The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Luongo's drama free season

5Fivehole0

one of the best of his career, and Schneider is still playing better on a far worse team

...and Eddie Lack has almost exactly similar numbers playing in a far less ideal situation. Lou has been good but let's not get carried away here.

Let's also not forget that Schneider has played about 1/3 less games than Louie and is playing in a weaker conference... and even though the Devils aren't that great of a team, they're still pretty good defensively...

And Lack, while playing great, has only played a handful of games, you can't compare that to Lu who's played over 36... Infact Lack's numbers being similar to Luongo's is more of a testament to how amazing he (lack) has played so far...

I love how there are people here that try to discredit any and everything Luongo does... Yes, the Olympics and the playoffs (if we make it) will definitely be a true indicator of his performance this season but you have to give credit where it's due... If Luongo continues this run (and if we actually start scoring some goals and winning some games) he can easily make a case for a Vezina...

Clearly Luongo...is taking things year.... by year.

No one should think he's here forever...so please just enjoy what we've got....before it's gone. Be a fan....'cuz Lu has amassed enough experience & credentials for a few goalie life-times. That's an accomplishment & deserves some respect in and of itself. But his evolution as a teammate, former-captain, leader, mentor & now still poster-boy for our franchise...is also extra-ordinary. I hope something really special happens - either this year...or the next.... 'cuz - I'd really like to see him further cement his legacy... as the best 'Nucks goal-tender that this franchise has ever had.

Who are even the comparables...Gary Smith? Richard Brodeur? Kirk McLean? It's currently Roberto Luongo's reign... & he has out-performed all of the others. Now - to put a real stamp on it - if he can!

Folks, it's January. Lou is always at his very best in January. Howsabout we hold off on articles like this until after the Olympics and the playoffs, eh? There WILL be drama, mark my words...

Actually he was even better in December and just as good in November... Not to mention that he had his best October in a long time...

Listen, there will definitely be Drama come playoff time (again, if we actually make it) and alot could happen in the Olympics but there's no reason to not give credit where it's due... He's having a helluva season... Yes it could all change if he has a few terrible games or if he doesn't' perform well in the playoffs or the Olympics but there's no denying the fact that he's easily having one of his best seasons so far...

Garrison

You're funny :lol:

Lou has been a revelation this season, thank goodness. I never wanted him to leave, I just hope we can keep him here and playing for the duration of his contract. It would be ace to see him retire with 600 wins, and the undisputed all-time Canuck great. We just need a Cup.

I missed the Gadzik challenge. That might have been fun. He pretty much out duelled Lucic once already; a formidable opponent.

On the Lou front; I can respect it to a point. He has the right to put up a list of a few teams he's like to target is my understanding. Yup, I would contact them. But they still have to offer a reasonable return.

Lou is a professional athlete. The best guess as to motivation is I understand his family lives in Florida. Thats an issue. I don't understand why a guy would sign a 12 year contract if his family was not going to support him. Thats all speculation. I could be off base. But it remains up to those teams to provide said reasonable returns...

His family doesn't live away from him. They all have lived in Vancouver over the course of his career. Last year they stayed in Florida because he was expecting a trade and didn't want his daughter to have to move schools halfway through the year. It's not like they sent him out here on his own for 10 months a year. They live in Florida in the off-season.

All this family talk... I have a theory

What if Lui actually likes the time away from his family? BUT on the surface he says he doesn't mind being closer to home for example playing for panthers or lightning just to keep his wife happy? But in reality he loves the single life in Vancouver the greatest city in the universe.

Either way the franchise is having one of the best seasons of his career. He'll keep it up and be in Vezina contention.

Archived