The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Don’t Re-sign the Sedin Twins

hockeyfan87

Looks like the OP was right on the money.

Unfortunately, this team will go no where until their contracts are up.

It's not like Gillis could have let them walk, so I can't blame him for the Sedins uselessness. Having said that, lots of us knew it was a nail in the coffin if we re-signed them to big money, which is what happened.

They were really good players, and for a couple seasons they were great, but we all know their weaknesses and see those weaknesses magnifying each year.

I don't hate on the Sedins, and never have, but I am not a blind cheerleader.

Do yourself a favor and pick a secondary team to cheer for.

its been said so many times already: who else are you going to spend that $14 mil on? keep in mind there isnt going to be a single top line forward available via trade or free agency.

you need some players around to carry the weight and lead during a rebuild/retool and gillis chose the sedins. its why they're untouchable. it was also absolutely the right choice. not only are they consummate professionals, incredible leaders on the ice and in the community, and supremely loyal to the organization, but there isn't a single other player already in the organization or available on the market who could be the kind of mentors and role models that the sedins are.

not everything is about scoring points.

its been said so many times already: who else are you going to spend that $14 mil on? keep in mind there isnt going to be a single top line forward available via trade or free agency.

you need some players around to carry the weight and lead during a rebuild/retool and gillis chose the sedins. its why they're untouchable. it was also absolutely the right choice. not only are they consummate professionals, incredible leaders on the ice and in the community, and supremely loyal to the organization, but there isn't a single other player already in the organization or available on the market who could be the kind of mentors and role models that the sedins are.

not everything is about scoring points.

It's about scoring points if you want to win.

I can't convince Sedin-lovers that they will not lead us to victory, so I won't try, but just go watch a Blackhawks game and see how a real strong core looks. It's night and day.

It's about scoring points if you want to win.

I can't convince Sedin-lovers that they will not lead us to victory, so I won't try, but just go watch a Blackhawks game and see how a real strong core looks. It's night and day.

yeah, and that's not the stage of the development cycle the canucks currently find themselves in.

chicago's core is in their prime. with hossa the oldest at 35 and toews and kane the youngest at 25, with sharp. keith, and seabrook all in between, the hawks should be competitive for another 4-5 years with their current core. because they managed to draft two elite forwards with high draft picks, find two excellent complimentary forwards via trade/free agency, and develop two excellent defenceman the long way, their core will have a long reign at the top.

the canucks current core was always pretty average. they started rising when vigneault got here, they all peaked in 10/11, and the decline since has been rapid. the core just isn't as good as chicago's, and as such, their window of opportunity was much smaller. it's gone.

at this point nobody should be expecting the sedins to lead the canucks to a cup, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be leading the team into the future as they continue to build a new core from within and hopefully make some prudent acquisitions through trades and free agency.

these are two guys who willingly sacrificed their last few shots at the cup to stay with this franchise and thanklessly carry the load for what will be an average-at-best team while the new generation is being brought along to eventually take their place. how that kind of selflessness and loyalty isn't universally admired and respected by every canucks fan is boggling and disgusting to me.

and like i said before, who else available are you going to spend that $14 mil on? callahan and vanek? neither would come here, and they'll both be far more overpaid than the sedins anyway. they also wouldn't lead this team to a cup.

what needs to happen is for the fans to look towards 3 or 4 years from now when a new core has been solidified. that core should be built around henrik, daniel, kassian, horvat, shinkaruk, gaunce, hopefully jensen, tanev, stanton, bieksa, hamhuis, lack, and whatever good young players they bring in through the draft, college free agency, and in trades for assets like kesler, burrows, hansen, edler, garrison, luongo, etc.

Damned if we signed the Sedins, damned if we didn't.

It's all about the future, as you say.

yes, and you can thank your gm for not making the improvements necessary in the summer after the cup loss, a time when a couple of smart and "bold" moves could have legitimately been enough to get this core back to the dance.

but instead he stuck with the horses that had failed, let key complementary pieces walk, and either replaced them with big time downgrades or not at all.

Yeah, I used to be a Gillis fan boy until the Schneider/Luongo debacle in 2012.

We need a GM capable of making trades, as in, a guy who isn't hated by most other GM's (I wanted Schneider traded long ago, as I KNEW no one would take on Lu's contract as soon as it was signed, and I was fine with that).

It really sucks to be a Canucks fan right now, and for a few more years probably.

its not that bad. its cyclical. right now the forest is dried up and dead, but all it needs is a fire to burn it down and nourish the new growth that will follow.

Yes, because we have such a history of effective drafting and player development.

What, is Jordan Schroeder to lift the cup for this team or something? The cup is bigger than he is.

Yes, because we have such a history of effective drafting and player development.

What, is Jordan Schroeder to lift the cup for this team or something? The cup is bigger than he is.

preaching to the choir, guy. you won't find a stauncher critic of this team's drafting and development than me.

for the sedins? abso-freaking-lutely.

for the others? considerably less so.

You do remember what happened to Jovo, Naslund, Ohlund... and their NTCs, right? Our "core" walked away. And as far as the Sedins go, I have seen enough history to predict the future. But that's just me. Their style is not playoff hockey, so why bother. Throw in a NTC and it perpetuates.

You do remember what happened to Jovo, Naslund, Ohlund... and their NTCs, right? Our "core" walked away. And as far as the Sedins go, I have seen enough history to predict the future. But that's just me. Their style is not playoff hockey, so why bother. Throw in a NTC and it perpetuates.

i don't know what your point is.

When a NTC is up the asset can walk. How do you rebuild after that? When the players I mentioned left in exchange for nothing it hurt. You can fill in the blanks from there. That is one aspect of why I am of this opinion.

When a player walks, we get one of the most important asset there is: cap space. Don't you wish Burrows and Booth would walk away for nothing after this season: pronto about $9 million in cap space, enough to pay a Weber type of player, or Vanek if you want a real possibility. But will the walk? Zero chance.

When a player walks, we get one of the most important asset there is: cap space. Don't you wish Burrows and Booth would walk away for nothing after this season: pronto about $9 million in cap space, enough to pay a Weber type of player, or Vanek if you want a real possibility. But will the walk? Zero chance.

silver lining, sure. nice business model though. having your hands tied and finally forced by others.

Archived