The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Anyone have VIP access to Corey Pronman's draft/reports? :P

If the so called top 5 is gone I'm thinking Ehlers/Kapanen/Virtanen in this order on our scouts' list but :/

MDC may drop still. Ehlers won't go any further than 8th. Shanahan likes a high risk high reward pick like him

Anyone have VIP access to Corey Pronman's draft/reports? :P

If the so called top 5 is gone I'm thinking Ehlers/Kapanen/Virtanen in this order on our scouts' list but :/

MDC may drop still. Ehlers won't go any further than 8th. Shanahan likes a high risk high reward pick like him

Pronman has never been to Canada to watch a CHL game.

Why do you care what he speculates/regurgitates?

The Q was a different league 6 or 7 years ago let alone 10 years ago and beyond, comparing from over 10 years ago really doesn't hold a ton of weight, the league has only improved over time. So I don't think its a fair comparison where there were numours kids putting up 100+ every year. Its alot more rare for draft eligible kids to do it nowadays.

It doesn't mean everything, but it most certainly means something, and that is that he has elite skill. And with him, again, I think part of the reason he isn't grouped in with that top 5 is because it was his first year in the CHL as that article that had been posted earlier mentioned. It raised a pretty good point.

As for Mackinnon he played 44 games did he not? With a PPG that would have had him over 100 pts? So I think the point needs further context.

I'm not disagreeing with your stance on the whole thing (this pick and everything else you've said in the thread for the most part)

But what alot of people are doing, and not just about Ehlers, about all the prospects, is making things up that are incorrect to devalue them as players/prospects.

I think the think with Ehlers is, he has a willingness to play a two-way game, and with his speed (a big asset on the backcheck & getting into the play) I don't really think its anything to worry much about, especially considering he's a top PKer for Halifax so he's getting the opportunity to improve and its not like he's terrible in that area,

As for Nylander I basically agree on your assessment, I just see a bit more risk in him than you do which is why he isn't my preferred choice. I think he's a raw talent with outstanding tools, but there are some things that cause me to worry, and I really think we need to get a player with this pick, and can't afford to shoot a blank. Not that I am writing off Nylander entirely because even if he doesn't hit his potential I still think he could be an Ales Hemsky type of top 6 forward, but out of the players around the pick I think he carries the most risk.

I also completely disagree with the notion of character issues, with him. I think its largely overblown.

Him falling to ous is my dream scenario for the #6 pick.

He's 181, not too bad for a kid that just turned 18 two weeks ago.

These guys have been told all this 30 pages ago. The list is 100 point plus players since the lock out. Now after all this time they claim they forgot and cry foul ? Its childish nonsense.

The point totals players got in the 80s and 90 s would be tough to try to compare to the game today regardless of the new CBA.

However, there is an important distinction about this time period. The CBA changed and you can slide your prospects entry level contract if you keep him in junior. The level of competition has gone up dramatically since the lock out because far more quality over agers stay in the system as opposed to hit the AHL . The stats confirm that it has become increasingly difficult to achieve the milestone 100 plus points in your draft year.

Is it the end all be all? No. Is it information worth something? Of course it is.

The last 10 years can be applied to the OHL and the WHL as well. There is a curious case of the OHL where for a couple of years after the lock out there is still a generous supply of 100 plus point guys, but again most of them are over agers, not draft year 100 pointers.

Cherry picking is a concept where you pick out information with no discernible objective backdrop that seems objective one person in particular. Taking stats since the lockout are equally applied to every candidate and are as objective a stats as any.

The real question becomes why do they WANT to cry foul ?

When you look at the posts, all you see is attempts to be negative. If you step back and look at what is really going on, its not a process of upholding their own prospect. That process ended a long while ago. What has transpired since then is a never ending campaign to knock Ehlers down to make the other prospects look better.

There is no value in it and it has nothing to do with the prospects. It is about the posters personal wishes.

Usually, what happens on hockey forums is eventually the debate has been hashed out , and most move on. The only people left are the ones who feel unsatisfied and wish to continue arguing . Since the actual substance has long since been talked out, the only argument left is to prove one poster or a group of posters wrong . One can feel a sense of spite and frustration coming from these people.

The last real talking point about Ehlers has nothing to do with the prospect. It has to to with having Shinkaruk as well. I find it a non starter. You draft the best player available. If the prospects avail are equal as talents, then you can order to suit specific needs.

We are drafting for our future. Not some guy to step up into the line up right now or next year. The team we have now is going to be half gone by time that prospect is ready to contribute in 3-4 years.

One guy to watch at the Memorial Cup is Robby Fabbri.

Slightly small, but has a lot of Skinner/Krejci in his game. 28 points in 16 playoff games tells me all I need to know about him being able to play in the NHL.

Personally, I try and trade up for Reinhart or move back to 9 or 10 and take Fabbri or Fleury. I believe they are both going to be as good as whoever is there at 6.

Slightly small, but has a lot of Skinner/Krejci in his game. 28 points in 16 playoff games tells me all I need to know about him being able to play in the NHL.

