The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

GOP Lawmaker Urges No Donations to Republicans

dudeone

GOP Lawmaker Urges No Donations to Republicans

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2013/01/02/gop_lawmaker_urges_no_donations_to_republicans.html

Rep. Peter King (R-NY) "went to war with his Republican colleagues on Wednesday after leaders spiked a Hurricane Sandy relief bill, calling on New Yorkers to stop all donations to GOP House members," Politico reports.

Said King: "These Republicans have no problem finding New York when they're out raising millions of dollars. They're in New York all the time filling their pockets with money from New Yorkers. I'm saying right now, anyone from New York or New Jersey who contributes one penny to congressional Republicans is out of their minds. Because what they did last night was put a knife in the back of New Yorkers and New Jerseyans. It was an absolute disgrace."

He added: "As far as I'm concerned, I'm on my own. They're going to have to go a long way to get my vote on anything."

This is what preceded that:

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2013/01/02/house_gop_shelves_hurricane_aid_bill.html

House GOP Shelves Hurricane Aid Bill

"House Republicans abruptly pulled the plug Tuesday night on their promise to take up this week an emergency supplemental disaster aid bill for Northeast states damaged by Hurricane Sandy," Politico reports.

"The decision is a stunning reversal since just hours before New Jersey lawmakers were preparing for floor debate Wednesday as outlined under a strategy promoted by no less than Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA) ... Absent a change of heart, the upshot now is that the Senate bill will die with this Congress on Thursday at noon. And the whole affair is sure to bring back memories of the famous Daily News headline in 1975 -- Ford to City: Drop Dead."

Most interesting: Democratic and Republican members from states affected by the storm took to the floor late Tuesday after the fiscal cliff vote to protest the decision, urging the leadership to reconsider. When a motion to adjourn for the night was put forth, the nos far outnumbered the ayes, but the presiding member adjourned anyway.

Archived