The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Bc boy that got away

Captain-Canuck2562

The BC boy didn't want to play in BC. He just didn't see himself getting the opportunity and didn't want to play on our 3rd pairing for 5-6 years. Who would he displace on our top 4? Edler? Garrison? Hamhuis? Bieksa? He wanted to play on the top 4 and that is why he went to Edmonton.

Don't get me wrong I'm happy with our d core this year but how nice would this kid look in our line up. I just wish Gillis was just more aggressive and pulled out all stops to get this kid. It angers me know watching a BC boy playing for a division rival. Especially one as talented as Schultz.

Our

Most of our scouting staff are the same people as the Burke /Nonis staff. You can look at every draft year and find one or two examples of players could have found in later rounds.

For a player like Schultz to want big money and guaranteed minutes before playing one second in this league speaks to his character in my opinion. We offered him fair $$ and a chance to play with the team he dreamed of playing for his whole life and he opts for the easy road. He may end up having a solid career but I won't miss not having this guy in a Canucks jersey.

What was the mystery ingredient that Gillis held back that cost us?

It's your chance people, enough with the lack of evidence being your evidence, put on the table the EXACT missing piece that would have otherwise landed us the kid.

Not just:

Gillis went to get Shultz

Shultz went elsewhere

Gillis failed

Set a meet with the Sedins and Schnieder, present the fact it's a winning culture that he'd be playing a role in. Specifically top 4 dman minutes at first with the potential of being top two. They had nothing to lose here. There was a lot of hype about this kid for a reason. Yes it's only been one game in the nhl so far, but to tell me he didn't look solid out there is crazy! Plus the fact of what he pulled of in the Ahl. Yes it's Ahl, but considering all the hype and eyes on him to preform, he's so far done that in spades. Yes it's early but again Gillis should have done more!

Tell us EXACTLY what Gillis did wrong that would have landed us Shultz.

Archived