The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis on Team 1040 - 9/28/12

Strombone1

It maybe time to consult your doctor and get your medication bumped up as I truly have no clue what you are talking about here.

I am a recent poster here on this site and have never posted here under any other name.In fact if Canucks Central was still around I'd be posting there under the only other name I've ever posted anywhere on the net. Mikeh-that is me.

As to the bottom 6 in the nonis years versus the Gillis bottom six

Nonis:

Matt Cooke

Jarko Ruutu

Trevor linden

Ryan Kesler

Rick Rypien

Seems pretty good to me.

Of the Gillis group I'd say only Malhotra, prior to his injury and Higgins compare favourably. I'd also say Hansen but he was around for part of the nonis era as well.In the next season, if there is one, Lappy may be better than most in the Nonis era.

WHAT?!?!?

You're telling me that you think there's a team out there that offered Garrison (Jason Garrett is the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys, by the way) a 6-year deal, at $5.5M per?!? The term is critical - on a 1 or a 2-year deal, sure, maybe. But over 6 years, $5.5M per? Is that what you're actually saying?!?

Just wanted to point this out... from Bob McKenzie's Twitter on July 1st:

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie

Garrison left $ on table - was offered "Wideman money" elsewhere - but wanted to play for hometown VAN, which held firm on internal $ scale.

It maybe time to consult your doctor and get your medication bumped up as I truly have no clue what you are talking about here.

I am a recent poster here on this site and have never posted here under any other name.In fact if Canucks Central was still around I'd be posting there under the only other name I've ever posted anywhere on the net. Mikeh-that is me.

As to the bottom 6 in the nonis years versus the Gillis bottom six

Nonis:

Matt Cooke

Jarko Ruutu

Trevor linden

Ryan Kesler

Rick Rypien

Seems pretty good to me.

Of the Gillis group I'd say only Malhotra, prior to his injury and Higgins compare favourably. I'd also say Hansen but he was around for part of the nonis era as well.In the next season, if there is one, Lappy may be better than most in the Nonis era.

That would seem pretty good but there's quite a bit more to it than that.

Cooke was mostly a bottom 6 player and was good. He was in fact the shining light of this teams bottom 6.

Kesler actually started playing second line duties in 2006/07 season but prior to that had that nickname "hands of stone" which while he would grow out of he was still an agitator with skill.

Ruutu was also a good player; can't argue with that at all. He was here for only one season under nonis and scored a grand total of 17 points. Scoring wasn't his role though he was really an agitator..just like Kesler until he developed.

Linden always was good no matter what role he had. He wasn't exactly providing a lot of scoring however even in a bottom 6 role.

Rypien wasn't very good. I'm sorry I know it's terrible to speak ill of the dead so that is where I will leave it I will say this though having a guy on a list you think is pretty good that played a total of 27 games and provided next to no offense shows how poor the bottom 6 really was. Here's a list of other bottom 6 players who played for Nonis. Most of which also played more than Rypien

Bottom 6 05/06

Rick Rypien

Tyler Bouck

Wade Brookbank

Lee Goren

Jash Green

ALex Burrows

Trevor Linden

Jarko Ruutu

Ryan Kesler

Richard Park

Ryan Kesler

Kesler and Burrows and Ruutu all agitators. Poor bottom 6 if you ask me.

06/07

No Rypien

Goren

Reid

Bouck

Moran

Chouinard

Santala

Burrows

Cowan

Linden

Kesler

Cooke/Pyatt (iirc kept going back and forth onto the second line)

Yeesh. Kesler not the player he is now so we're still looking at him and Burrows being agitators mostly but this was the season Kesler started really showing what he was going to develop into. Cowan had a nice streak for a few games...uhhh...that's about it.

07/08

Cooke/Pettinger

Hansen :Give credit where it's due. Nonis is the guy who saw that Hansen deserved a shot. I totally give him credit for that.

Cowan

Brown

Rypien (got 22 games that season. Correct me if I'm wrong though I think he got injured this season so I wouldn't count that against him but still an odd choice for your list.

Jaffrey

Ritchie

Isbister

Linden

Shannon

Raymond (Same as Hansen I give credit to Nonis for giving him a chance)

This might be the worst of all 3 years.

So in 05/06the bottom 6 had 142 points. That's the best of the 3 seasons. Nonis started with a much better bottom 6 than what he left the team with.

Bottom 6 11/12

Hansen 39

Hodgson/Kassian 33/3

Malhotra 18

Higgins 43

Lappiere 19

Raymond 20

Pahlson 6

Ebbett 6

Bitz 4

Duco 2

Volpatti 1

That's 224 points. I would have liked to have taken both GM's 3rd year but again Nonis best bottom 6 was in his first year so I thought I'd let that one speak out for him.

I know there's more than points to hockey and Nonis certainly seemed to love having agitators on the bottom 6 but it's just no contest here. You're list is lovely but Rypien has no business on it; Kesler was a good bottom 6 player but not even close to the same player he is now and Cooke was a very good player who went between the first and second line.

Sorry my meds are just fine.

"Nothin huh... "

Hey some of us work for a living.

Still think I'm somone else?

Linden was good on draws and very good at the shoot out, plus he provided veteran leadership with the ability to play on the top lines for short periods of time.

Rypien was a good forechecker and provided a physical element that has yet to be replaced.

Ruuttu and Cooke were difficult to play against and ensured the other team played with their heads up.

put them against:

Malhota is still the better face-off guy

Hansen has improved over the years as well

hodgson was a good playmaker

More scoring from the recent folk but as you pointed out stats aren't everything.

I'm not sure the new guys are better as much as they are just different.

Archived