The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

alberts trade +1

papagrizz

to Ottawa: Andrew Alberts

to Van: 4th round pick

to Columbus: Yann Sauve, 4th round pick

to Van: Colton Gillies

Canucks don't really need Alberts with Vandermeer and Joslin, Ottawa need some depth on defence.

Columbus is obviously rebuilding and want all the picks they can get, Colton Gillies would be a 4th line center, when Kesler comes back he would be there for depth.

While I still see Ottawa "trying" for the rest of the season. With their top 2 players out now (Spezza is out another4 weeks) I just don't see them trying to compensate and will probably write off this shortened season.

While they are close to the floor as it is.. They do have some youth that could take charge in this shortened season, and they also have some UFA's that could add some picks if need be (Alfy, Gonchar, Latendresse)

Alberts is hardly the upgrade a team with needs for defence (like Ottawa or Detroit) is looking for. Having said that, I'm much more comfortable with him as our 7th/8th guy than I would be with Joslin, who is generally terrible. Vandermeer has his pros, but I don't expect a lot out of Barker and would rather keep some depth.

If Detroit or Ottawa go after someone, it's someone they think can step up into a top 4 role and help them make the playoffs, not someone who will be only a little better than someone they could call up from the AHL or sign as a UFA. Ballard is someone like that, as would be a young player like Despres in Pittsburgh, Savard in Columbus, or Oleksiak in Dallas. Those are the types of players they'd go after, not just a cheap depth guy.

Archived