The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

B.C. must pay $2M to teachers over class-size court battle

Heretic

The education system already has plenty of money. Above the national average, above our closest comparables (Ont/Que who we should arguably be below). This is not a funding priority issue. Education already IS a priority based on those numbers and the reality that it is the second largest budget allocation.

Again, the problem isn't the money coming from the province, it's HOW that money's being spent that's the issue.

You didn't answer my question.

Your claim of waste is curious seeing as you give no evidence other than anecdotal.

You have no idea how the system actually works yet seem so riled up about it.

Not Ontario/Quebec...

It tells me that funding (or lack thereof) isn't the issue or at the very least it's certainly not remotely the main issue.

Contrary to Heretic/Inane's claims it's not a matter of funding cuts or "There is money. It's all about choices. "

The problem lies in how that money is being spent (wasted). Not how much of it there is.

I think the issue is that we are not spending to meet the actual needs. Spending $10,000 in BC is not the same as spending $10,000 in other places in Canada because the costs for everything else are so much higher. The key is to make sure that funding is spent in the right way so it can meet the needs of a technological generation and prepare them for the future.

I think the issue is that we are not spending to meet the actual needs. Spending $10,000 in BC is not the same as spending $10,000 in other places in Canada because the costs for everything else are so much higher. The key is to make sure that funding is spent in the right way so it can meet the needs of a technological generation and prepare them for the future.

Cost of living in Ont/Que is pretty darned comparable to here... not that that's directly relevant to the cost of education in those places.

Where's your evidence that it costs more to educate a student in BC than elsewhere in this country?

The answer to your question is here:

http://www.bcbudget.....ca/default.htm

I think the last couple posts are pretty decent evidence.

What evidence do you have I have no idea? Seems to me I have a much better idea than you and Heretic combined...lol

A budget line item is one thing, it's a lot more complicated than that. The budget can go up, but if they download all this new stuff to school boards, and cut other things, then it's functionally reducing the budget. You're so single minded it's ridiculous, you have no idea how complicated this is yet you sit there and claim we don't know. You sound like a troll.

The education system already has plenty of money. Above the national average, above our closest comparables (Ont/Que who we should arguably be below). This is not a funding priority issue. Education already IS a priority based on those numbers and the reality that it is the second largest budget allocation.

Again, the problem isn't the money coming from the province, it's HOW that money's being spent that's the issue.

How much does a house in BC cost compared to a house in other provinces? The average home price is about $570,000 whereas in Ontario it is $395,000, Quebec is $265,000. Comparing to the money spent per student to the value of a house, BC spends 1.75%, Ontario is 2.5%, and Quebec is 3.8%. Using this example, which is very limited, BC is spending significantly less than BC and Ontario funding education.

Cost of living in Ont/Que is pretty darned comparable to here... not that that's directly relevant to the cost of education in those places.

Where's your evidence that it costs more to educate a student in BC than elsewhere in this country?

The cost is actually less in BC, if you take everything from CPI and Housing costs into consideration.

The answer to your question is here:

http://www.bcbudget.....ca/default.htm

I think the last couple posts are pretty decent evidence.

What evidence do you have I have no idea? Seems to me I have a much better idea than you and Heretic combined...lol

Educate yourself:

http://betterschoolsbc.ca/

Read the "How we got here" section.

How much does a house in BC cost compared to a house in other provinces? The average home price is about $570,000 whereas in Ontario it is $395,000, Quebec is $265,000. Comparing to the money spent per student to the value of a house, BC spends 1.75%, Ontario is 2.5%, and Quebec is 3.8%. Using this example, which is very limited, BC is spending significantly less than BC and Ontario funding education.

You're numbers aren't correct based on my quick google search. Also as you mentioned, that's a very limited comparison that should not directly reflect education budgets.

The evidence is that costs less to educate a student in BC than the rest of the country.

que?

Reported for attacking poster. I never claimed to "be" anything. What I wrote is truthful. WTF are you even going on about?

You know, it clearly states in the rules you should just report me and not tell me you're doing it so...hypocrite much?

Your 'truth' is simplistic. You take a budget line item and say 'see they're spending lots' but you ignore all the downloaded costs and other factors that make that one line item a pretty useless stat.

You're numbers aren't correct based on my quick google search. Also as you mentioned, that's a very limited comparison that should not directly reflect education budgets.

que?

Numbers are directly from the Canadian Real Estate Association itself http://crea.ca/conte...erage-price-map

School district property taxes are one way that schools budgets are financed. Property taxes are based upon the valuation of a home. BC home values are the highest in Canada.

Numbers are directly from the Canadian Real Estate Association itself http://crea.ca/conte...erage-price-map

School district property taxes are one way that schools budgets are financed. Property taxes are based upon the valuation of a home. BC home values are the highest in Canada.

Funny... http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/housing-canada/

Source: Canadian Real Estate Association

Regardless, that would (partially) explain us having a per student funding rate higher than those two (most comparable) provinces (not accounting for their larger populations or economies, different tax structures etc).

I never denied and in fact agreed the government has acted like douche-nozzles to combat the BCTF. I know exactly "how" we got here. What YOU should be asking is why?

Because the Premier at the time was arrested for drunk driving in Hawaii?

Because Christy Clark is just like what Karl called his wife Dottie in the movie Armageddon?

Seriously, yes, you have asked the correct question.

Why are we here?

Because the Premier at the time was arrested for drunk driving in Hawaii?

Because Christy Clark is just like what Karl called his wife Dottie in the movie Armageddon?

Seriously, yes, you have asked the correct question.

Why are we here?

Really? :picard::rolleyes: If you actually believe the reason the government is playing hardball with the BCTF is because of a DUI in Hawaii and that "they're just big meanies" picking on the BCTF... my goodness I feel sorry for you.

Really? :picard::rolleyes: If you actually believe the reason the government is playing hardball with the BCTF is because of a DUI in Hawaii and that "they're just big meanies" picking on the BCTF... my goodness I feel sorry for you.

Umnnnn...that was sarcasm...the next line was where I got "Serious". :emot-parrot:

Umnnnn...that was sarcasm...the next line was where I got "Serious". :emot-parrot:

And I've seriously already answered that question about 10 times in this thread with Ron throwing in his 2¢ as well as to "why" the government is playing hardball?

It's not because they're "mean" or because they "hate" teachers/students...

Archived