The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Salo and Rome...

disisdayear

As much as I hate to see Salo leave the Canucks, it's good to see him end up with a great contract from the Lightning. No doubt he wasn't offered anything close to what he was offered by Stevie Y by MG, so good on Sami for landing where he did. My concerns about Sami's departure is losing his calming/veteran influence (especially on Edler) and a right hand shot from the back end.

As well, it's god to see Rome end up in big D for 3 years at $4.5MM...I like what he brought to the Canucks, though I thought he would have been more of a fighter (based on his AHL resume).

The best thing about Sami and Rome's departure is that it forces AV's hand in that he won't have neither as a fall back position.

Hopefully Garrison is a younger, left handed version of Sami, Ballard can rediscover his game that made him a top 4 from his days with the Coyotes and Panthers, and Tanev can be another 10 to 20 pounds heavier (and continue to develop so that it will make all of us forget about the Schultz).

It looks like the youth movement on the back end has begun...average age on the blue line just dropped by at least 1.5 years with departure of Salo and signing of Garrison. Rome will most likely be replaced by a platoon of Sauve and Connaughton (making us even younger).

As much as I hate to see Salo leave the Canucks, it's good to see him end up with a great contract from the Lightning. No doubt he wasn't offered anything close to what he was offered by Stevie Y by MG, so good on Sami for landing where he did. My concerns about Sami's departure is losing his calming/veteran influence (especially on Edler) and a right hand shot from the back end.

As well, it's god to see Rome end up in big D for 3 years at $4.5MM...I like what he brought to the Canucks, though I thought he would have been more of a fighter (based on his AHL resume).

The best thing about Sami and Rome's departure is that it forces AV's hand in that he won't have neither as a fall back position.

Hopefully Garrison is a younger, left handed version of Sami, Ballard can rediscover his game that made him a top 4 from his days with the Coyotes and Panthers, and Tanev can be another 10 to 20 pounds heavier (and continue to develop so that it will make all of us forget about the Schultz).

It looks like the youth movement on the back end has begun...average age on the blue line just dropped by at least 1.5 years with departure of Salo and signing of Garrison. Rome will most likely be replaced by a platoon of Sauve and Connaughton (making us even younger).

i would have wanted salo and rome to return, but signing garrison made sense. yes i agree, it would be a good opportunity for our Ds in the AHL to step up, be the depth guy, so we can get younger, and they will get the chance to play in the nhl. we still have alberts (though he's not my favourite depth guy, i still prefer Rome), but if it doesn't work out then the club can always get a veteran depth guy.

Garrison is younger, has pretty much the same one timer as Salo's, and he hasnt peaked yet- he could still get much better- and he is already good. and of course he's a local boy. glad that we signed him - so we can all get over the Schultz rejection - and this is i think a better option for us- jason is a vet and not a rookie. Schultz wanted to be a 1st d right away, a big fish in a small pond, and jason accepted less money to be part of a cup contender, and be closer to home - that's more in line with the character guys that MG always speak of, and i guess, has the "heart of a canuck".so yeah, I'm excited!

An old friends brother was born without hands or forearms (thanks doctors for the thalidamide), but he could out-golf me and beat me at pool too. I was amazed as I'm really good at all sports, but this guy was even better than most will ever be.

He inspired me to learn to learn to use both sides of my body, especially through injuries and over-use wear and tear to one side or the other. It's excellent brain training as well.

Whatever activity your doing: Hockey, Golf, Frisbee, Football, Soccer, Darts, Pool etc., learn to do it with your opposite hand or foot, and you'll be amazed at the new skills you develop in terms of one side is more powerfull, while the other side is more accurate.

Just thought I'd throw that out there as we have alot of lefties on this team, that after a few months to a few years of practice could become swing shooters.

I don't really see how it's a good thing losing these two. Sami can play either side which certainly has value on it's own, and is still capable in any pairing. While Rome played his simple physical role very well.

It's a shame Salo wouldn't settle for a year by year deal and $1.5 for Rome is a little too much for a guy that will spend half the season in the pressbox.

Archived