The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Briere to Sign with either Nashville, Montreal, or New Jersey

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=nhl&id=25936&src=desktop

Danny Briere could be getting a call today from his new employer.

Is this the day for Danny B?

Sources have told ESPN.com that bought-out UFA Danny Briere cut down his list of suitors to three teams late Wednesday night, which I believe to be New Jersey, Montreal and Nashville.

All three have compelling selling points for the veteran forward. The Canadiens, well, that’s an obvious allure for a French-Canadian such as Briere. If he does sign with the Habs, it would turn those boos at the Bell Centre into cheers after he spurned Montreal’s offer years ago for Philadelphia’s and Habs fans never forgave him.

Nashville is a terrific place to live. I’m stunned more free agents don’t go there. It would be top five on my list of places for a player to ply his trade. Fantastic town, solid organization. And, oh yeah, the Preds desperately need offense.

The Devils also need offense and New Jersey would offer the one thing Montreal and Nashville could not: proximity to Briere’s children, who will remain in Philadelphia.

And so, we shall see. Whichever team gets him acquires a clutch performer, especially come playoff time. And he’s a great teammate.

Archived