The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Did the US Kill a Rolling Stone Reporter?

TOMapleLaughs

" Dvorak also noted that it is possible to “hack into the car system and operate the accelerator, the brakes, windshield wipers, light, steering,” and more using a simple iPad "

Information from people who do not have the slightest idea of how automobiles work and believe everything they see in movies. Im not saying the car wasnt tampered with but really.

Gee, his brand new Mercedes suddenly explodes driving down the street. He's telling all his friends and family the government is after him.

It's obvious they killed him - it's classic gangsterism. Read The Runaway General.

OK, so its not just the woman in the article that believes everything she sees in movies. There is a huge difference between drive by wire and remote control by wire.The car still requires the steering wheel to be turned and the accel and brake pedals to be depressed manually. Theres no magic powers in real life.

The controls aren't mechanical. Sensors detect the inputs from the controls and the ECU is the device that controls the vehicle through this information. You can control almost anything in a car through the ECU. Racers install programmable chips that allow you to modify the performance of a car without swapping a single part. This isn't the 70's anymore.

Here's an article where two engineers successfully hacked and remotely controlled a car:

http://www.dailymail...o=feeds-newsxml

So this impressive, young, uncompromising journalist dies(only 33 yrs, RIP) on June 18th? Apparently after complaining of FBI harrassment; & telling friends he's working on something, "bigger than ever"?

June 18th is interesting. Only 5 days later, I believe, is when Snowden flees Hawaii for Hong Kong. Were Snowden & Hastings collaborating on some whistle-blowing revelations? Is this info(murdering a journalist, who was researching the NSA), why they're moving heaven & earth, in trying to get to Snowden?

• 3 weeks later...

Latest on Michael Hastings:

Latest Info on Michael Hastings: He Thought “His Mercedes was Being Tampered With”

Posted on August 23, 2013

For those of us who remain fascinated by theextremely suspicious and bizarre circumstancessurrounding the death of celebrated investigative journalist Michael Hastings, the following article from the LA Weekly is a must read. Amongst other things, we learn that he went to his neighbor’s apartment one night and asked to borrow her car because he suspected his was “being tampered with.” I’ll let the story speak for itself. From the LA Weekly:

In April, a man named Erin Walker Markland drove off a mountain road near Santa Cruz and was killed. The woman who had planned to marry him, Jordanna Thigpen, was devastated. For comfort, she turned to a man who had taken up residence next door. He had been through something similar — years before, his fiancée had been killed.

The landlord they both rented from had encouraged her to meet him, saying he was a writer. In their initial conversations, he was unusually modest. It was only when she Googled his name — Michael Hastings — that she learned he was a famous war correspondent.

His behavior grew increasingly erratic. Helicopters often circle over the hills, but Hastings believed there were more of them around whenever he was at home, keeping an eye on him. He came to believe his Mercedes was being tampered with. “Nothing I could say could console him,” Thigpen says.

One night in June, he came to Thigpen’s apartment after midnight and urgently asked to borrow her Volvo. He said he was afraid to drive his own car. She declined, telling him her car was having mechanical problems.

“He was scared, and he wanted to leave town,” she says.

The next day, around 11:15 a.m., she got a call from her landlord, who told her Hastings had died early that morning. His car had crashed into a palm tree at 75 mph and exploded in a ball of fire.

He was most famous for “The Runaway General,” the Rolling Stone piece that ended the career of Gen. Stanley A. McChrystal, commander of theAfghanistan war. Hastings had built a reputation as a fearless disrupter of the cozy ways of Washington, gleefully calling bull on government hacks and colleagues alike. He was loved and admired, hated and feared.

The day before he died, he’d warned colleagues in an email that he was being investigated by the FBI. He also said he was onto a “big story,” and would be going off the radar. Almost inevitably, his death — in a fiery, single-car crash, at 4:20 a.m. on June 18 — resulted in a swarm of conspiracy theories.

In the school paper, Hastings compared the principal to Jabba the Hut. He ran for class president on an anti-administration platform. (He won.) And he was suspended and removed from the student council when he used the word “shagadelic” in the morning announcements.

He did have his moments. Hastings got into an obscenity-laced email battle with Hillary Clinton’s spokesman over Benghazi, then published the exchange. He also got in trouble when he reported on an off-the-record drinks session between Obama and campaign reporters. Hastings argued that the reception was fair game and that only the president’s remarks were off the record. That’s not how the Obama campaign saw it, nor many in the press. The resulting furor came to be called, jokingly, “The Battle of Hastings.”

“Any leeway or sympathy I ever give to the Obama White House, I take back forever,” he said on Huffpost Live, on May 14.

The next week on The Young Turks, Hastings wore a green “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” T-shirt. Gesticulating for emphasis, he shouted, “I’m sick of this partisan, defend-Obama-on-everything. He’s tapping your phones! The man is tapping your phones!”

Mike McTernan, a staffer at Brave New Films, helped arrange a Skype interview for Hastings with some victims injured in a drone strike in Pakistan in early June.Hastings was thinking about including the material in a story he was doing for Rolling Stone on CIA director John Brennan.

Kimberly Dvorak, a freelance reporter for San Diego 6, was barely aware of Hastings until he died in circumstances too bizarre for her to ignore. She’s now the leading reporter looking at “alternate” theories of the crash.

“The more I find out about this, the more I’m convinced something happened,” she says. “But we are never gonna get someone from a federal agency raising their hand saying, ‘It was me, I’m sorry.’ ”

Archived