The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

Going to stop this cutting thing at the end of the month. It will have been 10 weeks by then. Currently down 15lbs. Strength has remained fairly consistent. I noticed a bit of a drop in bench presses and leg exercises but those always return to norm and eventually improve. It's just a matter of when, not if. Anyway, I don't think I'm going to reach the results I expected despite following this plan almost to a T. Maybe it's just a genetics thing.

God dammit. If you guy haven't heard Scooby1961 from youtube is no longer making videos anymore. Some lowlife pricks on 4chan got his personal information and harassed him to the point where he is shutting down his channel. This guy was the OG of the Youtube Fitness Community.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gitCgebZUA

Yup, that sounds like 4chan.

I would have definitely liked for them to do it to a different channel though.

All of them claim to be alpha yet they attack one to feel like one lol.

Any suggestions for calf strength/endurance? I can't really make it out to a gym and I don't have much equipment at home (nothing designed for legs).

Feel free to mention anything (hopefully serious though :P )

you could still do calf raises at home, i started out working out at home so what i used to do is stand on the edge of a step on my stairs and raise up and go down. Do this while holding dumbells for strength.

A quick search on youtube and i found a video to show you how it looks

Edited by canucks#01fan
  • Upvote 1

Oh baby its christmas in july! Gym added a bench press and squat rack and took out some cardio machines that no one ever uses (the ones that simulate a skating motion, ya...)

My gym desperately needs a new squat rack, there's only one and half the time it's taken up by people doing curls or anything but actual squats.

45 gym sessions and counting this summer:) been making alllll kiiinndsss of gainsss (Hodgetwins reference)

Gettin dem striiiiiiiiiations

What you guys think about the idea that you don't go full range of motion to maximize hypertrophy? The idea is that you keep constant stress on whichever area you're working on by doing it, like if you're benching you don't bring the bar close to the chest and you don't lock out at the top.

Edited by Captain Aerosex

Just a question for any of you guys. Do any of you guys have a six pack? If so how long did it take you to get it and what are the best exercises?

I have around a 12% body fat percentage wondering if that is good enough to start exercising to see some abs.. if not my other goal is to just bulk up and put on size. I realize I can't do both at the same time.

Do you guys think gaining 5 pounds of just mass is realistic in a month if I eat like 3000 calories a day and exercise?

The reason I say that is because I'm about 6 foot 1 but I weigh only 170 pounds. So I am underweight.

Just a question for any of you guys. Do any of you guys have a six pack? If so how long did it take you to get it and what are the best exercises?

I have around a 12% body fat percentage wondering if that is good enough to start exercising to see some abs.. if not my other goal is to just bulk up and put on size. I realize I can't do both at the same time.

Do you guys think gaining 5 pounds of just mass is realistic in a month if I eat like 3000 calories a day and exercise?

The reason I say that is because I'm about 6 foot 1 but I weigh only 170 pounds. So I am underweight.

i have a six pack about 2 months of the year. I mean i can see my abs all year round but i get cut up and really defined for about two months before i bulk up again. Best exercises? I cannot stress enough that six packs are made in the kitchen, if youre at 12% BF% then you should see your abs. If you dont it may because of lack of muscle mass. Weighted crunches are great and rotations for obliques.

I cant see how you look so you gotta decide for yourself if you should bulk up or cut, if you look skinny-ripped then bulk up for sure. If your skinny-fat then i would cut till im the former and do a SLOW bulk. Judging by your size and weight, id say bulk.

Eat 3000 cals can definatly get you 5 pounds a months but it really depends on you. Some people may need 4000 while others may need 2700 to gain 5 pounds a month. Just eat about 500 calories above what you are eating now everyday.

Doesn't matter what your work-out is, so long as you are exercising. Just eat less calories than you expend. You'll eventually shed fat and your six pack will come out. Or, if you're fairly new to lifting, if you bulk clean enough (ie not junk food and crap) than you'll be hitting your abs enough with stuff like deadlifts and squats and you won't be putting on much fat.

5 pounds of pure muscle mass in a month? Nope. 5 pounds of mass of any kind sure is possible, but lean muscle nope. Lean muscle gains take time, your body can only metabolize protein so fast, you just gotta stick with it. You ain't going to see stunning results in a month, but you will see a little progress. And then another month of more progress, then another month, etc. then all of a sudden you're like "hot damn I was looking like X and doing Y and now I look like this"...it's a great feeling.

BTW I would eat more calories if you're 170 pounds. I'm slightly taller and was slightly leaner than you when I started, and I ate a little closer to 4000 than 3000 calories a day. Almost 2/3 of that should be carbs. The rest of the essentials is protein (obviously get your fats, fruits, veggies too but your going to want to be taking in large quantities of carbs, protein, and wate). Brown rice is your best friend :)

P.S. Honestly, if you're just starting out, don't get worried about getting lean as fuark first and then bulking clean so you always look cut. The best thing to do is just focus on getting bigger and stronger first. Learn about lifting, how your body works. Then once you're stronger, it'll be easier to do the exercises to cut fat when you want to get lean. But in my opinion, you should be focussed on going hard in the gym and in the kitchen trying to get more muscle.

Edited by Captain Aerosex