The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

Well if you're gym has multiple squat racks and isn't very busy it would probably be fine, or didn't have any spare bars. But come on, if you can curl a plate aside, dead lifting the bar off the floor can't be that hard.

I have gym etiquette so I don't do that if it's busy, which is almost never since I work out at night :lol:

Work smarter, not harder. It's only 135lbs but I'd rather not have to lift it off the floor each set

Thank you for the impute. I have made some changes in my diet. I could probably tweak some more like I need to stop eating white rice. Unfortunately a lot of our meals in my house hold are serve with white rice so that is definitely one thing I will be cutting out. I have already cut out Soft drinks (that one was tough) and ice cream and chocolate. stuff like that. I usually eat three times a day. I heard its better to have 5 smaller meals is that true? I have also heard that drinking water as soon as you wake up helps. and drinking water half an hour before meals. Do you have any other little tricks? I mean I have tried a lot of different exercises and diets but none seem to work. My job is also one where I am moving non stop which is good. I really appreciate the advice like I said I just want to get healthy so that I can be with the one I love for as long as I possibly can.

I have cut out more unhealthy foods than I put. Just put the obvious ones that people cut first. I have also stop drinking beer and other alcoholic beverages.

I'm not a fan of making diets overly restrictive. It just makes it harder to follow them.

Cutting out sugared drinks is a good place to start. They're just pure calories that offer no other nutrition.

Things like eating x amount of times a day, not eating white rice, etc... are all meaningless. The bigges factor is total calories. There's no magic or trick to it. If you want to lose weight, you have to consume less calories than you burn. A pound of fat has about 3,600 calories. You can make small differences by eating small meals more often, or raising your metabolism, but if you're truly "fat", you just have to eat less. The impacts from the other "tricks" are going to be relatively small. If inability to control appetite is the issue, you just have to get used to eating less. You're body will eventually adapt and the cravings will get less.

What do you guys do when traveling? I'm going on a eurotrip and would still prefer to eat clean/train while trying space cakes, magic truffles, and boozing. I've stocked up on some quest and vega one protein bars. Booked hostels which have pools and gyms. Any other tips and tricks while on the go?

What do you guys do when traveling? I'm going on a eurotrip and would still prefer to eat clean/train while trying space cakes, magic truffles, and boozing. I've stocked up on some quest and vega one protein bars. Booked hostels which have pools and gyms. Any other tips and tricks while on the go?

Lots of different kinds of pushups.

If you've been going hard in the gym the last couple months, a week off doesn't hurt. Keeps you fresh and gives your body some extra recovery time.

Check dietary values on all you eat. Eggs, toast, chocolate milk are all good for breakfast to get you started. Like I said, brown rice is a godsend. And of course, you gotta eat meat to gain meat. Don't overdo it on protein supplements, but it's pretty much necessary to take some for so many reasons. You do really have to force yourself to eat, but training hard and breaking up the meals into smaller portions spread out over the day (if you can) helps the appetite.

I think you'll find that once you're into it, it's less of a commitment than it is a hobby. Working out is one of my favourite parts of a day.

It helps when you notice gains and improvement. :) The main thing is I am not going to do this for the short term. I'm trying to form good eating habits which continue to evolve and build a foundation.

First thing gotta start packing that weight on and fill out my frame.

1500!? Come on! Thats less than someone who's cutting:P

Start using a calorie counter app, myfitnesspal is my recommendation, keeping track is a must because you will have no idea if your over or under unless you count! You may think you have enough but will realize your way off.

As far as jumping from 1500 to 3000? Nope it'll take you a few days or a week or so to adjust.

I'd endorse milk if I could! Quick calories and PROTEIN! I'm up to 7-10 glasses a day usually. You gotta ease into it, but after a week, all that milk will feel like nothing. Spread it out, one glass every so often, every meal must include milk!

8 cups = 1040 calories, 72g of protein.

Of course you may have alternative ways of getting your calories besides milk but its one of my favourites, I assure you you'll start loving the taste.

And as far as your cousin, anything work for him?

Wow 7-10 glasses of milk is a ton if that is regular whole milk 3% I think? That is pretty high in Saturated and Trans fat too. How do you not feel bloated?

I used to drink 3 glasses of milk a day then I stopped thinking I didn't really need it anymore for some reason along with my terrible diet and sleeping habits.. :picard:

Now I'm back to drinking 3 or 4 glasses a day. I like drinking the Chocolate Milk 2 Go ones when I can get them. They have added vitamins A and D plus it's like 260 calories per bottle almost double regular milk and has like 12 g of protein per bottle or something.

I usually drink it after exercising. On the whole stretch marks thing Vitamin E usually helps. Maybe a Vitamin E cream and start eating more foods with Vitamin E like seeds,almonds,nuts etc.

Best bet is probably get a cream that is enriched in Vitamin E and try applying that if you don't already. I know women use it after their pregnancy to try to fade the stretch marks. You could always ask a doctor for a refferal to see a dermatologist if it is severe.

For supplements my main question is can you get enough protein without them?

Which are the best ones to go with that are the easiest to digest and don't have side effects? I know my cousin and many people seem to like the Whey Protein powder because I hear it is natural.

Anybody tried Creatine?

