The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Putting a price tag on war with Iran

key2thecup

Well, if US did decide to attack Iran, I will bet Iran will attack all the surrounding US base camps in Iraq and Afghanistan and will probably arm the Hamas to the teeth in their ongoing battle with Israel. It will be chaos for the Israeli people and the American bases near Iran. Iraq will probably become a battle ground.

USA forgets about these things:

1) Iran has an airforce and can defend itself, and they have allies (Russia, China, etc)

2) an angry mob using junkyard weapons can be a very hard challenge, because this angry mob will give their lifes to destroy the "intruders"...

3) let´s imagine that Iran really has a nuclear weapon, they will use them for sure if USA/Israel bomb them...

4) with a very high tecnology the USA had a very hard task against the rebels from Iraq and Afeganisthan. and the rebels used old soviet weapons. again, junkyard battle isn´t easy, it looks easy but it isn´t...

5) I´m not sure if USA really wants another war. the economy isn´t wonderfull enought to spend on weapons...

6) it will cost a trillion at the 1st moment, but if the conflict goes longer it will cost more...

You lack reading comprehension. I never said Iran would surrender if the USA bombed their Nuke facilities I said they would surrender if the USA started to bomb their military. 1st you take out lines of communication then you bomb the crap out of their positions then their commanders run a way and the rest scatter or surrender.

Dittohead.

I agree with you that Iran´s airforce is obsolete and if Iran decide for a nuclear strike would be insane...

BUT:

1) even obsolete is an airfoce, and as happened in Vetnam USAF isn´t 100% invincible, in Vietnam an old MIG-15 destroyed many F-4, F-4 was bigger and not agile compared to MIG-15 and the soviet jet was cheaper...

a brand new F-22 is 5 times more expensive than Iran´s F-14...

2) I´m not sure if Russia or China would be quiet if Iran needs some help. the point is, how USA would react if one of them (or both) decide help Iran with weapons or even more?

3) the locals may decide protect themselves on some sort of "guerrilha" style. even with the country is caos the locals may unite themselves to fight the "enemy from distant lands" it can be a hard challenge because the conflict can be extended for many and many months. and somebody in USA will have to pay the bill. and I´m not sure if the "payers" will like...

4) in 11/9 was diferent, the terrorist did first, but if USA decides for the first step will be diferent. and there´s always a possibility of more "11/9" around the globe.

5) lets just imagine that China decides have their money back (the money borrowed to USA). if USA goes for a war with Iran they will be to concentrated in a military action because the enemy is bigger this time, and it´s more agressive. how Washington will react if the economy goes to another crisis during the war?

6) let´s just imagine that the other arabic countries decide help Iran.

even with a high tecnology a war with Iran wouldn´t be easy, and let´s hope that Russia or China decide be "quiet" because if one of them decide "go for it" things can be REALLY hard...

You never saw the thousands and thousands of Iraqi army waving white flags in 1991 and 2003 it took 21 days to roll on Bahgdad in 03 and just a month or so for Iraq army to be destroyed in 91 with a kill ratio of about a thousand to 1.. Afghan does'nt have an army they have an insurgency and hide behind women and children.

So what's your point? that's what I'm saying. I'm not talking about invading and taking over their country. That's another story and no one is interested in that mess again but most of the violence after Saddam was toppled was muslims settling scores with other muslims with the USA in the middle trying to play cop..anyway Iraq is free job done.

The kind of nuke Iran would have would be a small crude one. Even if they were still able to get it into Tel Aviv (the best target), it would have the kind of casualties that the bombing of Hiroshima had (around 100k after you include the effects of radiation and fire). Meanwhile, Israel most likely has an arsenal of advanced Thermonuclear-type devices that can be launched from ICBMs. Estimates put Israel's arsenal in the 200 range.

Regardless of Israel's small size, Iran does not want to get into a nuclear exchange with Israel.

It will cost many American lives. It will be the new Vietnam. USA will not win. USA can cripple their air force and thats about it. Vietnam had no air force and even USA coudln't defeat them. I don't think Iran will be defeated. Their army is around half a million, but their reserves is at 2 million. On top of that, one of every 6 people in Iran is a Paramilatery. So lets say they are like the "rebels" in Syria. So there is 10 million rebel fights in Syria defending their country, along side 2.5 million trained soldiers. U.S army with it's reserves is only a little over 3 million. Also we don't know if Russia will help. I the U.S decieds to invade Iran, it would be the biggest milatery mistake in American history.

Oh yes that's why the Iraq war lasted from 2003-2011, and that's why the Afghan war has become the longest war in Canadian military history.

Its one thing to bomb military infrastructure, its another to 'take-over' a entire country.

Actually its not that hard.

What is hard is invading and staying and trying to build a country

US would roll Iran so fast if it came to a take no prisoners approach.

Also the idea that Iran is some homogenous society is laughable.

US cripples the security apparatus and everyones out to get theirs.

Archived