The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2013-14

canuck2xtreme

How can anyone not be pumped for the future of our franchise right now?

Jensen, Horvat, Kassian, Shinkaruk, Schroeder, Gaunce up front... this is some DIRTY depth.

Don't know how you can question MG's execution today.

Pumped!

I understand the reaction to the trade, absolutely, but I agree with OTTS. The goaltending situation has been alleviated, we got two great draft picks in the first round, some depth up front and a rocking all around good defense and we have our core.

100% the goalie situation was absurd, and there weren't many options available or they would have been taken. In the end, MG did what he should have done all along which was stand behind his contract with Lu, and stand behind Lu, shipping out Cory for what he could get on the market. With the cap the way it is, we couldn't get a contract on the market that was worth getting because we can't afford to pay it this season, and the ninth overall pick is okay by me in a draft year where that ninth pick would be a top five in any other year.

I have heard some disturbing tales that perhaps Lu is scorched but all i have seen from Lu is no comment to press types and then a tweet #NOtradeclause. The rest is rumour and hearsay until we know better, i imagine we will hear sometime this week.

To clarify, for those that may have seen the Twitter tirade or talked on Trillian yesterday after the Draft.

For me, the problem with the trade is the value we got back. 9th overall is great, but doesn't seem like nearly enough for a goaltender like Cory Schneider. Just entering his prime with fantastic numbers over the last few years, signed for just $4 million a year for 2 more seasons. And all they got was one pick. 9th overall, mind you, and I have no problem with them selecting Bo Horvat. I might have gone Nichushkin to get the hulking winger with elite level potential, but you can't argue with Horvat as he will be a great pick as well, but I digress. My issue is, could they not have added more than one pick? A depth pick? A half decent prospect? If you're going to move Schneider, who IS an NHL quality starting goalie and has the ability to be the guy in goal for a team for the next 10-12 years, do you not need to get more than one draft pick?

Further to that, if they knew a day previous to the draft that they were making this deal as they claim they did, why did they not inform Cory Schneider of it? Why did he have to hear it from James Duthie as the deal was breaking? Why did they not talk to Luongo beforehand and get a feel for his thoughts on the matter? All indications are he was not as happy as you'd like your starting goalie for the next 9 years to be. Shocked, refused any interviews and will have to speak with his agent. Doesn't sound like a guy that's happy to be the guy once again in Vancouver. Cory meanwhile, in his interview, said he hoped he would play his whole career in Vancouver. The Canucks better hope they can win over Luongo to the point where he's happy to be here again, because if your starter doesn't want to be there, it doesn't bode well for the team. I have faith that Luongo will be the goaltender he has been in the past for us and that with him in goal the Canucks can make deep playoff runs and compete for a championship, but I don't like how the Canucks handled this situation.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the Canucks prospect depth got much deeper yesterday and we still have an elite goaltender in Luongo. I've always been a Luongo fan since his Florida days and I hope that the Canucks can mend this fence and everything goes well. But I don't like how the entire thing was handled by Gillis and the Canucks organization. If the Canucks were moving Schneider instead, they could have made that decision last summer and make a move that probably would have brought in more assets and make our team better, and perhaps last season wouldn't have been a complete waste of time. To me it boils down to the return they got for a top young goaltender like Schneider, the fact that they didn't talk to either guy before the deal was announced and how management mishandled the entire situation from start to finish and hurt the team in the process.

As for the draft itself, I love who the Canucks took. I love getting Horvat, he will be an excellent player for us. Can't believe that Shinkaruk fell to the Canucks at 24, so loving that pick as well. Don't know much about Cole Cassells in the 3rd round, but how we managed to land Jordan Subban at 115th is baffling. I'll take it. The Canucks did great on the draft floor yesterday and the future is definitely much brighter today than it was 48 hours ago. No arguing that point at all.

I think everyone agrees we sold Cory extremely cheap, but you have to admit it was a fire sale because frankly, MG had a massive forest fire to put out in the crease and it was intensifying with the heat. Not the best solution imaginable, not by a long shot, but a solution none the less, imo.

I think everyone agrees we sold Cory extremely cheap, but you have to admit it was a fire sale because frankly, MG had a massive forest fire to put out in the crease and it was intensifying with the heat. Not the best solution imaginable, not by a long shot, but a solution none the less, imo.

But the reason it was a fire sale and we sold him so cheap was because Gillis didn't address the situation over a year ago when it first arose. Management has nobody to blame but themselves for the mess they were in and they handled it terribly.

Yeah it was a turdsandwich, no matter what end they took a bite out of, it oozed with yuck. I think if they were thinking of moving Cory last year then yeah they likely could have gotten more back, but do we know they were not shopping corey and simply not getting what they thought they could for him?

for arguments sake, how many teams would have use for Schneids? 9 or 10 right? most teams have their starter and have him for a while, generally speaking. So those specific 9 or 10 teams that 'could' use him maybe 5 or 6 of which may have been interested in cory for their specific futures..so those tire kickers, maybe they knew Gillis, and most likely did know, was in a corner from the moment AV pulled Lu and went with Cory and simply weren't willing to pay the price he was worth, because they knew eventually there would be a fire sale and they stood a 20% chance of getting Cory cheap. He is not the best goalie in the league, and he is not the cheapest goalie in the league and he is not the youngest goalie in the league. He is a legit starter with a lot of skill, but I think in the end the 5 or 6 options on where to move Cory simply held Gillis by the throat until he choked up Cory Schneider.

nothing we can do about it as I believe truly it was lit by AV in a game situation and fanned by ravenous media and fans until it engulfed Canuck Nation. At least now its more or less extinguished.

