The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Bure's #10 be retired/be in the Ring of Honour?

ChrisCo!

#10 Retired or Ring of Honour?   

293 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I guess Patrick Roy shouldn't have been retired either!!

He was the only true really big high profile superstar of the Organization

He sparked a mania!!

Even growing up in Saskatchewan I and all of my friends would fight over who was Bure when we played shinny!

Do you know who was running the team when he asked for a trade?

Hell I'd probably to the same thing, plus I woulda had assault charges to deal with!

Come on home Pavel!!

We forgive you!!

He sparked a mania!!

Even growing up in Saskatchewan I and all of my friends would fight over who was Bure when we played shinny!

Hell I'd probably to the same thing, plus I woulda had assault charges to deal with!

Come on home Pavel!!

We forgive you!!

He sparked a mania!!

Come on home Pavel!!

We forgive you!!

I gotta agree with the OP. A jersey should only be retired by a team if the player was an integral part of the team both on and off the ice. The jerseys that hang in Rogers Arena belong to Canucks that we're exactly that. All three we're leaders for this team on the ice and in the community. While they may not have been as skilled as Bure they had a bigger impact on this organization as a whole then Bure would have done even if he never left.

Pavel Bure was easily the best player ever to wear a Canucks uniform. I saw him play many times. Every time he touched the puck the entire crowd stood up in anticipation of a possible scoring chance...even when he had just begun skating from his own end. Pat Quinn nailed it when he described him as "electrifying". OP is suggesting Kesler and Burrows deserve their sweaters retired over Bure?? Give your head a shake. Bure is one of the greatest players ever to play the game, in any era. There have been many players over the years comparable to both Kesler and Burrows.

Yes, Bure had a falling out with organization in the end. That doesn't mean he disliked the city or the fans. His problem was with management, who treated him poorly. The reason the Canucks have put so much emphasis in the past on community involvement when retiring sweaters is because they haven't had any true superstars to honour. Bure was the first true star we ever had. The Sedins may be the next ones but they will never bring fans out of their seats the way Bure did on a regular basis.

When it comes to retiring sweaters, achievements on the ice should trump everything else. The guy scored 60 goals twice!

I remember the first time I saw Bure interviewed, before he had yet played a game for us. They asked him something like what was so special about him. What did the fans have to look forward to? He said, "I'm fastest skater in world".

I gotta agree with the OP. A jersey should only be retired by a team if the player was an integral part of the team both on and off the ice. The jerseys that hang in Rogers Arena belong to Canucks that we're exactly that. All three we're leaders for this team on the ice and in the community. While they may not have been as skilled as Bure they had a bigger impact on this organization as a whole then Bure would have done even if he never left.

There is a good chance that if Bure never came to Vancouver the franchise would not have survived the 90's and would no longer exhist.

That is all. End of debate.

BEST PLAYER to ever wear a canucks uniform.

To the rafters.

Other clubs have retired numbers based solely on skill. For example, Terry Sawchuk mood was often dark, depressed. I think he also once threw a skate at one unlucky reporter. Still, he remains one of the best goalies all-time, and his number sits up in the rafters at Joe Louis Arena.

There is a good chance that if Bure never came to Vancouver the franchise would not have survived the 90's and would no longer exhist.

That is all. End of debate.

BEST PLAYER to ever wear a canucks uniform.

To the rafters.

Archived