The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sochi scheduling question

I personally think that they should shorten the NHL schedule in Olympic years. They continue to play an 82-game schedule despite having 2 less weeks of game time. This means more back-to-back games and fewer days off for the players and maybe that is why there are so many long-term injuries being suffered this year.

If I were the NHLPA I'd advocate for maybe a 75 game season during Olympic years.

But the NHL may not go for that. They're already hesitant to have NHLers participate in the Olympics. Bet they wouldn't be crazy about losing revenue as well.

I personally think that they should shorten the NHL schedule in Olympic years. They continue to play an 82-game schedule despite having 2 less weeks of game time. This means more back-to-back games and fewer days off for the players and maybe that is why there are so many long-term injuries being suffered this year.

If I were the NHLPA I'd advocate for maybe a 75 game season during Olympic years.

But the NHL may not go for that. They're already hesitant to have NHLers participate in the Olympics. Bet they wouldn't be crazy about losing revenue as well.

In order for the owners to agree to that they would need to get some more money back from the Olympics. Less games equals less money $$.

Archived