The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC General Election May 14, 2013 - Advance Voting Wed May 8 to Sat May 11 - See Post #433

Wetcoaster

Election issue: agriculture policies

Relief from carbon tax on farms and promotion of B.C.-grown agricultural products are key promises in the campaign for the May 14 provincial election.

The B.C. Liberal Party and the B.C. NDP have argued for a decade about the best way to promote local food consumption. The NDP platform promises to reinstate the "Buy B.C." program that identifies products grown anywhere in the province.

The B.C. Liberal government ended that program, and in 2012 it committed $2 million to regional "Buy Local" promotions that they say are more adaptable to local needs. The party's current platform promises to double that funding to "promote 50- and 100-mile diets."

Neither party is specific about assistance for tree fruit growers. The NDP pledges to "help orchardists with replanting and other costs," while the B.C. Liberals offer to "begin work on a permanent and sustainable tree fruit replant program, to be implemented following the current three-year, $2 million program."

In its pre-election budget, the B.C. Liberal government has offered $20 million in carbon tax relief for greenhouse and flower growers, in addition to an exemption for coloured gasoline and diesel used on farms.

The B.C. Green Party proposes major reforms, including phasing out synthetic chemical pesticides, banning genetically modified crops such as canola and removing taxes on value-added B.C. products such as juices and wines.

Platform highlights:

•
promise a new meat inspection system by 2014, including a new "Certified B.C. Beef" brand. The party also wants to create a "Centre of Excellence for Agriculture" at the University of the Fraser Valley.

•
promises $8 million per year starting in 2014 for agriculture programs. Plans include pilot programs to use B.C. produce in hospitals and long-term care facilities.

•
platform promises only to "introduce policies that support, farmers, ranchers and others." The party emphasizes its pledge to phase out the carbon tax on all fossil fuels, citing its role in poor financial performance by B.C. agriculture relative to the rest of the country.

•
would prohibit further release of top-rated land from the Agricultural Land Reserve, and "provide small grants to support municipalities and school boards that wish to maintain and expand community gardens and urban agriculture."

http://www.bclocalnews.com/news/205307271.html' rel="external nofollow">

The B.C. Green Party proposes major reforms, including phasing out synthetic chemical pesticides, banning genetically modified crops such as canola and removing taxes on value-added B.C. products such as juices and wines.

Honestly the major thing that has kept me from voting Green in the past is that they've got some wonky (new..?) economics ideas. Now being a distant third (maybe fourth) party they can have the odd "interesting" platform idea here or there as the likelihood of them actually being in power to implement them is slim to none with slim having gone for a long walk. (Also why I feel safe voting for them...they give us some good environmental/agricultural/drug policy etc representation without the actual power to cause any real economic damage.)

Having said that, with both the two main parties doing fiscal gymnastics or frankly just as stupid (if not worse) fiscal management in reality...I'm starting to wonder if the Green's wonky ideas would even end up being more damaging? If our choices are going to screw us economically anyway, why not at least do something positive for the environment in the process? :lol:

And who knows, perhaps, despite the odds.... maybe the Green's wonky ideas actually turn out to work... :shock:

Still, a LOT of votes before we have to worry about that happening anyway.

How about helping the farmers with energy rebates?

I have a "hobby farm" and have way through the Hydro cycle I'm already at the higher rate...I have farm lights on a night, extra fridges for storing eggs, etc....and heat lamps for baby chicks on 24x7.

I hope that the Liberals really clean house after this election. Bring in some fresh blood, fresh ideas, or else its going to be at least eight years of NDP rule.

My riding is Vancouver-Point Grey and I will probably be voting Green as a bit of a protest vote. Christy Clark's no show to the riding debates lost my vote. Although it was interesting to see Andrew Wilkinson, former president of the BCCLA go up against David Eby, former executive director of the BCCLA.

I hope that the Liberals really clean house after this election. Bring in some fresh blood, fresh ideas, or else its going to be at least eight years of NDP rule.

My riding is Vancouver-Point Grey and I will probably be voting Green as a bit of a protest vote. Christy Clark's no show to the riding debates lost my vote. Although it was interesting to see Andrew Wilkinson, former president of the BCCLA go up against David Eby, former executive director of the BCCLA.

Polls show she apparently did win the debate. Too little, too late.

Beyond the BCCons dismal showing, Dix and the NDP have failed the most during this campaign. People don't like Dix, but they want the Libs out. Instead of sweeping the Liberals into oblivion, they've let them linger around. And people still don't know what to make of Dix, other than he's not quite trustworthy. This will be a one-term run for the NDP.

Beyond the BCCons dismal showing, Dix and the NDP have failed the most during this campaign. People don't like Dix, but they want the Libs out. Instead of sweeping the Liberals into oblivion, they've let them linger around. And people still don't know what to make of Dix, other than he's not quite trustworthy. This will be a one-term run for the NDP.

Wrong. Ipsos Reid conducted an online poll immediately following the April 29th televised leaders’ debate.

Christy did not win the debate.

Debate Winner

Adrian Dix (35%) was selected most often as the leader who won the debate. Christy Clark (30%) was a close second, while both Jane Sterk (10%) and John Cummins (3%) were well back. Twenty-two percent were undecided.

Debate Loser

John Cummins (36%) was selected most often as the leader who lost the debate. Cummins was well ahead of second place Christy Clark (27%), who was then followed by Adrian Dix (16%) and Jane Sterk (11%). Ten percent were undecided.

The entire poll is here http://www.ipsos-na....se.aspx?id=6095

Archived