The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Empty Seats a Reality

sosunnyhere

The sellout streak is a sham. Ownership has been buying up unsold tickets for a long time now.

I buy it, Just look at the "leaked" promo for the playoffs, I bet this isn't the first time this has happened. When you see a couple thousand seeats available the day of the game, and then they suddenly get bought up, there is definitly something going on.

Why hasn't any investigative media reported on this? Most (including ours) would leap at the chance to make us look bad.

Unlike other Canadian NHL cities our sell out streak is fake just like half of our bandwagon fans. I hope the real canuck fans get a chance to go see the games now that the other stay home because we are not winning every game. True fans show support even if we are rebuilding,losing and not making the playoffs.

Awesome. The new coach does not have much to live up to... just avoid being swept in the 1st round...

Making playoffs will be tougher in the new division. (I believe if we extrapolate AV's record this season against teams in the new division, we might not even have made the playoffs so hopefully the new coach gets us in and gets at least 1 win)

I think he has to do better than that.

All season long, you and your fellow AV bashers were going on about how much better the team would be, if they only had a different coach.

Well now they will and if your "theory" is to be proven correct, there will have to be a marked improvement next season. I for one, am looking forward to seeing it.

Unlike other Canadian NHL cities our sell out streak is fake just like half of our bandwagon fans. I hope the real canuck fans get a chance to go see the games now that the other stay home because we are not winning every game. True fans show support even if we are rebuilding,losing and not making the playoffs.

So you believe you represent a Vancouver "true fan?"

The way you posted, I dare say other teams fans would agree.

I think he has to do better than that.

All season long, you and your fellow AV bashers were going on about how much better the team would be, if they only had a different coach.

Well now they will and if your "theory" is to be proven correct, there will have to be a marked improvement next season. I for one, am looking forward to seeing it.

lol maybe you should take the discussion to the pro AV or Anti AV page... you sound like a whiny child trying to derail a discussion about a sell out streak to coaching...

Like you have previously admitted, attendance depends on BOTH ticket prices and performance.

So what are you crying about again?

lol maybe you should take the discussion to the pro AV or Anti AV page... you sound like a whiny child trying to derail a discussion about a sell out streak to coaching...

Like you have previously admitted, attendance depends on BOTH ticket prices and performance.

So what are you crying about again?

Not crying at all. As I said, I'm just looking forward to the much better performance that you promised we'd see with the new coach...

Edit: BTW, the play of the team is certainly an aspect that will affect ticket sales, so I don't see how this is "derailing" the topic. It looks to me as if you're sidestepping the fact that you said a coaching change will make a big difference to the play of the team.

It therefore stands to reason that although high ticket prices might drive some people away, the much better play of the Canucks should bring others to offset that loss...

ok you can post your thoughts in one of the AV or Coaching threads...

as for the sell out streak continuing, I think while ownership will get a scare this year, there's just too many people on the waiting list to scoop up the tickets that wont be renewed.

However, management will prob see a major movement in the waitlist lines and take the queue that fans aren't happy with the value they are getting for the tickets.

ok you can post your thoughts in one of the AV or Coaching threads...

Thanks, but no. I think I'll stay here. The coaching and subsequent play of the team is definitely a factor in whether or not the sellout streak continues, so this is where my comments belong.

Not crying at all. As I said, I'm just looking forward to the much better performance that you promised we'd see with the new coach...

Edit: BTW, the play of the team is certainly an aspect that will affect ticket sales, so I don't see how this is "derailing" the topic. It looks to me as if you're sidestepping the fact that you said a coaching change will make a big difference to the play of the team.

It therefore stands to reason that although high ticket prices might drive some people away, the much better play of the Canucks should bring others to offset that loss...

Lol there's no side stepping at all.

Attendance will depend on supply and demand with the price set at equilibrium.

Now there's a limited amount of supply so what management has done is jacked up the price.

However, as we have seen last season and the playoffs, the demand wasn't quite what the management expected as management set the price too high. As a result, there were games in the regular season that had over 1500 empty seats. (From a direct conversation I had with a media member who said he and the other media guys used to count rows of empty seats and used to estimate number of empty seats) These were still considered a "sellout" because the media guys suspect that the scalpers owned these empty seats and couldn't push the product for the crappier games.

When have you ever heard of the Canucks selling playoff tickets for 50% off?

Yeah, that's right...the demand wasn't there for the price they were charging.

And then you compound that with the fact that they are going to jack up the prices EVEN more next year while the cap goes down?

This is a conversation about economics not some whine fest about your love affair with AV...

Also I'm quite more in tune with whats happening because I was on the wait list for 5 years.

2 years ago, because of my waitlist status., i was able to purchase I think about 8 or 10 games on presale.

I lived in Calgary at the time so I planned to just buy and sell the tickets (some were premium ones like I think Naslund and Linden retirements, etc) I was hoping this would have helped me recoup the costs of my initial deposit plus the yearly 50$ "admin" fee for staying on the list.

