The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

Hey all!

What would you guys recommend for someone trying to lose about 20-30 pounds while toning up the major muscles a bit?

Obviously cardio is really important in this, but I'm interested in how to mix it in with some weight training to achieve that goal (such as I assume nothing too intense on the weights, etc.). The extent of my workouts at this time are not much more than walking the dog most days of the week and playing golf a few times a month.

Any advice or personal experience would be great!

I'd recommend just keeping it simple. For starters get your diet in check..healthy fats, lots of protein and minimizing carb intake. As for your workouts make sure to include compound exercises and if you can handle it superset/decrease rest between sets (for cardio). I never do cardio at the gym.. I usually just get it from boxing and the odd beer league game if my friend needs me to sub in on a day off.

If you are going to do cardio..you'll probably see the best results for hiit training/dieting. Their are a billion workouts out on the web. Personally I slowly eased back in with fully body workouts before switching to isolated to reduce soreness and increase recovery. It's different with everyone so I'd recommend trying a few things and finding something that works for you.

Just make sure you don't overtrain as you might get all excited and pumped being back in the gym. Take your rest days, get your sleep and meals. Nothing wrong with a cheat meal once a week (just don't over do it).

I'd recommend just keeping it simple. For starters get your diet in check..healthy fats, lots of protein and minimizing carb intake. As for your workouts make sure to include compound exercises and if you can handle it superset/decrease rest between sets (for cardio). I never do cardio at the gym.. I usually just get it from boxing and the odd beer league game if my friend needs me to sub in on a day off.

If you are going to do cardio..you'll probably see the best results for hiit training/dieting. Their are a billion workouts out on the web. Personally I slowly eased back in with fully body workouts before switching to isolated to reduce soreness and increase recovery. It's different with everyone so I'd recommend trying a few things and finding something that works for you.

Just make sure you don't overtrain as you might get all excited and pumped being back in the gym. Take your rest days, get your sleep and meals. Nothing wrong with a cheat meal once a week (just don't over do it).

Great advice...thanks!

Hey all!

What would you guys recommend for someone trying to lose about 20-30 pounds while toning up the major muscles a bit?

Obviously cardio is really important in this, but I'm interested in how to mix it in with some weight training to achieve that goal (such as I assume nothing too intense on the weights, etc.). The extent of my workouts at this time are not much more than walking the dog most days of the week and playing golf a few times a month.

P90x3 bro. Gauranteed. You will love.

There are 3 versions you can do, classic, toned and "mass" version.

From the sounds of it, you want to be cut, (looking fit) and at the same time actually be fit, with stamina endurance, P90x3 is the way to go. 30 minutes a day no more no less, at most it will go up to 33 minutes if you don't rest.

This is no joke, I p90x 4 years ago now, and during that time, I felt my fittest. I've started p90x as of January 1, and I feel great. Nuff said. It's perfect. I will not look massive, but I will be fit as hell.

Hey all!

I went from 230 pounds 18% body fat to 190 12% by just lifting weights and eating better.

I've noticed cardio is overrated. The more you lift the faster your metabolism will get because you're gaining muscle.

Edit: obviously I'm not saying don't do cardio, do what you like to do.

The diet thing is always the hardest for me. I can never lay off the fattening drinks. I drink too many Tim Horton's iced capps and McDonald's Vanilla Chai Tea Frappes.

you don't have to cut them out, just slow down on them.

Sugar is extremely addicting, but most everyone knows that already.

Just slow down gradually, order smaller sizes.

Edited by Kent.S
  • Upvote 1

i would do a 5x5 full body routine. Bablylovers starting strength (i recommend) or just regular starting stregnth by ripptoe are proven routines. Google them.

Looked into it and I'll try that.

Honestly, the first couple of times just go do whatever you can, dont overwork yourself right off the bat and slowly ease yourself back into it before you start a routine. Or else I bet you'll be SUPER sore for a week right off the bat.

Yeah, I just came back from my community centre that's just a 5 min walk away and got my fitness centre pass. Intending on going in first thing tomorrow morning when they open. I was planning on just benching and squatting and doing everything that I remember with easy weights (but not too easy that it's a breeze). Just for an hour before I go home shower and head to school. I'm definitely gonna ease my way back in for sure.

Do you really want to kill the guy right off the bat? Hahaha. Even taking it easy will get him super sore. So if he does bi and tri one day hard right off the bat, he may struggle or feel the need to take a day off the next day for say chest day. Once he goes through his whole cycle, he'll be out a week or so haha.

So I just think maybe easing in would be good, may be able to hit each muscle twice that way. But hey he's been in the gym before I guess he can decide, not that one of our suggestions is better than the other, just preference of the individual I guess. (Hell he may have a job that requires hard labour).

Yeah I decided that I'll ease my way back in. Not gonna kill myself off the bat.. I think what I'm gonna do when I end is bench half of what I feel is "heavy" and do as much reps as I can and when I can't do it anymore, lower it by a bit and repeat and keep going until I reach just the bar. It's super tiring but that's the one thing I remember doing to end my workouts.

I love feeling a little tightness/sore however theres a huge difference between working out the first time and being crippled by soreness and the average soreness you get from working out.

But doesn't even look like the guy came back to read our advice so whatever haha.

I came back and checked but I never responded until now haha

I'm planning on going in tomorrow morning so hopefully it all works out for me. Any suggestions on what to eat? I heard chocolate milk after a workout somehow is great after a workout. I like eating unsalted almonds.. Anything else? I don't live on my own so I can't really control what I eat at home.

P90x3 bro. Gauranteed. You will love.

There are 3 versions you can do, classic, toned and "mass" version.

From the sounds of it, you want to be cut, (looking fit) and at the same time actually be fit, with stamina endurance, P90x3 is the way to go. 30 minutes a day no more no less, at most it will go up to 33 minutes if you don't rest.