<p>

I dont' like the idea of "cutting out" foods. Are some foods better than others, certainly, but becoming super restrictive about what foods you eat and elimiating certain foods you enjoy entirely can lead to eating disorders and or binging on said "bad foods." Personally, I apply the IIFYM (if it fits your macros) approach to eating. If I crave something, I eat it so long as it fits in my macronutrient intake for the day. I would recommend getting myfitness app so you can track food and macro intake.

Learn the barbell lifts (squat, bench, deadlift, press) and train them 3x per week. Do HIIT cardio (5-7 sprints of 20-30 seconds with 100-120 seconds active rest between sprints) 1-2x per week. THAT is what you should be doing. This link describes the lifting and what to do: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program#Three_Flavors_of_Starting_Strength

Also what I've been told as another way to approach it. We did it a few times just for the heck of it 100m x 6-8 times, minute break.

Which are the best ones to go with that are the easiest to digest and don't have side effects? I know my cousin and many people seem to like the Whey Protein powder because I hear it is natural.

Anybody tried Creatine?

Yeah, you can, but do the math. Depending on how much you need -- that's a lot of food. I was doing almost 280g for the past couple months, 6-7 meals.. 40 grams each. At least with two scoops of whey, one in the morning and after workout totals about 60g. That's the equivalent of two cups of egg whites. Plus whey comes with other stuff that the egg whites don't. Whey is very efficient.. saves you a lot of time making and consuming.

Anybody tried Creatine?

yes, you can get all your protein from foods. How you get your protein does not matter, just get enough. Whey protein is considered the best because it is fast acting protein but it's not needed. I dint think protein powder has side effects.

Creatine is good to maximize ATP but it will add water weight.

yes, you can get all your protein from foods. How you get your protein does not matter, just get enough. Whey protein is considered the best because it is fast acting protein but it's not needed. I dint think protein powder has side effects.

Creatine is good to maximize ATP but it will add water weight.

What exactly would be considered enough for my 170 pounds? Should I focus more on protein carbs and fat as the majority of my diet and the rest be like only 10%.

Yeah I am a little hesitant to use supplements yet because I hear that you can get digestive problems and Creatine can be hard on the kidneys and liver.

Are their any other natural supplements that are effective next to WHEY?

What exactly would be considered enough for my 170 pounds? Should I focus more on protein carbs and fat as the majority of my diet and the rest be like only 10%.

Yeah I am a little hesitant to use supplements yet because I hear that you can get digestive problems and Creatine can be hard on the kidneys and liver.

Are their any other natural supplements that are effective next to WHEY?

try getting 1g if protein for every pound of bodyweight, this is more than enough to build muscle. Just focus on hitting your calorie and protein needs.

I suggest you do some research on these problems woth protein and creatine and you'll soon realize that there really isnt much to worry about.

Whey is just a type of protein and it is high quality. There are other types of proteins you can get (casein, egg, soy, ect...) but whey is the best.

You really only need 1) a protein source and 2) creatine and it's not really needed but most people do take it.

Oh and, hit your caloric needs EVERYDAY

try getting 1g if protein for every pound of bodyweight, this is more than enough to build muscle. Just focus on hitting your calorie and protein needs.

I suggest you do some research on these problems woth protein and creatine and you'll soon realize that there really isnt much to worry about.

Whey is just a type of protein and it is high quality. There are other types of proteins you can get (casein, egg, soy, ect...) but whey is the best.

You really only need 1) a protein source and 2) creatine and it's not really needed but most people do take it.

Oh and, hit your caloric needs EVERYDAY

Ok so 3000 calories it is. Gonna be eating a lot of carbs, eggs, salmon and also drinking 4 glasses of whole milk a day!!!

Wow 7-10 glasses of milk is a ton if that is regular whole milk 3% I think? That is pretty high in Saturated and Trans fat too. How do you not feel bloated?

I used to drink 3 glasses of milk a day then I stopped thinking I didn't really need it anymore for some reason along with my terrible diet and sleeping habits.. :picard:

Now I'm back to drinking 3 or 4 glasses a day. I like drinking the Chocolate Milk 2 Go ones when I can get them. They have added vitamins A and D plus it's like 260 calories per bottle almost double regular milk and has like 12 g of protein per bottle or something.

I usually drink it after exercising. On the whole stretch marks thing Vitamin E usually helps. Maybe a Vitamin E cream and start eating more foods with Vitamin E like seeds,almonds,nuts etc.

Best bet is probably get a cream that is enriched in Vitamin E and try applying that if you don't already. I know women use it after their pregnancy to try to fade the stretch marks. You could always ask a doctor for a refferal to see a dermatologist if it is severe.

2% milk. As far as feeling blosted, the first couple of times I drank 3 or 4 glasses I did feel bloated, but you slowly get used to it and add on another glass each day.

Milk 2 Go is just loaded with sugars, you can sometimes feel and taste the undisolved sugar in your mouth!

resistance band

Anybody tried Creatine?

Creatine is not taken for the same reason you take Whey Protein.

Whey Protein is meant to be used as the building blocks of muscle. So basically repair, recovery, and maintenance.

Creatine increases ATP levels in your muscle cells, giving each muscle cell more energy. I've tried Creatine once, and yes it does work. You can lift heavier and for more reps. You also retain more water, so you look bigger. The problem is that you can only use it for relatively short cylces (or your body simply adapts). Once you come off it, you lose a lot of the gains you made before. It can also be damaging to your kidneys/liver if over used.