The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Expanding on my VAN-DAL trade, + VAN-TOR & 2 UFA signings

- For the record, I do not want to trade Edler, unless of course it makes our team better now and for the future.

- Read each brief explanation for each trade

- At the bottom of the post, I will project each team's starting roster that are involved, including Utica

- All teams fit under the salary cap

- All teams inprove in the areas of the player they acquired I feel

- This complete roster I proposed, gives the younger guys like Jensen, Gaunce and Corrado more development time

To DAL: Alexander Edler, Adam Polasek + VAN 2014 2nd

To VAN: Rich Peverley, Brenden Dillon, Jamie Oleksiak & Cameron Gaunce

Edler + 2nd = Peverley, Oleksiak & Dillon

Polasek = Gaunce

Similar to the Seguin trade, the Stars acquire Alex Edler to solidify their defense for the next 2 years, giving them 5 very NHL caliber players. He will also help their powerplay. The return we get helps our now with much needed size on the backend, and a C/RW for added forward depth. Adding both Oleksiak and Dillon gives competition for the 3rd pairing LHD spot, while the other will get 1st pairing LHD spot in Utica.

Before we trade with Toronto, they need to unload some salary (Liles)

To WSH: J-M. Liles + TOR 2014 2nd

To TOR: Jason Chimera + WSH 2014 5th

Washington only has Carlson and Green for their puck moving defenders and power play guys, adding Liles would help their depth and 2nd PP unit. Now that Toronto has virtually solidified their top-6, adding Chimera would help their middle to bottom-6

THEN

To TOR: David Booth, Peter Andersson, VAN 2014 1st + VAN 3rd

To VAN: Cody Franson (RFA) & Nikolai Kulemin (20% salary retained)

Booth + 1st = Kulemin (80% salary)

Andersson + 3rd = Franson's RFA rights

With Morgan Rielly not being able to play in the AHL, they help their D-depth with acquiring Andersson. Franson wants a raise thats out of the Leafs' price range. Losing Kulemin and Franson at almost ~$6.8 million, and adding Booth and Chimera at ~$6 million, saves them some cap space to re-sign Fraser, O'Byrne and Kadri.

Sign Vinny Prospal / Brad Boyes to 1 year @ $1.5 million.

Sign Mark Fistric to 1 year @ $1 million

DALLAS STARS ROSTER:

Benn Seguin Nichushkin

Cole Eakin Whitney

Roussel Horcoff Chiasson

Ponikarovsky Fiddler Petrell

Garbutt

Edler Robidas

Daley Gonchar

Goligoski Foster

Rome, Benn

Lehtonen & Ellis

WASHINGTON CAPITALS ROSTER

Brouwer Backstrom Ovechkin

Erat Johansson Ward

Laich Perreault Wilson

Gillies Beagle Fehr

Volpatti

Alzner Carlson

Erskine Green

Liles Oleksy

Hillen, Strachan

Neuvirth & Holtby

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS ROSTER

JVR Bozak Kessel

Booth Kadri Lupul

Chimera Bolland Clarkson

McClement Colborne Orr

McLaren

Phaneuf Gunnarsson

Gardiner O'Byrne

Fraser Ranger

Brennan, Holzer

Bernier & Reimer

UTICA COMETS ROSTER

Jensen Santorelli Ferriero

Stuart Hamill Blomstrand

DeFazio Lain Mallet

Pelletier Friesen Anthony

Grenier

Oleksiak/Dillon Corrado

Sauvé Biega

Tommernes Blain

Mullen, McEneny

Eriksson & Cannata

VANCOUVER CANUCKS ROSTER

Sedin Sedin Kassian -------------------------- 22 - 33 - 9

Burrows Kesler Boyes/Prospal ------------ 14 - 17 - 24

Kulemin Schroeder Peverley -------------- 31 - 45 - 13

Higgins Richardson Hansen --------------- 20 - 15 - 36

Sestito, Weise --------------------------------- 29, 32

Hamhuis Bieksa ------------------------------------ 2 - 3

Garrison Franson ---------------------------------- 5 - 4

Dillon/Oleksiak Tanev -------------------------- 6/7 - 8

Fistric, Weber ------------------------------------- 25 - 18

Luongo & Läck ------------------------------------ 1 & 31

Some of the trades are good, for us. I'd do them if I could, but would Edler fetch that much? And Franson deal is good considering he wants too much from them and they can't afford to keep him. With Ranger signing and Rielly coming up from the AHL, it would make sense for both sides. Franson would fit well here as well as we lack RHD.

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Garrison-Franson

Dillon-Tanev

Oleksiak

Weber

Let Oleksiak play a year to develop some more. Dillon would be a nice fit, another BC d-man :P

The following year we'd be able to move Bieksa or another d-man for cap and Oleksiak could take a spot in the top-6.

Our forward depth would easily be one of the best in the NHL.

Solid proposal, +1.

No

I don't mind these trades at all, even if we lose out on Edler. Folks go on and on about 'losing prospects', but if you are sticking to young guns (25 and under) the loss of a prospect isn't such a big deal, as you're likely to be getting someone immediately useful who can play a few years or more. It's only a horrible move to give up prospects for older rental players, like Jagr or Iginla. As long as you make the trade for role players who you know fit a need, or depth and potential for depth and potential, trading prospects is not necessarily a horrible thing if done right.

For instance, Schroeder (unless moved to wing) does not fit as well into the roster as would a solid right handed D-man in my opinion. Moving him for a semi-proven 22yr old right-handed D with upside is not necessarily a loss, just because we developed him, and not the other 22 yr old. Do we need a centerman who can't break the current line-up, or would we be better off with a solid bottom pairing defenseman with potential? That's just an example, not saying to trade Schroeder for anyone in particular. It's a matter of needs, not "keep 'em cuz they're ours".

K.

I always do some research before a proposal. And I am such a depth kind of guy. Not just plug depth, players who can contribute in multiple roles.

I would like to keep most of what we have too, and there is no such thing as "unnecessary depth" in my mind. The only reasons our 1st, 2nd and 3rd are traded is because we obtain young players and players who can contribute for the next 5+ years back.

Thanks!

Edler could bring that much I feel, yes. Dillon and Peverley are depth guys while Oleksiak will most likely be a future stud. They ca always trade one of Goligoski, Robidas or Daley to a team for a middle-6 forward and a bottom-4 defender.

As I said before, I am a depth nut, as long as the depth players are very versatile.

3 LHD and 3 RHD is what I am going for as well in this.

That is a lot to give the Leafs for RFA rights and inconsistent Kulemin, I would hesitate giving them Booth for him let alone adding in a first, maybe Booth and a 3rd but even then I think it's too much. All the stuff everyone hates Booth for will be way worse with Kulemin, he will be more invisible at times than an injured Booth.

As for Franson if he equals Andersson and a 3rd - just do that trade and forget Kulemin altogether.

Everything else is ok I just don't like how you want to give up all the Canucks Draft Picks. Canucks don't pick till 4th round in 2014? I think that's unacceptable, but that's just me.

Archived