The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN - BUF

I think our D has lots of potential, but the missing Right hand D seems to be an ongoing problem. With Bieksa out of the line-up recently, it's exposed this weakness further. With that in mind

Alex Edler for Tyler Myers .... plus perhaps some picks to even it out

Two struggling players as of late. Both with similar contract cap hit and length remaining. BUF gets a power play partner for Ernhoff. VAN solves the right handed D problem and allows more flexibility in D pairings. I consider this mostly a lateral move for both teams.

wow that's a big trade (it would really change the look of both teams) - I think I would be willing to go for it just cause our D really lacks that massive body and Buffalo would probably go for it knowing the past success of Erhoff and Edler. I think its a good propsal (good hockey trade) obviously its doubtful it would happen but still one of the best proposals I have seen this season.

to give up on him after not the best play this year would be a mistake on their parrt, but maybe they are worried about thie length and caphit.

Myers would look great on our team dont get me wrong. Enjoyed watching him play with the kelowna rockets

Honestly, I wonder if we don't lose on that deal as a 1 for 1. Myers is a bigger body, but hits roughly the same as Edler, produces less than Edler offensively and his underlying numbers aren't as strong. Granted, Edler's older and has had more time to develop, but is also $500K cheaper on cap hit going forward.

If there is a little extra from Buffalo, then it does certainly make some sense in balancing our D pairings a bit more, but it's no small thing to lose 10-20 points moving to Myers (he had 48 points in his rookie year and can get close to that again I think, but for now he's a 20-30+ guy). We'd still be able to make that up by adding to our forwards I think, but I wouldn't do it straight up.

The other question is what does this make Buffalo's D pairings look like? Sulzer's been an affordable option paired with Ehrhoff, and does Edler overload their left side options and leave them short on the right side? Regher, Leopold, Sekera and Pardy all are left handed shots along with Sulzer (and Ehrhoff) so taking away Myers would leave them with no right handed D on the roster.

Of their prospects, Pysyk and Gauthier-Leduc are right handed shots and in the AHL now for depth. Alex Biega might be their closest right hand shot to playing reasonable minutes for them, so I wonder if they'd even be willing to move Myers without someone to play that side at his level.

Here's an alternate suggestion.

Edler and Tanev

for

Myers, Girgensons and Pysyk

Our D would look pretty good, and allows shuffling with players on their natural side in case of injury. I am still unsure whether we should be adding a pick, or they should be adding a pick.

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Tyler Myers ($5.500m)

Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Chris Tanev ($0.851m)

Alberts, Barker, Vandermeer, Sauve, Connauton <---- yikes, all lefties!!!

Too risky. Of course, we get younger, but it leaves a hole in our D, and those prospects aren't ready yet. Ha, we might as well send them Ballard as well and call them the Buffalo Canucks!

I have a soft spot for Tanev, because defensively, he is very responsible and dependable for getting the puck safely out of danger. If we really had to do Edler+Tanev as part of a deal, then it had better be for Erik Gudbranson or Dougie Hamilton or similar.

Archived