Personally, I try and trade up for Reinhart or move back to 9 or 10 and take Fabbri or Fleury. I believe they are both going to be as good as whoever is there at 6.

He is feisty and he is a slickster. I dont buy the #8 ranking but I do think he will be a solid second line center if he develops properly. If I wanted him I would trade down to 12 or 13

Uh-huh.

Still don't see the Ahl factor being valid.

Fine. Dispute that without talking trash about a teenage kid you've never met and hardly ever see play.

I was saying it would be just that it could be a factor if they decided to got that route this year OR next. I didn't think Ristolainen would stick either but he did. In fact, there is a greater trend for under 20s to come over and play in the A. That never used to happen.

Highly doubt a 17-18yr old kid would be better served going to the AHL rather than just stay in europe for awhile.

This is how entitled drama queens become disgruntled drama queens.

I disagree. In Europe they would likely play in a men's league and get limited ice time. At least in the AHL you have more control over playing time, as well it's a slightly better league with a more NHL-like schedule.

If they do struggle, I would look at trying to convince them to play in the CHL the second half of the year.

He is feisty and he is a slickster. I dont buy the #8 ranking but I do think he will be a solid second line center if he develops properly. If I wanted him I would trade down to 12 or 13

I'm not sure you get him there. I think he goes at 9/10. Someone will reach for him ala Skinner.

Agreed. Too many people on these boards have no idea what they are talking about, and just looking at the projections without doing watching games or knowing anything.

If there is going to be a steal in the draft, it's Robby Fabbri. People think his size is a concern, but he has the tenacity and work ethic to overcome all of that. Thinks the game extremely well at fast speeds, and is also fast. This kid, is the biggest sleeper in the draft.

Absolutely phenomenal performance in the playoffs too, he's a winner.

Instead, guys want)

Ritchie, who has injury problems against junior players despite his physical positives

Nylander, who is a puck hog and doesn't use his teammates.

Ehlers, whos a north and south guy, excellent speed, who's perhaps missing the toolbox.

Draisatl and or/Perlini, who can't skate

Virtanen, missing a brain.

Watch the final rankings. Fabbri should be a riser for most, if not all ratings. People are realizing his size isn't an issue anymore. Not with the intensity, and work ethic he has.

^Don't forget Virtanen

I honestly think Detriot will probably pick up Fabbri if his available.

I really want the Canucks to draft Virtanen, he's a fast, physical player, with a boomer of a shot and would probably fit well on the 2nd line even if he doesn't fully develop. At worst he's probably a 2nd/3rd twiner because he's physical enough to be a 3rd line grinder but not skilled enough (right now) to be a second liner.

Agreed. Too many people on these boards have no idea what they are talking about, and just looking at the projections without doing watching games or knowing anything.If there is going to be a steal in the draft, it's Robby Fabbri. People think his size is a concern, but he has the tenacity and work ethic to overcome all of that. Thinks the game extremely well at fast speeds, and is also fast. This kid, is the biggest sleeper in the draft.Absolutely phenomenal performance in the playoffs too, he's a winner.Instead, guys want)Ritchie, who has injury problems against junior players despite his physical positivesNylander, who is a puck hog and doesn't use his teammates.Ehlers, whos a north and south guy, excellent speed, who's perhaps missing the toolbox.Draisatl and or/Perlini, who can't skateVirtanen, missing a brain.Watch the final rankings. Fabbri should be a riser for most, if not all ratings. People are realizing his size isn't an issue anymore. Not with the intensity, and work ethic he has.

Disagree with yoh on nylander. Scouts who get payed to watch ever player and creat player reports have said for the most part that nylander makes everyone on his line better. How can he do that by being a puck hog? Where did your info of him being a puck hog come from? He has made some pretty amazing passing plays in his hockey career. Uses his linemates way more than kesler does.

^Don't forget Virtanen

I honestly think Detriot will probably pick up Fabbri if his available.

I really want the Canucks to draft Virtanen, he's a fast, physical player, with a boomer of a shot and would probably fit well on the 2nd line even if he doesn't fully develop. At worst he's probably a 2nd/3rd twiner because he's physical enough to be a 3rd line grinder but not skilled enough (right now) to be a second liner.

We will take the bpa which more than likely will not be him. No offense to him. Just rankings wise will be passed on.

Disagree with yoh on nylander. Scouts who get payed to watch ever player and creat player reports have said for the most part that nylander makes everyone on his line better. How can he do that by being a puck hog? Where did your info of him being a puck hog come from? He has made some pretty amazing passing plays in his hockey career. Uses his linemates way more than kesler does.

This is incorrect. He plays exactly like his line mate, and is compared to his line mate. Kirril Kabanov. The guy was thought to be Mini-Ovechkin at his draft.

William Nylander, based on skill alone should be the first overall pick. He's the most talented player in the draft, but the reason he isn't high is because he is selfish. Watch him play, he doesn't use his teammates and tries to do everything himself.

Plus, his work ethic is questionable. He has a kids body.

Archived