The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PGT van loses to queens

Cucumber

Even though we lost, this was a statement game - moreso than beating the Blues. Sure it was HUGE in terms of the standings, but I'm happy to see us throw a game here and there if it means we demolish our rivals physically. Torts knew what he was doing, throwing Sestito on the twins line right after they got run - and he responded.

If there's one thing we should have learned from todays game its that our PK is fantastic, and will let our players take runs at other guys. This is how Boston and Chicago won Cups during their times - they would take these cheap shots and go after stars, and their PK would bail them out. In the playoffs, what Sestito did is probably a 2 minute minor. See Marchand.

I personally would rather see my team loose than resort to cheap Briun like efforts to win. I will never be a fan of a team that purposefully attempts to injure another teams stars. Reality is last night we lost despite our fantastic PK, next time I'd like to see the Canucks focus more on scoring and less on cheap hits and chriping the other teams players.

You can pin a lot of that on Torterella's "system". It's pretty clear that hamhuis is playing the style that Torterella wants him to play, a high risk, high reward game, and at times he ends up looking like Bieksa does on most nights. Mistakes are also more noticeable than the many many many good things he does every single game.

For sure the new system is a factor, but I've noticed it for a bit longer than Torts has been here. It's like he's trying to play somebody else's game, maybe because our D don't seem to have well-defined roles any more. But you're right about mistakes being more noticeable than the kind of solid play we're used to from Hammer.

I personally would rather see my team loose than resort to cheap Briun like efforts to win. I will never be a fan of a team that purposefully attempts to injure another teams stars. Reality is last night we lost despite our fantastic PK, next time I'd like to see the Canucks focus more on scoring and less on cheap hits and chriping the other teams players.

I think if you ask any coach in the NHL you can't teach focus on scoring. You have to give the team the tools they don't have and sharpen the ones they do. The focus has to be on playing the coach's system. You may have an under skilled team that does well and an over skilled team that does not. It is the cohesiveness of the team that goes a long way and this is developed through the leadership with the coach on the point.

I hope we snag someone at the trade deadline for a defenceman and call up Horvat for 3C.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Higgins/Santorelli - Kesler - Schroeder (I'm a big Schroed's fan and think he'll be the playmaker Kes needs)

Santorelli/Higgins - Horvat/Schroeder (If he's not up to par or gets injured again)- Hansen

Sestito - Richardson - Kassian

Insert huge Trade Deadline acquisition anywhere. Playoff bound with a "chance" to go far. I threw Horvat in there because that line up doesn't look like it's going far regardless. Giving a defensively strong rookie playoff time with two solid wingers could give him a huge spark and potentially give us some depth offensively.

I'm perfectly OK with people thinking I'm in the wrong here. You guys can have your opinion and think this was a moral victory, that's OK. If the Canucks turn around and win 8 of their next 10 and go on to win a couple playoff series with some toughness and grit I'll gladly eat my words.

If they miss the playoffs by 1 or 2 points though I'm TOTALLY bringing this game up in April.

But will anyone but you care at that point? .. I will be fishing

Not sure I like the optics of Hank deliberately wafting his arm at Brown's head (if he's suspended does that break the IronMan streak?) but Brown went down like he'd been shot with a harpoon. What a complete female cat that cheapshot artist is. He makes me sick.

Brenden Shanahan would really be dragging his feet if he suspended hank for the play seeing as it was a year ago.

-I liked how we made LA look like turtling, whining divers, but a win would've been SO sweet.

-Wondering if other teams' opponents are all scared of Kassian now. Brown didn't want to fight him, but Brown has like 2 less goals this season with way more icetime, so where does he get off? Essentially, he's a rat captain.

-If we could only get Booth to not be invisible in these type of games, or any type of game.

-This game missed Burr.

-Next time, push back sooner so guys like Hank and Lu don't get run over all the time.

I hope we snag someone at the trade deadline for a defenceman and call up Horvat for 3C.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Higgins/Santorelli - Kesler - Schroeder (I'm a big Schroed's fan and think he'll be the playmaker Kes needs)

Santorelli/Higgins - Horvat/Schroeder (If he's not up to par or gets injured again)- Hansen

Sestito - Richardson - Kassian

Insert huge Trade Deadline acquisition anywhere. Playoff bound with a "chance" to go far. I threw Horvat in there because that line up doesn't look like it's going far regardless. Giving a defensively strong rookie playoff time with two solid wingers could give him a huge spark and potentially give us some depth offensively.

You can't just "call up" a player from the OHL!

Was anyone else as shocked as me to see so many people complaining about the game last night, completely ignoring the fact that we finally proved to ourselves we can stand up to the tough teams? Been waiting, literally, since the playoffs of 2009 when the blackhawks showed us that violence helps win (they ran Luongo so often, Byfuglien actually punched Lu in the face one time as he skated by, feeling he could do it with impunity.)

Yeah, we lost one game out of 82, but how some can't see the big picture here is beyond me.

In case some weren't paying attention over the last few years, the league has completely left the speed game and is focused on toughness (because that's how the refs officiate now). If we don't learn to play tough/violent, we have NO chance in the playoffs.

Wake up, dummies.

I had hoped for 2 points but watching these guys sticking up for each other was impressive.

Indeed, forget the standings, great moral victory. Now let's get another moral victory in Anaheim to make it a perfect California trip. Wasn't it great to see how pumped Kesler was in his interview after the game. I think the interviewer asking three times about actually losing the game and every time Kesler set him straight- this was a victory to us, we dominated them, in our minds we are winners. In reality, this is the perfect outcomes: LA is happy to have won the game and the Canucks are happy to have won the 'moral' game.

I think if you ask any coach in the NHL you can't teach focus on scoring. You have to give the team the tools they don't have and sharpen the ones they do. The focus has to be on playing the coach's system. You may have an under skilled team that does well and an over skilled team that does not. It is the cohesiveness of the team that goes a long way and this is developed through the leadership with the coach on the point.

seriously??? If you can't teach focus on scoring then why do teams spend so long working on their power play? Or shotting and passing skills.

Perhaps the blatant dives tricked you into thinking we played dirty?

Face it, violence wins in today's game.

The guys played a solid game tonight and deservrd a better fate. There were a lot of good things that happened in that game like the Edler hit, Sestito standing up and setting the tone, Kesler taking on Brown and the big PK. The whole team was in the game 100% and great to see Tortolella showing emotion behind the bench.

This time there was nothing to hang your head down over the loss because they made a team statement.

The guys played a solid game tonight and deservrd a better fate. There were a lot of good things that happened in that game like the Edler hit, Sestito standing up and setting the tone, Kesler taking on Brown and the big PK. The whole team was in the game 100% and great to see Tortolella showing emotion behind the bench.

This time there was nothing to hang your head down over the loss because they made a team statement.

Exactly, they made a team statement. The statement was that we won't be pushed around. Some people may have preferred if they had made the statement that they can actually win a game against LA but obviously most fans on here agree that this is not realistic and are very happy with the statement that was made.

Archived