded for Ballard at the draft in June while knowing he was gonna for sure 100% sign Hamhuis in July.

So I guess MG is gonna for sure 100% get Suter and Parise cuz the other 29 teams have no interest in them.

/sarcasm

I don't think we get Parise OR Suter, if you get one or both that pretty much leaves two options the year after...

We lose Edler and burrows to UFA as we have little wiggle room to resign them

and/or

We can't sign Weber to a 4-6 year deal here

I'd rather leave a spot open for one of our prospects to shine through be it, Jensen, Kassian or Schroeder.

I don't think we get Parise OR Suter, if you get one or both that pretty much leaves two options the year after...

We lose Edler and burrows to UFA as we have little wiggle room to resign them

and/or

We can't sign Weber to a 4-6 year deal here

I'd rather leave a spot open for one of our prospects to shine through be it, Jensen, Kassian or Schroeder.

Lu will be with us next year as CS will bring a better return, Cory has played great for us but he is going to make close to Loungo cap hit as a starter and is not a proven goalie, he has only played 76 games in the NHL including playoffs but he has a huge amount of hype and might prove to an excellent goalie in the future. This team is strong in goalie prospects and has a good record of developing goalies and Cory IMO will bring a better package than Lu.

Few goalies have played as well as Loungo the last few years and none of them have the same low cap hit just be thankful for what we have, if AV can figure out how to get the players to score some goals when we need them we will be fine.

Archived