The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Detroit trading partners

Hi I was just wondering what everyone thought of the possibility of trading with Detroit. Next year they will be out of our conference so this year would be the only year it could come back to bite us. I was thinking of some blockbuster deal involving: Luongo, Edler, and maybe a filler player or mid prospect. Not any of our better prospects. They are a team that has a ton of cap space and are desperately looking for a defenseman. They were already interested in drafting Edler and he has a fairly reasonable contract. Edler would be the key peice in them taking Luongo. I am not that familiar with Detroits young prospects or the majority of there roster so I am curious to what everyone thinks what a possible deal would be. Of course we would have to take back a back-up goalie, but is there anything else that would make this trade worthwhile ?

I did suggest dealing Luongo, Kesler, Ballard, and Tanev for Zetterberg, Howard, and Kronwall. My rationale: for a player of Luongo's calibre, I would expect someone on Zetterberg's level in return.

The way this season is playing out, the Wings won't take this trade, because they can still make the playoffs and with just one or two upgrades, can build on their core to win. I expected they'd miss the playoffs this year without Lidstrom, and would be better served to trade for Luongo to revamp their goaltending (and plus, he could even play even better there with his Olympic coach Babcock). Throw in Michigan born Kesler, and two promising blueliners (Tanev has potential to be the next Lidstrom if given the right training), it would have been a grand trade for them if they needed a change in personality. And I kind of would like to seen Lu and Kesler on that team.

Archived