The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Start of a rebuild?

Shredder

I mean, the obvious with the Sedins in their last year of their current contract

Gillis signing depth players (cap space, blah blah blah, yeh could be that too.

New coach

Prospects that are expected and wanted to make the roster

I mean, is this NOT the perfect time?

We want a cup and we want it now ! Reality check, we aren't getting one with the Sedins cap hit, we need to get younger . And don't pull the " oh we have hunter or Bo or joschro"

Lets build around

KESLER "C"

KASSIAN

SHINKARUK

HORVAT

GAUNCE

JENSEN

BURROWS "A"

HANSEN "A"

EDIT: DEFENSE ( thx MGK )

Garrison

Tanev

Corrado

Edler

Who knows ? Maybe J.Subban grows a couple inches ? He's still young, and having a phd in kinesiology, this guy has room to grow and with two brother Genes to prove it, he will grow

Speed

Size

Stanley Cup

Gillis isn't going anywhere. Why? Because my guess, rebuild talks had already began.

I mean, yeah he fired AV to "save his job" but I'm pretty sure he STILL would've been fired till after the draft

And those who question the Schneider trade, he'd be 30, 30+ by the time rebuilding finished and challenged for a cup. We have some upcoming star goalies.

Rebuild, for me, is the wrong word. GMMG is in the difficult position whereby he has to refresh the team without rebuilding it. To rebuild would take years of losing - not acceptable.

The team's future looks a lot better now than it did a month ago - but the kids have yet to play meaningful minutes. That may take years.

Only time will tell. Alas, much of CDC can't handle going a week without a "big" deal, let alone a couple of years to see if prospects pan out.

Rebuild, for me, is the wrong word. GMMG is in the difficult position whereby he has to refresh the team without rebuilding it. To rebuild would take years of losing - not acceptable.

The team's future looks a lot better now than it did a month ago - but the kids have yet to play meaningful minutes. That may take years.

Only time will tell. Alas, much of CDC can't handle going a week without a "big" deal, let alone a couple of years to see if prospects pan out.

No it is not the perfect time for rebuild. That would be at the trade deadline of the 2013/2014 season when we have determined we are not in a position to make a run this year (which currently management is convinced to still try). At that point we can move the Sedin's to a contender for pick/prospect, move any others aging vets for the same reason... contemplate who to use our last buy-out on heading into the 2014/2015 season.

It's impossible to move the Sedin's right now because their combined cap hit is too high. At the deadline you might get away with it if you take a high salary back that is expiring in the same year as well. You can add picks/prospects to that to make the blow up make sense for us an the team that is making a run

I don't think the Canucks would ever legitimately consider doing a full "rebuild". The fans wouldn't take it.

Their attendance is already suffering with fans losing interest in the same core and same result the past 2 years.

Gillis has to retool the team and start to integrate young players in the lineup by necessity. Torts likes the young guys and not the big ticket free agents.

I don't think the Canucks would ever legitimately consider doing a full "rebuild". The fans wouldn't take it.

Their attendance is already suffering with fans losing interest in the same core and same result the past 2 years.

Gillis has to retool the team and start to integrate young players in the lineup by necessity. Torts likes the young guys and not the big ticket free agents.

It's the prices and the quality. Will people way ridiculous prices to see the best hockey team in the world (that's what we thought we were in 2010-11)? Where they can say they were a part of the Canucks first cup? Yes.

Will people pay reasonable prices to see a good team, some Sedin-ery and just good hockey, even if a cup isn't imminent? Yes.

Problem is, prices are exorbitant and a cup isn't on the horizon as far as most people are concerned.

As far as a rebuild? Yes and no. Did the Wings ever rebuild? No... They always made the playoffs. Did they ever "retool"? Yes.

I'm not saying Gillis will be successful at it, but I think he will certainly try. Our prospect crop is quite good. Deceptively so. We just have an irrational bias against our own prospects ever doing anything. Prospects are coin flips (albeit heavily weighted coin flips). If you flip a coin 100 times, and get tails every time... People start to think its always tails.

Our prospects have come up tails so often that people think our current prospects won't pan out because of it... No, it's still a coin flip.

In the next couple of years we will have a wealth of young talent to build around.

I'm not saying that Gillis will execute, but a good plan is in place.

It's the prices and the quality. Will people way ridiculous prices to see the best hockey team in the world (that's what we thought we were in 2010-11)? Where they can say they were a part of the Canucks first cup? Yes.

Will people pay reasonable prices to see a good team, some Sedin-ery and just good hockey, even if a cup isn't imminent? Yes.

Problem is, prices are exorbitant and a cup isn't on the horizon as far as most people are concerned.

As far as a rebuild? Yes and no. Did the Wings ever rebuild? No... They always made the playoffs. Did they ever "retool"? Yes.

I'm not saying Gillis will be successful at it, but I think he will certainly try. Our prospect crop is quite good. Deceptively so. We just have an irrational bias against our own prospects ever doing anything. Prospects are coin flips (albeit heavily weighted coin flips). If you flip a coin 100 times, and get tails every time... People start to think its always tails.

Our prospects have come up tails so often that people think our current prospects won't pan out because of it... No, it's still a coin flip.

In the next couple of years we will have a wealth of young talent to build around.

I'm not saying that Gillis will execute, but a good plan is in place.

Then THAT'S WHY it's so expensive.. Cause the games get sold out and people try to sell it after that and they can't sell all of them. It's stupid, if people stopped buying so much tickets to sell, prices would go down. Don't blame management, blame fans.

Archived