The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

U.S. Gun Control Bill on Background Checks Defeated in the Senate

Wetcoaster

As for the topic, I don't think anything will change until one of the kids of these NRA guys gets mowed down. It's similar to the gay marriage issue. Until people had it impact them directly, they didn't think it was an issue. Once it is in your face, it makes you think twice about it.

What frame of reference do you have to be commenting on the US Constitution to begin with...and what part of "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." is so difficult to understand? This is not a personal right to bear arms, as far as I see it...but a COLLECTIVE right to bear arms..in case of invasion, at least according to the time period in which the Constitution was written. Now..I'm not going to say it doesn't need rewording or some sort of clarification..but the Constitution is as I said not the issue here..the issue here is the interpretation that too many freaking live by...and apparently that's their own private interpretation of it...instead of what it ACTUALLY says. Now..I'm excusing myself from this hornet's nest and I'm not engaging you any further on this. If you wish to take that as a "victory"...knock yourself out. I've got better things to do.

My frame of reference is that I am ACTUALLY a United States citizen who pays his god damned taxes and participates in voting. And since I am in fact a US citizen whose life is ACTUALLY affected directly by this and by the Constitution, I'd say my frame of reference is a hell of a lot more relevant than yours is. We don't jump in with OUR two cents when there's an issue with your Constitution...YOUR politics...why don't you do us the same courtesy and stop presuming that just because you have a familairity with our Constitution it gives you any cause to assume that your opinion is worth more on the matter than someone who actually LIVES here. Your opinion means jack in the long run, because you don't have to abide by our Constitution. However...you love to hear yourself talk, so I highly doubt that fact really means anything to you anyway.

My frame of reference is that I am ACTUALLY a United States citizen who pays his god damned taxes and participates in voting. And since I am in fact a US citizen whose life is ACTUALLY affected directly by this and by the Constitution, I'd say my frame of reference is a hell of a lot more relevant than yours is. We don't jump in with OUR two cents when there's an issue with your Constitution...YOUR politics...why don't you do us the same courtesy and stop presuming that just because you have a familairity with our Constitution it gives you any cause to assume that your opinion is worth more on the matter than someone who actually LIVES here. Your opinion means jack in the long run, because you don't have to abide by our Constitution. However...you love to hear yourself talk, so I highly doubt that fact really means anything to you anyway.

This thinking always make me curious. Why is it that Americans have such a strong reaction to others discussing it's country's politics anyway?

I fail to see how America's disinterest any anything other than itself is any reason for other countries to not have interest in or discussion of American politics. If Americans want to offer their $0.02 on other countries politics they'd more often than not likely find a welcome willingness to debate. My experience is that few of them care to show an interest.

This thinking always make me curious. Why is it that Americans have such a strong reaction to others discussing it's country's politics anyway?

I fail to see how America's disinterest any anything other than itself is any reason for other countries to not have interest in or discussion of American politics. If Americans want to offer their $0.02 on other countries politics they'd more often than not likely find a welcome willingness to debate. My experience is that few of them care to show an interest.

Unfortunately your frame of reference does not appear to take into account what your Supreme Court of the United States has decreed as to the interpretation of your Constitution. In other words you are ignorant and uninformed on a subject on which you claim to be instructing me.

It is not my opinion - it is the law of your land as propounded by SCOTUS.

BTW I am not talking, I am writing.

I don't object so much to the discussion of American politics as much as I do some big mouth Canadian lawyer telling me that even as a citizen of the US my opinion on the state of American politics means less than his does.I pay my taxes, I vote (Green mostly) and I abide by the Constitution of the United States...and because it affects me and my family directly as US citizens my opinion most CERTAINLY matters more than what some outsider has to say about it. He's been condescending for a good part of this discussion and I'm frankly fed up with the "holier than thou" attitude people in other countries have towards the US. That's what I object to. And hey...if you guys object to our objections of you discussing our politics...maybe you ought to just mind your own business until it actually affects you directly.

Archived