The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wanting To Leave My Job Need Advice

CanuckGAME

Well in 1996 when i bought my house, i was making 45 000 a year. Now the house prices are two and a half times what i paid, hydro is more than double every month, gas is more than double now... i'm just saying that it is not easy. I can't imagine buying a house and raising two kids now with that wage. I made 73 000 last year and honestly it is not enough. We do not have a luxurious life, that is just supporting us and two kids, maintaining a house and two vehicles that are both more than 9 years old now.

The work is out there but now you have to move away to get it. Northern B.C and Alberta are begging for people for all trades and entry level workers... starting wage would be what i made last year and up... there are also a lot of mine jobs open now that pay really well too.

50k per year is pretty standard for sales jobs. In fact, if he's working corporate sales that's on the lower end.

And no you don't need education to be a good salesperson. You need talent. So saying you make more than people with "x" amount of education is ridiculous.

OP, the advice I would give is that sales is fun when you are young, but might not be so fun when you are older. I would suggest expanding your horizons while you have the chance. Once you get to your late 20s, you probably won't have the opportunity to return to school.

$50k for 22 year old with no degree is an excellent salary, congrats.

The thing is, the most abundant jobs in BC are sales jobs. With some sales experience you will have no problem moving onto another sales job. So why don't you? Why stay in a place you hate? Work on your cover letter/resume, apply to 10 jobs a day and you'll have a new job in no time.

A diploma/degree is highly over-rated, and I'm sorry to say this but there is very little you can do in 1 year unless you want to get into the trades.

If you're good at sales, there are definitely jobs out their that allow the potential of 50k + per year when your factor in commission. Looks at jobs with established companies in any field (shaw cable,telus,bell,Gm,ford,remax etc).

But like another poster said, Look for a job now while you're still currently employed. You have the luxury of weighing your options and waiting for the right job to pop up. Also consider where you want to be in 5-10 years. Does the company allow for career development? I know from experience that commission jobs are great during the good years, but tough in the bad ones. So being able to establish yourself with the company and moving up towards a more stable salary based position will be beneficial as you get older.

The world is full of bitter people who pray on younger people because they aren't happy with their own life, and/or are jealous that you start with a good salary. As you grow older, you will feel the same towards the next generation. As long as you like the job, keep it. If not, well, start applying elsewhere and see how it goes but remember that you shouldn't let co-workers upset you. It's likely that they don't care about you, nor should you care about them. You see them at work, and that's it. Friends and Family outside of work is all that's important.

Conclusion: Jerks are all over the place. Just ignore them and just make sure you have your own "posse" at work. Talking about the jerks with your group will make you feel better, plus it's something to talk about when you're bored. Assuming that, not all of your co-workers are jerks.

Lol - you think ordinary salesman make 50 k?

Have you even looked at the average salary for a Canadian? It's nowhere near 50 k.

For pete's sake, the average Canadian salary for Canadian LAWYERS is roughly 30-40 k. Salesman would most likely have it lower with the potential to earn more but would have to EARN commission.

You're just out to lunch.

Regarding education, I am totally not denying that education is a great thing. You can always go back though. I've been through university and honestly, I find working to be a great way to grow up. School doesn't allow you to do that, especially if you're bankrolled by your parents.

To be honest... I had a 50k a year job... I don't even have my grade 12 (though had I passed 1 class I would have a degree in french and english) The company split because the owners ended up in a divorce type situation.

I moved to Vancouver, and I was offered A LOT more money immediately.

My point is, there is a lot of losers out there... even ones with degrees. If you have a good skill set and you can sell yourself to an employer, your set.

Maybe I got lucky? Maybe you will too.

It's a shame that you are as closed minded as you are...guess you've had bad experiences with recruiters, and I suppose everyone is a product of their experiences.

My post was intended for the OP, so really, your thoughts and opinions related to this topic is entirely irrelevant.

For the record, I don't work for Searchwest, but know the principals there and they are genuinely interested in helping companies find the right candidates. I've used them in the past to conduct the first phase of filtering of candidates only because that is a time-consuming process. I don't consider myself to be lazy...efficient, but not lazy. With their help, I've managed to build a pretty good company.

Good luck to you...I hope you are in a job that pays you well and that you enjoy. With your attitude, you would be SOL if that weren't the case.

If you are half decent at sales, you should be able to make 50k per year easily. You've obviously never worked in that industry. When I was working at a cell phone store, our best full time salesmen made that easily, and that's a retail job. The outside sales guys in the same company made 80k+.

The vast majority of guys in corporate outside sales will be making at least 50k. That being said, it's not an easy industry to survive in and the people who are bad at it get weeded out quickly. If OP has survived this long, it shows he has talent. Sales talent can easily be applied to other industries. So OP I would take the opportunity to look around.

As for this average salary for lawyers being 30-40k that is BS. I don't care what the statistics say. I'm a lawyer and I don't know any actual lawyer who makes that little. I graduated three years ago and we all make a fair bit more than 40k. Things go up quickly from there. I know many lawyers in their 50s making 300-500k a year. 30-40k might be the average articling salary.

Also, all this "average salary" in Canada stuff is also heavily heavily skewed. It doesn't take into accont people who don't pay their taxes, write off too much stuff, and are engaged in illegal business. I look at a lot of tax returns all day. Virtually every person who runs their own business, is a contractor, is a trades person, etc.. all horribly under report their incomes. As for illegal activity, in BC the marijuana industry alone may be the largeste single industry in BC. None of that income is reported.

i quit my job on the the 16th sappose to get paid on the 18th, so they stop payment process for check scheduled for the 18th, which i think is illegal cause it wasnt really my last check. so i waited patiently cause the 3 day policie thing is u quit. i asked them not to mail and i will pick up. and they said ok it will be ready on the 24th.. on the 24th i call to see if its ready and they say sorry we thought it was more convinent to mail it to me... it is now thw 29th should i sue? or what?

If you are half decent at sales, you should be able to make 50k per year easily. You've obviously never worked in that industry. When I was working at a cell phone store, our best full time salesmen made that easily, and that's a retail job. The outside sales guys in the same company made 80k+.

The vast majority of guys in corporate outside sales will be making at least 50k. That being said, it's not an easy industry to survive in and the people who are bad at it get weeded out quickly. If OP has survived this long, it shows he has talent. Sales talent can easily be applied to other industries. So OP I would take the opportunity to look around.

As for this average salary for lawyers being 30-40k that is BS. I don't care what the statistics say. I'm a lawyer and I don't know any actual lawyer who makes that little. I graduated three years ago and we all make a fair bit more than 40k. Things go up quickly from there. I know many lawyers in their 50s making 300-500k a year. 30-40k might be the average articling salary.

Also, all this "average salary" in Canada stuff is also heavily heavily skewed. It doesn't take into accont people who don't pay their taxes, write off too much stuff, and are engaged in illegal business. I look at a lot of tax returns all day. Virtually every person who runs their own business, is a contractor, is a trades person, etc.. all horribly under report their incomes. As for illegal activity, in BC the marijuana industry alone may be the largeste single industry in BC. None of that income is reported.

Archived