The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Luongo's drama free season

5Fivehole0

IMO our MVP's in order would be

#1 Luongo (by a mile)

#2 Kesler

#3 Hamhuis

Yes Hammer has made some mistakes but the guy has also been logging close to 30mins/game.

Pretty close to hammer I'd put Lack

#1 Luongo (by a mile)

#2 Kesler

#3 Hamhuis

Sorry...as good as Kesler has been, he's been far from perfect.

Making mistakes, taking bad penalties, can't hit the side of a barn in the shoot out...plus/minus of -4 for the season so far...

He's still not where he was in 2010/11

Yes, without him, we'd be in trouble - I just expect more from him.

This guy is ready to challenge for the cup in the next couple years. I sure hope we can hold on to him.

One thing I've noticed about him that's subtle but shows he's really turned a corner is he holds on to his stick now. Last 5 years he's dropped his stick 10 times a game and now he seems to be making real tough blocker saves without dropping the lumber.

one of the best of his career, and Schneider is still playing better on a far worse team

Schneider 'playing better'? Seriously? He has 8 wins in 24 games played... you can say he's on a worse team, but if he's so great, shouldn't he be the starter and stealing more games? He's playing in a much weaker conference too. And his .926 save % is marginally better than Lu's .924 with Lu playing 11 more games. Lu has also had to play with a depleted defense in front of him.

He's having a career year probably, offensively he certainly is, but he's still on pace for only 42 points, which is good, but not quite MVP level. He's also a rather mediocre -2.

Part of the reason Lu is so far and away our MVP to me is that no one else has been that incredible. Some have majorly exceeded expectations (Tanev, Stanton, Santorelli), but they haven't played to the all-star level that Luongo has.

Well the fact the 100 point players can have minus seasons is a testament to the uselessness of that number. Garrison consistency is what makes him mvp. Very rarely do I see mistakes from him. Plus he is my favourite hockey player so I do have some bias.

If you been watching canucks for a long time

this comes as no surprise

Luongo been tearing it up

2011-12 season led us to back to back presidents trophy

loses his job cause canucks cant score/defend(that king series he played lights out) deja vu vs sharks

yet he gets the blame

crazy

If you been watching canucks for a long time

this comes as no surprise

Luongo been tearing it up

2011-12 season led us to back to back presidents trophy

loses his job cause canucks cant score/defend(that king series he played lights out) deja vu vs sharks

yet he gets the blame

crazy

Ya, I don't get how Lu didn't continue to get the starts opposed to Schneider, he was lights out in that series.

As Sid says, his new agent group may have a fair bit to do with it, and the decreased attention of Schneider having been moved helps probably too. I'd be happy to have him back but also respect him if he did want to move on after this year.

Injuring Gagner to begin with then his comments the first game after that injury, plus refusing to fight Gazdik last game and mentioning in comments afterwards he prefers that to opposing players liking him.

I missed the Gadzik challenge. That might have been fun. He pretty much out duelled Lucic once already; a formidable opponent.

On the Lou front; I can respect it to a point. He has the right to put up a list of a few teams he's like to target is my understanding. Yup, I would contact them. But they still have to offer a reasonable return.

Lou is a professional athlete. The best guess as to motivation is I understand his family lives in Florida. Thats an issue. I don't understand why a guy would sign a 12 year contract if his family was not going to support him. Thats all speculation. I could be off base. But it remains up to those teams to provide said reasonable returns...

Anyone who suggested trading Cory on these boards last year was made out to be crazy. "Theres no coming back" , "we've burned our bridges with Lu"...etc. Pretty sure Lu just wanted to start. Not sure why we ever gave Cory the starting gig, all it did was create playoff turmoil/ distraction.

It didnt help that the fans and the media made the situation to be way more than it was. MG should have just cut his losses a few years earlier and traded Cory to the highest bidder. Even if he didn't get exactly what Cory was worth it would have been better than what he ended up getting. If you look at what Varlamov got for Washington its pretty clear he waited too long.

one of the best of his career, and Schneider is still playing better on a far worse team

...and Eddie Lack has almost exactly similar numbers playing in a far less ideal situation. Lou has been good but let's not get carried away here.

Archived