The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Poll/discussion)Would You Want Hasek As Cory's Backup Next Year?

Gino Gino Gino

Goalie next year?  

227 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nope Hasek is started at 2 year 2.5 mil dollar contract, for starter goalie. Luo + Schnider get traded to other teams and Lack gets brought up to back up Hasek for his remaining time in the NHL by that time we may get a decent back up goalie for Lack when Hasek leaves... Yeaaaa long shot and i'd probably get flamed for a gamble like that but Hasek is the man.

At 47, it goes beyond still being in shape. Your reaction time diminishes steadily with age, no matter how good of shape he is in his RT will be significantly diminished and in the NHL he will get lit up. Yes Chelios, and Howe did it (howe also played in a very different era) but RT is significantly more crucial being a goalie compared to a skater.

Something else people need to consider about Hasek is that he played in an era where flopping and covering the bottom half of the ice would pay off more than it does now. At that time with many goalies still playing a stand up style it was far more effective to shoot low, Hasek's style took advantage of that. Now shooters are looking to shoot high more often than not as pretty much every goalie in hte league covers the bottom of the net. My prediction Hasek comes back flops around like a fish while players score several goals top corner.

it would be a good choice as back up. I mean one thing people seem to forget is that if (or when) we lose/trade/move one of our goalies another one needs to be added. The back-up must be like Schnieder as in he must be able to be capable of winning games and play a good 20-30 games per season. I do not want to see this team trade Luongo and have Schnieder forced to play 70+ games....thats what we did with Luongo when he first came here and obviously it affects the goaltender's performance in the post-season and in the long run of the season.

If luongo is gone schneider doesn't really have a older mentor anymore so whether it's hasek or not I think getting a goalie that has cup winning experience to share with schneider wouldn't be a bad thing. Though I do really want to see lack come up and canatta start for the wolves.

*Hasek as backup and schneider as starter

Something else people need to consider about Hasek is that he played in an era where flopping and covering the bottom half of the ice would pay off more than it does now. At that time with many goalies still playing a stand up style it was far more effective to shoot low, Hasek's style took advantage of that. Now shooters are looking to shoot high more often than not as pretty much every goalie in hte league covers the bottom of the net. My prediction Hasek comes back flops around like a fish while players score several goals top corner.

All good points. Clemmenson is an interesting idea that I hadn't thought of, though I do worry about what he might cost. But I suggested Hasek for the demonstration of work ethic, stabilizing presence a hall of famer brings, the fact that he could handle more than 20 games to help transition Cory, and the fact that he wouldn't want more than a one year contract (for Lack's sake).

Archived