The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are the Playoffs Rigged? (Put on Your Tinfoil Hat, We're Going In...)

TOMapleLaughs

Man, you lurk on here pretending to be the voice of reason. You always seem to take the League view. Coincidence of course, right grandma?

The main guy doing the yapping was already no longer a ref, He wasn't at the highest level. He didn't admit to game fixing; he bragged about manipulating games. We did not solicit his opinion. He interrupted a conversation we were having about towns which, in our experience, had the worst reffing. We were from different areas, so it was an interesting conversation. Once again, we did not ask for his opinion. This occurred in North Vancouver.

Any actual refs or ex-refs care to comment?

I happen to personally know EOTM and he only dresses up as Mrs Doubtfire on the weekends .. so there.

I just pictured Christopher Walken as Mrs. Doubtfire... that would definitely add a different flair to the movie.

I happen to personally know EOTM and he only dresses up as Mrs Doubtfire on the weekends .. so there.

On weekends I light my boobs on fire over the stove and speak in broken sentences.

Care to elaborate or are you just being a jerk?

Sure I'll elaborate.

The nhl playoffs are by far the most interesting two months in sports. Even US markets get excited. It's an epic event that defines the sport. 16 wins to the most difficult trophy in sports.

And you come along and sh*t on it and wonder why someone lashes out at you. People like yourself that find fun things in life and try to change them make me livid. If YOU are the one person who likes hockey and not a game like tonight's gm7 ... That's fine with me, but guess what, it needs to be fine with you that the rest of our country and other hockey fans think it's awesome.

Sure I'll elaborate.

The nhl playoffs are by far the most interesting two months in sports. Even US markets get excited. It's an epic event that defines the sport. 16 wins to the most difficult trophy in sports.

And you come along and sh*t on it and wonder why someone lashes out at you. People like yourself that find fun things in life and try to change them make me livid. If YOU are the one person who likes hockey and not a game like tonight's gm7 ... That's fine with me, but guess what, it needs to be fine with you that the rest of our country and other hockey fans think it's awesome.

What the blue hell hell are you talking about?

Did you just pull the old I'm working for the league card? and then call me grandma.

Anyways, you don't know anybody. This conversation never happened anywhere but in your head. I'm not even saying that refs don't manipulate games I'm at this point just saying you're full of crap.

I would be very interested to hear an actual ref or ex ref comment rather than some second hand made up story that just so happens to back up your point but only just recently something you decided to say. Coincidence of course, right?

Yes I did. Very astute of you.

You just called me a liar. Pretty slimy tactics grandma!

The conversation did take place just like I said it did. This guy interrupted our conversation about crappy officiating to rub in different ways in which he manipulated games. His buddies threw a couple more in. I don't give a flying crap if you believe me or not.

Once again, is there any actual refs or ex-refs who would care to comment? Did you ref grandma?

Yes I did. Very astute of you.

You just called me a liar. Pretty slimy tactics grandma!

The conversation did take place just like I said it did. This guy interrupted our conversation about crappy officiating to rub in different ways in which he manipulated games. His buddies threw a couple more in. I don't give a flying crap if you believe me or not.

Once again, is there any actual refs or ex-refs who would care to comment? Did you ref grandma?

Did I claim to ref?

C'mon rwm. It never happened. You know it, I know it, we all know it. Might as well be claiming to be an insider in the proposals section. It's not slimey tactics; it's not a tactic at all actually. You're just full of crap.

Out of curiousity where did the grandma thing come from? Are you 13 with a grandma fetish?

Actually wait yes yes I did ref. Sorry I forgot to mention it until now but it's totes true I promise. I was totes an NHL ref. Yup, I'm just now bringing it up, I know I could have brought it up before and saved all this time but you know. Anyways...yeah.

I think he thinks I was the guy he was replying to but I was meaning to reply to him when I asked if her was being a jerk or making a point. I wasn't sure if there was a history there between them.

this is getting really confusing now :/

It's pretty obvious this year. My friends and I always joke around saying "The script is in" or "It's part of the script" for the bad calls.

But from the other side, the refs are viewing the game in real time and not looking at replays or the full rink like we all are from home. They miss it once, it's done. And if we reviewed penalties, there would be far too many pauses mid game because coaches will be screaming for them 24/7. It's hard to make every single call.

Did I claim to ref?

C'mon rwm. It never happened. You know it, I know it, we all know it. Might as well be claiming to be an insider in the proposals section. It's not slimey tactics; it's not a tactic at all actually. You're just full of crap.

Out of curiousity where did the grandma thing come from? Are you 13 with a grandma fetish?

Actually wait yes yes I did ref. Sorry I forgot to mention it until now but it's totes true I promise. I was totes an NHL ref. Yup, I'm just now bringing it up, I know I could have brought it up before and saved all this time but you know. Anyways...yeah.

You are now officially in douchebag territory grandma.

The reason I asked if you reffed is because I would like to hear from a ref or ex ref on this subject.

If you think about it, it makes sense. Most refs start young when they can't play hockey but still want to be involved in the game. They usually ref younger children from their local team. The parents screaming at them and threatening them are people they have to deal with on a regular basis. They start out with a bias. they move up to better leagues, but still ref local teams. The first few years most refs ref with a bias for the local teams. It's not hard to imagine that they would continue manipulating games or that they learn how early. That they magically become honest and beyond reproach is harder to believe..

The conversation did take place, whether you like it or not.

Refs or ex-refs please respond.

You are now officially in douchebag territory grandma.

The reason I asked if you reffed is because I would like to hear from a ref or ex ref on this subject.

If you think about it, it makes sense. Most refs start young when they can't play hockey but still want to be involved in the game. They usually ref younger children from their local team. The parents screaming at them and threatening them are people they have to deal with on a regular basis. They start out with a bias. they move up to better leagues, but still ref local teams. The first few years most refs ref with a bias for the local teams. It's not hard to imagine that they would continue manipulating games or that they learn how early. That they magically become honest and beyond reproach is harder to believe..

The conversation did take place, whether you like it or not.

Refs or ex-refs please respond.

Lets try not to lower ourselves to personal attacks.

Also as a therapist you should probably talk to somebody regarding your paragraph there. You also might want to talk to them about your imaginary ex-ref friend.

You also won't find any real refs here; but you know that. If you're looking for refs from kids leagues you may find some. I used to ref high school football for real. But I doubt you want to hear from me right?

Archived