The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC Fantasy League

Nail

Tanev is incredibly overrated by Canucks fans, but if you seriously think that a 33 year old Douglas Murray who can hardly keep up with ECHLers in footspeed is a better option than Tanev, who's solid in his own zone, better at passive, younger, and much more mobile, then there's a problem. Especially when our D-core will probably get injured with Torts system, and the 5th or 6th guys will most likely have to play in the top four.

I'm not saying that you're wrong, I'm just saying that your opinion is terrible.

We have enough smooth skating defencemen on our team. What we need is a stay at home tough defencemen who can clear the front of the net and take on players such as Byfuglien, Chara, etc. If you think Tanev can do that, you need to get your head checked.

We have enough smooth skating defencemen on our team. What we need is a stay at home tough defencemen who can clear the front of the net and take on players such as Byfuglien, Chara, etc. If you think Tanev can do that, you need to get your head checked.

Did I ever say I thought Tanev could do that? Don't put words in my mouth. I'm waiting to see what Garrison and Bieksa bring under Torts. Both are strong enough to clear the net, and I'd rather have Tanev running smoothly on the back end than Murray being undressed like a pylon.

Murray was atrocious during the playoffs this year. All I saw from him was him getting skated around over and over.

Well you obviously need help since you drafted an injured guy in the first round...

He's going to be back during camp and since it was only a finger injury he can still train other than lifting weights so...

Murray can't skate or move the puck but at least he can clear the crease while he's hemmed in his own zone!

He's gone from a legitimate #2/3 defenseman who could play against top competition well to a replacement level defenseman who can't handle soft competition in a span of 3 years. That's a HUGE drop off. It's not like he just had a bad year either, as he's been in steady decline since 09/10. He's living off of reputation at this point and I wouldn't be surprised if he's out of the NHL before the end of the season.

On the other hand, Tanev has been stellar against soft competition and has shown well in the few opportunities he's had to move up. At 23 years old, he's trending upwards and is still a couple years away from his prime. His upside may be questionable but he's still the better defenseman of the two right now anyway.

Archived