The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What a beautiful HST free day

Harbinger

Holy forum spam - wetcoaster could you do us mobile users a favor and put your copy paste mega thread behind a spoiler? Also I could copy paste all my previous comments in regards to the HST but the continued playing of the blame game by the BC Liberal supporters is not adding anything productive to the debate.

I will throw the first volley - see if you can follow ....

If the NDP get elected I will voice to them my suggestion of returning with a citizen involvement committee for the re interduction of a form of HST that would be better planned and implimented. Done correctly and openly from the get go it will be a benefit for BC. It must above all be revenue neutral in a provable manner from day 1. Any part of budgeted savings from off setting costs or increased wages must be attached to legislation that permits goverment to enforce it ( example - we will reduce a businuess's taxes by 1 million if they prove 1 million in capital re investiment or increased hiring etc - so that tax cuts for businuess come with strings attached ). Previous exemptions must continue or for purchases over 10K be claimable on provincial income tax ( example on window replacement the PST portion now exempt could be claimed by the home owner... 600 bucks isnt much but allowing it to be claimed by the end user would off set the increase )

Done the above way I could support the HST or any other new combined tax. Instead of playing the blame game - what is your positive suggestions moving forward? And simply voting Liberal isn't a solution - nor would be voting NDP - tell us what you would do or prompt the incoming goverment to do

why borrow that 2 billion in the first place then? FAIL!

It's like me getting a loan for a brand new Lexus

Give that 2 billion dollars back.  It's not our fault they borrowed the 2 billion in the 1st place.

There's actually no evidence of the hst helping Ontario.  A few premiers of a few provinces already said there is no way they will put in the HST. Also the pro HST ads were not convincing enough for me.   No need to be hating, our province wasn't doing that well under the HST anyways.

If the NDP get elected I will voice to them my suggestion of returning with a citizen involvement committee for the re interduction of a form of HST that would be better planned and implimented. Done correctly and openly from the get go it will be a benefit for BC.

You show a remarkable lack of understanding.

The 1.6 billion was not a loan. It was transitional monies given to BC by the federal government to offset the cost of implementing the HST. FYI, these costs were the reason that the Campbell government original said "no thanks" to the HST. It was only after Ontario negotiated funding for it's HST implementation, that BC was offered the same deal.

Realizing that the HST was a more efficient system of taxation and that the federal government was going to help pay for bringing it in, the BC governement revisited the HST, and rightly so.

Finally, we are far worse off than we were, because those monies have to be repaid and there will be additional costs associated with reinstating the old PST/GST system.

The cost to the taxpayers of BC is estimated at 3 billion dollars. You exhibit an extremely cavalier attitude towards something that will go down in history as one of the more collossal instances of stupidity in provincial history.

Archived