Long story short, I pretty much worked my ASS off to sell the tickets at face value. This was TWO years ago, not even last year.

And then I had presale to the playoffs. I got tickets to the Nashville series hoping that I can make some money on playoff games.

Again NOTHING.

luckily (I bet you guys don't know) but ticketmaster has a same day cancel policy. So I bought the tickets in the morning, listed it on craigslist and kijiji, got like 2 inquiries (feelers) and ultimately nothing.

So I cancelled the tickets.

After that and the lockout, I realized if I'm not moving back to Van anytime soon to watch the games, its WAY too much of a risk to have season tickets.

The reason being?

The ticket prices are SO high that Aquaman is pretty much selling the tickets at scalped prices leaving no margin for resellers

Thats why I see a mass exodus of scalpers this offseason because I'm betting a lot of them have made very little money that its prob not worth the headache and the risk.

So yeah this is coming from someone with direct experience. I'm a relatively smart guy who is good with numbers, doing his MBA and CFA.

What have you done?

Whine about AV?

This is a conversation about economics not some whine fest about your love affair with AV...

Disagree. Economics is only one factor in ticket sales. It's silly to think that there aren't others.

And who said anything about AV? (besides you, that is) I'm talking about the new coach and the effect that he might have on ticket sales...

Disagree. Economics is only one factor in ticket sales. It's silly to think that there aren't others.

And who said anything about AV? (besides you, that is) I'm talking about the new coach and the effect that he might have on ticket sales...

I just listed a whole reason on why I think there's going to be some issues next year from my direct experience with ticket sales.

What about you? Just some random thoughts on a whim?

I talked about my direct experience where it was STILL difficult to sell during our first Pres trophy campaign AND a stanley cup run... Pretty sure we were firing on all cylinders back then which in your opinion should have been EASY sales.

Also I said that while the streak may continue next year, it will most likely be digging into the reserve of waitlist people as I suspect lots of people wont renew this off season.

The real issue is a couple years from now when the reserve of waitlist people are going...

But I think ownership will be smart enough to lower prices at that point or be competing for the cup.

What about you? Just some random thoughts on a whim?

Nothing random about it at all...

Go back and read page one. There are plenty of remarks about the team's play being a factor on whether or not people will attend games. That is what I chose to comment on.

You choose to focus on ticket prices, which is fair. I don't see why you chose to comment on my post, if you are arguing something else...

Nothing random about it at all...

Go back and read page one. There are plenty of remarks about the team's play being a factor on whether or not people will attend games. That is what I chose to comment on.

You choose to focus on ticket prices, which is fair. I don't see why you chose to comment on my post, if you are arguing something else...

As you have admitted, ticket price is definitely a factor...

In my opinion, I think its a HUGE factor

I commented on your post because the manner in which you commented overflowed with bitterness about AV's firing and how many of us thought it was time for a new coach and you somehow thought it made sense to take this thread and equate it to how a new coach is the "answer" to ticket sales when its only a piece of the puzzle.

If you don't say stupid things, you won't get spanked. mmkay? ::D

As you have admitted, ticket price is definitely a factor...

In my opinion, I think its a HUGE factor

I commented on your post because the manner in which you commented overflowed with bitterness about AV's firing and how many of us thought it was time for a new coach and you somehow thought it made sense to take this thread and equate it to how a new coach is the "answer" to ticket sales when its only a piece of the puzzle.

If you don't say stupid things, you won't get spanked.  mmkay? ::D

Stupid? Resorting to a personal attack, when you can't form a proper argument?

As I said, look at all of the comments talking about how the on-ice performance was going to affect the gate. Those were the comments I was addressing and yes, I brought up the coaching, because many of you claimed that a new coach would fix what ails the team.

What you fail to realize, is that I have said all along that I would be okay with a new coach, as long as I thought it was an upgrade. That remains to be seen I suppose, but using your logic, it shouldn't matter who it is, because it couldn't be worse.

BTW: Don't worry about the "spanking". It was so weak, I didn't even feel it.

Stupid? Resorting to a personal attack, when you can't form a proper argument?

As I said, look at all of the comments talking about how the on-ice performance was going to affect the gate. Those were the comments I was addressing and yes, I brought up the coaching, because many of you claimed that a new coach would fix what ails the team.

What you fail to realize, is that I have said all along that I would be okay with a new coach, as long as I thought it was an upgrade. That remains to be seen I suppose, but using your logic, it shouldn't matter who it is, because it couldn't be worse.

BTW: Don't worry about the "spanking". It was so weak, I didn't even feel it.

blah blah bah....

you already accepted defeat a couple comments ago.. just accept it and move on

My wife and are half seasons holders. We are going down to an ice pack. If there is special game we want to see, I'll simply go to a ticket broker. Less expensive in the big picture than investing in seasons tickets for a whole bunch of games you don't want to see and can't get others to buy off you.

Archived