The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Gillis wants vs. what Tallon wants to give

Southpop45

208 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is what I've been thinking. Why is Tallon going to give up the packages you guys are all asking for when he doesn't need Luongo. The Panthers made the playoffs and went to double OT in the seventh game against the Stanley Cup finalists. They are stacked with young talent on D, in goal and up front. I'm thinking they are poised to make a solid run. I can't see why Tallon breaks up all his great work to acquire a goalie he doesn't need.

A couple of thoughts...

Don't think Theodore will waive his NTC to come here, given that he'd be the clear backup. There are places he can go where he can still be a 1a goalie. Look for the Canucks to sign Crys Huet after the Luongo deal gets done. He has a history with Roland Melanson.

I think Versteeg is the player Gillis has targeted in Florida. I think if Gillis was willing to take a secondary prospect like Skille or Seabrooke and Tallon was willing to take Raymond or ballard back in the deal, it would get done in 5 minutes.

The way I see it, Gillis is asking for Versteeg, Howden, a first round pick and that Tallon takes Raymond or Ballard back in the deal, whereas Tallon is likely offering Versteeg, a secondary prospect and the pick for Luongo alone.

When this finally gets done, I think we may find that it involves another team in a deal with either Van or FLA that gets done shortly after Lou gets moved. e.g. Tallon takes Raymond and flips him and Theodore to a team that still needs goaltending.

It's not about goaltending, it's about having a player that can put butts in seats..........they desperately need a face for their franchise, they haven't had one since Lu left........they need to sell tix in a bad way.

Given a chance to pick up a top shelf goalie is never a bad idea.

Does FLA need him? Maybe not but no way would he hurt & I'd argue he'd improve the team!

Panthers were 25th on the PK last year; far better at home vs on the road and middle of the pack in OT.

Panthers were outscored 3 to 1 on 4 on 4 situations and have a negative balance 5 on 5 play

The last 10 games of the season Florida was deal last with a 2-3-5 record.

All of this points to the fact the net position can be improved IMO.

To say the net is solid in FLA is a matter of opinion still Lou would improve a few of the above stats!

I think Tallon's issue is giving up a prospect. I say it is a greater gamble on the Canucks part as a prospect is just that & Lou is proven.

But I still think Chicago is a more likely destination even TO.

I'm not sold on Florida actually wanting to pursue a Stanley Cup in earnest, making the playoffs seems good enough without having to break the bank on players capable of going all the way.

Toronto is the best fit for Luongo out of any team that really needs him but I do not think Luongo is waiving to go there. I think as we get towards training camp. Lui will change his tune and open up his options.

Chicago is a long shot . They would like him but not for the kings ransom we would need because we might have to face Luongo in the first round. It would have to be over payment.

So its really Toronto and his destination , Florida . The Panthers dont need him but their goaltending is over rated . Both are older goalies . One underachieved after a brilliant start but has sucked everywhere else. The other is a career back up. Both combined equal 2.7mil bucks cap hit and it aint because they took steep discounts.

Leafs are the best opportunity for Luongo to regain his all star status and be the hero of the flailing franchise. I just think he needs convincing to go there.

I wouldn't mind a package of Theodore, Skille, and a 1st rounder for just Luongo.

* I'd expect this to be the package with maybe more if were giving something more.   Sort of mirrors the Luongo trade in '06.

I don't really know what type of player Skille is or could become, but if he were to come to us in a deal for Lui, we would be his third NHL team in 7 years. He has barely held on to an NHL job the last few years so not sure what MG would see in him or where he would fit into our lineup as a right winger.Now that I think about it, MG's moneyball philosophy may make Skille just the type of player he is looking for.

Archived