The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TONY GALLAGHERS ARTICLE

THERETOOL

Both are wrong and have no place in the head of any official in a professional sports league.

"leave your # at the door" so to speak....

Yes they are human, however the only reason they are able to get away with this kind of behaviour is because there is nothing in place which holds them accountable for their actions (or lack of action)

These guys run around like the biggest cocks in the cage... simply because they can.

Burrows owned and is continuing to wear the stigma of a player who embellishes. Considering how he plays, he deserves it. We shouldn't be surprised that he gets the calls or non-calls he does, even if he has changed, it will take years for refs to trust him again. I'm not saying the officials have been good, far from it. But as pointed out they are human, and despite best efforts, do get emotionally involved in games, any ref here can attest to this. The only thing Burrows could do is change his game, but he hasn't and IMO never will because this style of play seems to be part of his personality. Don't expect any mercy from the refs in the future.

Burrows owned and is continuing to wear the stigma of a player who embellishes. Considering how he plays, he deserves it. We shouldn't be surprised that he gets the calls or non-calls he does, even if he has changed, it will take years for refs to trust him again. I'm not saying the officials have been good, far from it. But as pointed out they are human, and despite best efforts, do get emotionally involved in games, any ref here can attest to this. The only thing Burrows could do is change his game, but he hasn't and IMO never will because this style of play seems to be part of his personality. Don't expect any mercy from the refs in the future.

"One is that he told the world that referee Stephane Auger had threatened before a game in December 2010 that he was going to get him for showing him up in a previous game — and then the referee did precisely what he said he would do — gave him a ridiculously undeserved penalty."

Assuming this is all true, I wonder what his reasons would be for the NHL not addressing this.  Certainly refs aren't supposed to be holding grudges?

They could simply sit down internally, come up with some kind of framework which holds the officials responsible for their body of work, and announce it just like they did realignment. No fuss, no fan fare, just a simple announcement stating that they hold the state of NHL officiating in high regard and have taken some steps to ensure that the highest level is met consistently.

Of course he is a marked man. You don't go public and accuse a referee of "threatening to get me and then following through on his threat" and expect to get away with it. The guy is radioactive now and will be for the rest of his career, and some of it rubs off on the rest of the team undoubtedly. Guy is a freakin' idiot, and Gillis isn't much better for allowing him to go public after the game like that, then furthering the damage by "standing by my player", along with AV.

It was an embarrassing, stupid debacle and Burrows, Gillis, AV and the Canucks will live with the result for a long, long time.

They already have just such a framework. The process isn't made public for reasons so obvious that only the most thick headed poster wouldn't understand. Imagine if referee gaffes (and subsequent punishments) were made public by the league...

Of course he is a marked man. You don't go public and accuse a referee of "threatening to get me and then following through on his threat" and expect to get away with it. The guy is radioactive now and will be for the rest of his career, and some of it rubs off on the rest of the team undoubtedly. Guy is a freakin' idiot, and Gillis isn't much better for allowing him to go public after the game like that, then furthering the damage by "standing by my player", along with AV.

It was an embarrassing, stupid debacle and Burrows, Gillis, AV and the Canucks will live with the result for a long, long time.

Why are you even here? Go back to whatever rock you crawled out from under and drool over the sears catalog lingerie page.

This " mans" game like all the others has a set of rules and a team to ensure the rules are enforced. The team in charge of enforcing the rules has not been doing their job.

It is true that a defenseman can absolutely bury burrows in front and the refs won't bat an eye. Other players can get pushed with one hand in the back and the arms fly up. This is likely entirely because Auger finally got fired for being incompetent and many refs likely view Burrows talking to the media as the flag that stood out over Auger's head.

Archived