EDIT: also do we fire MG over it, and taking into account the new CBA changed the situation dramatically. Lu's contract was okay prior to this lockout shortened season and was managable, one way or the other, but with the new CBA moving Lu was harder than smuggling plums.

in the end, I believe that people get better through learning from mistakes. I don't want a CEO who has never made a mistake running my company, i want a CEO who managed to rise up despite his mistakes and shortcomings and who has a wealth of knowledge learned from those very mistakes. I think our favorite teams owner has made a fortune by allowing people to learn from mistakes and incorporating that into corporate knowledge. I am with MG, but I admit that he may very well be on a shortened lead from here out for a few years. He is certainly on the right track with this years draft crop.

So I am doing a roundup of the players from our draft that weren't picked yesterday in the NHL draft and I am not sure what to do with that.but I heard loads of them were from previous drafts, so from our second round i found these guys:

40. (**)Florida (via St. Louis) - Jean-Gabriel Pageau : turned 20 last november, drafted 96th overall by the NHL Sens in 2011

43. (**)Phoenix (via Toronto) - Johan Sundstrom : turned 20 last september, drafted 50th overall in 2011 by nhl NYI's.

51. (**)Phoenix (via Pittsburgh) - Charles Hudon : 19 years old, drafted 122nd in 2012 by NHL's Montreal

60. (**)NY Islanders - Brendan Leipsic : 19 years old, drafted 89th in 2012 by Nashville.

Much more from the third round to follow...

64. New Jersey (via Nashville) - Teddy Blueger 18 years old drafted 52nd in 2012 by Pittsburh

65. New Jersey (via Colorado) - Matt Grzelcyk 19 years old drafted 85th in 2012 by boston

67. Pittsburgh (via Columbus) - Michael Mersch turned 20 last october taken 110th in 2011 by LA

71. Vancouver (via Tampa Bay) - Matej Stransky 19 years old drafted 165th in 2011 by Dallas

73. Tampa Bay (via Toronto) - Chris Tierney 19 and drafted 55th in 2012 by the Sharks

76. NY Islanders (via San Jose) - Brock McGinn 19 and drafted 47th in 2012 by Carolina

78. Toronto (via Phoenix) - Josh Leivo just turned 20 and drafted 86th in 2011 by Toronto

79. St. Louis (via Ottawa) - Curtis Valk undrafted, turned 20 this February

80. Vancouver (via Chicago) - Seth Griffith turned 20 this January drafted 131st in 2012 by Boston

81. NY Islanders (via Pittsburgh) - Dillon Fournier 19yr old drafted 48th overall 2012 by Chicago

82. Vancouver (via Buffalo) - Anthony Camara 19yr old drafted 81st overall by Boston in 2011

83. Vancouver (via Edmonton) - Andrey Pedan 19 and drafted 63rd in 2011 by NYI's

84. Vancouver (via Boston) - Riley Barber 19 and taken 167th in 2012 by washington

85. Vancouver (via Winnipeg) - Jimmy Vesey recently turned 20, 66th overall in 2012 by Nashville

86. Vancouver (via New Jersey) - Chris Calnan 19 drafted 79th in 2012 by Chicago

87. Vancouver - Garret Ross turned 21 a month ago 139th overall 2012 by Chicago

88. Vancouver (via Florida) - Taylor Leier 19 year old 117th in 2012 by Philly

89. Los Angeles - Tyler Graovac turned 20 recently taken 191st in 2011 by Minnesota

whew, okay i found em all except i think Curtis Valk remains undrafted in the NHL.

Initial Offer Phase of Free Agency - July 1, 2013

Free Agency Negotiations Open - July 5, 2013

So starting now teams can submit their offers for unrestricted free agents. No replies will be sent until July 5th when agents have had a chance to go through the offers and organize a bit.

There isn't a huge market for goalies. Schneider is great and all but he has only 1 career playoff wins and hasn't started over 33 games in his career. Sure we could've maybe got a guy like Josefson back too, but really who cares? He's out of the conference so we don't have to worry about him and we've got a guy that's going be be a big time stud for us. We still have Lu in net so really, it's a lateral move in net.

Happy Canada Day everyone!

--

c2x, Mitchell hasn't be added to my capsheet as my #5 dman in Rochester, cheers.

So I am doing a roundup of the players from our draft that weren't picked yesterday in the NHL draft and I am not sure what to do with that.but I heard loads of them were from previous drafts, so from our second round i found these guys:

40. (**)Florida (via St. Louis) - Jean-Gabriel Pageau : turned 20 last november, drafted 96th overall by the NHL Sens in 2011

43. (**)Phoenix (via Toronto) - Johan Sundstrom : turned 20 last september, drafted 50th overall in 2011 by nhl NYI's.

51. (**)Phoenix (via Pittsburgh) - Charles Hudon : 19 years old, drafted 122nd in 2012 by NHL's Montreal

60. (**)NY Islanders - Brendan Leipsic : 19 years old, drafted 89th in 2012 by Nashville.

Based on the reactions during the draft - I am glad I made the trade, and grabbed Hudon at 51. I was going to draft him 59th, but then made the Sheahan trade.

So scrambled to get another pick to get Hudon.

10. (*12*)Montreal (via St. Louis) - Max Domi

42. (*42*)Montreal (via Philadelphia) - Steve Santini

Pretty good day at the draft for the Habs, as Domi slipped 2 spots but Santini went in the exact spot that we picked him in. This, combined with the acquisition of former 1st-rounder Austin Watson, have the Canadiens very excited for next season.

Holy moly! I didn't even notice until today that Anton Slepyshev, who I drafted 49th overall in the 2012 Entry Draft but was passed over in the actual draft, was picked up 88th overall by the Oilers yesterday. That's awesome! :towel:

Archived