This is no joke, I p90x 4 years ago now, and during that time, I felt my fittest. I've started p90x as of January 1, and I feel great. Nuff said. It's perfect. I will not look massive, but I will be fit as hell.

What would make P90X3 better than the regular P90X?

Hey all!

I'm going to second what Kent S. said.:

I went from 230 pounds 18% body fat to 190 12% by just lifting weights and eating better.

I've noticed cardio is overrated. The more you lift the faster your metabolism will get because you're gaining muscle.

Edit: obviously I'm not saying don't do cardio, do what you like to do.

you don't have to cut them out, just slow down on them.

Sugar is extremely addicting, but most everyone knows that already.

Just slow down gradually, order smaller sizes.

Here's my addition. Find your current calorie intake, purchase a food scale, download myfitnesspal. Until you measure and track your intake, it's all a SWAG (scientific wild-assed guess). If you want to make progress from a long term perspective, you can't be SWAGing your intake.

Once you find your intake, cut 300-500 calories from your daily intake and the weight will stop dropping.

Just got back from my fitness centre that's just a 5 min walk away and boy it felt good. Having not step foot in an actual gym for 3, nearly 4 years felt great. I didn't know what kind of routine I wanted to today so I just went ham on everything, mostly biceps/triceps. Did a few leg workouts, chest, back, and shoulders and a lot of bicep and tricep curls. Still figuring out what kind of routine I want to do each week and see if I should dedicate a day onto one area of my body or just every time I come in, work on a bit of everything as well as how many reps and sets I should be doing and recording how much weight I can actually lift from the machines and dumbbells

Also I've read that instead of eating 3 big meals a day, it should be concised down to 5 to 6 meals a day... I do like to snack a lot so I'm just wondering what are good options for food to snack on? I love snacking on unsalted almonds

Wait are you cutting or bulking? If cutting beware almonds pack a bunch of calories. If you are bulking well then I'll suggest the king, Milk. Easy calories, slam 5-6 glasses a day, tons of protein. Some people even drink a gallon a day!

Wait are you cutting or bulking? If cutting beware almonds pack a bunch of calories. If you are bulking well then I'll suggest the king, Milk. Easy calories, slam 5-6 glasses a day, tons of protein. Some people even drink a gallon a day!

I wanna cut down on my weight a little bit and go from my current weight of 210 (I think I'm overweight in accordance to my height) to around 190-200 and bulk up as well.

Just got back from my fitness centre that's just a 5 min walk away and boy it felt good. Having not step foot in an actual gym for 3, nearly 4 years felt great. I didn't know what kind of routine I wanted to today so I just went ham on everything, mostly biceps/triceps. Did a few leg workouts, chest, back, and shoulders and a lot of bicep and tricep curls. Still figuring out what kind of routine I want to do each week and see if I should dedicate a day onto one area of my body or just every time I come in, work on a bit of everything as well as how many reps and sets I should be doing and recording how much weight I can actually lift from the machines and dumbbells

I'd suggest to Never do your entire body at once. Dedicate a day on a specific area of the body.

Your body needs time to rest after a workout.

my routine for this month is this (not gonna go into great detail)

Monday- biceps/back

Tuesday- legs/cardio

Wednesday- triceps/core

Thursday- core/cardio

Friday- chest/legs

My Legs grow pretty slow sadly, so I usually have a couple days for legs.

But that's the most you should dedicate to an area.

I wanna cut down on my weight a little bit and go from my current weight of 210 (I think I'm overweight in accordance to my height) to around 190-200 and bulk up as well.

How tall are you?

And there isn't to much scientific evidence to back up that it's better to eat throughout the day yet. (I don't think).

As long as you're macro's are steady to your goal then you'll be fine.

Edited by Kent.S

Well, have gone from 208lbs since Dec 20th to 194lbs. Amazing how much weight you can drop by simply cutting crap out of your diet, eating like a normal person, and swimming 4 days a week.

My "goal" is to get to 170 by June. But really, I could care less if I hit it. Just want to eat healthy so I'll live past 40.

I'd suggest to Never do your entire body at once. Dedicate a day on a specific area of the body.

Your body needs time to rest after a workout.

my routine for this month is this (not gonna go into great detail)

Monday- biceps/back

Tuesday- legs/cardio

Wednesday- triceps/core

Thursday- core/cardio

Friday- chest/legs

My Legs grow pretty slow sadly, so I usually have a couple days for legs.

But that's the most you should dedicate to an area.

How tall are you?

And there isn't to much scientific evidence to back up that it's better to eat throughout the day yet. (I don't think).

As long as you're macro's are steady to your goal then you'll be fine.

Well yesterday it was my first time back in 3 years so I wanted to warm up all of my muscles but I went more focused on arms and biceps/triceps. I'm planning on probably only going to the gym about 3 or 4 times a week due to school and work schedules so I'm still trying to figure out what kind of routine I want to go from here on out.

I'm 6'3, (almost 6'4 I believe)

Also how long do you guys usually go for? I went for about 45 minutes but it felt like a long time but the time certainly went by really quickly.

Edited by Apple Juice

Well yesterday it was my first time back in 3 years so I wanted to warm up all of my muscles but I went more focused on arms and biceps/triceps. I'm planning on probably only going to the gym about 3 or 4 times a week due to school and work schedules so I'm still trying to figure out what kind of routine I want to go from here on out.

I'm 6'3, (almost 6'4 I believe)

I'm 6'3 as well and believe me 210 is not over weight for our height.

I am an even 200 and still look very skinny.

At the end of the day, the number doesn't matter. How you look in the mirror is a good indication if you are a proper weight.

Edited by Rypien37