The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nice contradiction.

Hey, you don't have to listen to me. Your the one getting all defensive. Why is the most skilled player, not the consensus top overall over B type prospects?

Twice already in our discussion, you have decided to harass me because of your lack of knowledge, and both times you've had to change the topic because of it. That's not a proper way to talk hockey.

No. I'm not taking your bait.

I was always challenging you on your claim that he doesn't work out and is lazy. Your unsubstantiated claim.

Why is he not 1st overall? Because he isn't playing in NA and is slight of build. His defensive game isn't polished. It's not a secret.

It's not a contradiction. It's 3 years of international tournaments playing his best hockey. It's 3 years of being the best on his team for his age group. That's consistency, IMO. I said it was fine that you had your own opinion of his play. But being inconsistent is not the same as being lazy, it's called learning to be a professional athlete. It's the rule not the exception for junior aged players. Shift to shift? Sure, most guys need to work on that.

Edit: In every single one of my posts I was talking about Nylander and brining your comparison to Kabanov back to that.

Here's his top 10.

1 Aaron Ekblad D Barrie OHL

2 Sam Bennett C Kingston OHL

3 William Nylander RW Modo SHL

4 Sam Reinhart C Kootenay WHL

5 Nikolaj Ehlers LW Halifax QMJHL

6 Kevin Fiala LW HV71 SHL

7 Leon Draisaitl C Prince Albert WHL

8 Michael Dal Colle LW Oshawa OHL

9 Kasperi Kapanen RW KalPa Liiga

10 Haydn Fleury D Red Deer WHL

He sometimes, shows up on hfboard to answer questions. so, if anyone wants to ask him anything, maybe you go to pronman thread.

Here's his top 10.

1 Aaron Ekblad D Barrie OHL

2 Sam Bennett C Kingston OHL

3 William Nylander RW Modo SHL

4 Sam Reinhart C Kootenay WHL

5 Nikolaj Ehlers LW Halifax QMJHL

6 Kevin Fiala LW HV71 SHL

7 Leon Draisaitl C Prince Albert WHL

8 Michael Dal Colle LW Oshawa OHL

9 Kasperi Kapanen RW KalPa Liiga

10 Haydn Fleury D Red Deer WHL

He sometimes, shows up on hfboard to answer questions. so, if anyone wants to ask him anything, maybe you go to pronman thread.

Actually, his 30 is on this site:

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings/

I don't care who the Canuck picks, but if somehow Michael Dal Colle falls to 6th. I think, that'll probably be the best possible scenario at the draft for the canucks. everyone else, i'm really meh about

Truth is there's nothing that puts Nylander in the top-5 unless you're reaching. International tournaments mean squat if the guy vanishes against NA competition.

He may turn into a decent small skilled player somewhere, but I think Canucks fans are tired of this approach being taken by the team. Esp. if this guy has similarities to Coho in terms of daddy's micromanagement.

Nothing wrong with pointing this concern out, imho.

Truth is there's nothing that puts Nylander in the top-5 unless you're reaching. International tournaments mean squat if the guy vanishes against NA competition.

He may turn into a decent small skilled player somewhere, but I think Canucks fans are tired of this approach being taken by the team. Esp. if this guy has similarities to Coho in terms of daddy's micromanagement.

Nothing wrong with pointing this concern out, imho.

There is nothing wrong with questioning if he can translate his game to NA ice against NA players.

There is something wrong with questioning if he has daddy issues because of a single USA Today article.

There is nothing wrong with questioning if he can translate his game to NA ice against NA players.

There is something wrong with questioning if he has daddy issues because of a single USA Today article.

How so? I believe a local reporter cited the same issues and said the Canucks are taking them seriously enough to pass on him. Don't remember the reporter's name though or how seriously I would take that.

Thinking a silver spoon kid like Nylander, nor his dad, would take too kindly to years spent in Utica. But I guess Coho spent some time in the A. So there's that. *cough*

How so? I believe a local reporter cited the same issues and said the Canucks are taking them seriously enough to pass on him. Don't remember the reporter's name though or how seriously I would take that.

Thinking a silver spoon kid like Nylander, nor his dad, would take too kindly to years spent in Utica. But I guess Coho spent some time in the A. So there's that. *cough*

That may or may not be true. I have no idea. They may not get a chance to pass on him and I hope the reporter would follow that report up if they do take him.

Extrapolating. Guessing.

Thanks for the list Derp. I see Nylander is now ranked #3. A little too rich for my blood but its good to see he is being taken seriously again. He is a major talent.

Unfortunately I am not an insider so I cant see the full list. Can you list the top 15 for us? :)

edit ; ooops. I see others have already.

I think Dal Colle Draisaitl are too low , Nylander too high and this Fiala guy would be 'off board' to go in the top 10.

For me its

Ekblad

Reinhart

Bennett

Dal Colle

Draisaitl

Ehlers

Nylander

Ritchie

Virtanen

Kapanen.

You are a tad slow. Read the post above, November 09, Kabanov is rated 4th. There's your article.

I don't care about looking silly. I'm here to talk, what i feel about the player, from what I've seen and my opinion only. Too many articles overhype prospects during draft time, they rarely say anything negative about any player until after the draft.

Gave you a plus 1 for this. We could use more honesty like this on here. :)

That may or may not be true. I have no idea. They may not get a chance to pass on him and I hope the reporter would follow that report up if they do take him.

Extrapolating. Guessing.

I'm definitely all for reporters making stuff up as usual, but in this case why? Most sources are busy trumpeting the skill and potential up all these kids at this point. The negative spin on one kid in particular isn't the norm. Although, it's been background noise thus far.

I think there's probably something there though. And the Canucks, having recently gone through the Coho saga, would be the first team to shy away from this potential issue.

For some perspective, here are Hockey Prospectus' 2013 and 2012 final draft rankings

1. Jonathan Drouin, Left Wing, Halifax-QMJHL*
2. Nathan MacKinnon, Center, Halifax-QMJHL*
3. Seth Jones, Defense, Portland-WHL*
4. Valeri Nichushkin, Right Wing, Traktor-KHL*
5. Aleksander Barkov, Center, Tappara-SM-Liiga*

6. Elias Lindholm, Center, Brynas-SEL*
7. Sean Monahan, Center, Ottawa-OHL*
8. Rasmus Ristolainen, Defense, TPS-SM-Liiga*

9. Max Domi, Center, London-OHL*

10. Hunter Shinkaruk, Center, Medicine Hat-WHL*

11. Darnell Nurse, Defense, Sault Ste. Marie-OHL*

12. Ryan Pulock, Defense, Brandon-WHL*
13. Andre Burakowsky, Left Wing, Malmo-Allsvenskan*
14. Bo Horvat, Center, London-OHL*
15. Alexander Wennberg, Center, Djurgardens-Allsvenskan*

16. Nikita Zadorov, Defense, London-OHL*
17. Pavel Buchnevich, Left Wing, Severstal-KHL*
18. Adam Erne, Left Wing, Quebec-QMJHL*
19. Valentin Zykov, Right Wing, Baie-Comeau-QMJHL*
20. Josh Morrissey, Defense, Prince Albert-WHL*

1. Nail Yakupov, Left Wing, Sarnia-OHL*
2. Mikhail Grigorenko, Center, Quebec-QMJHL*
3. Alexander Galchenyuk, Center, Sarnia-OHL*
4. Filip Forsberg, Right Wing, Leksands-Allsvenskan*
5. Teuvo Teravainen, Left Wing, Jokerit-SM-Liiga*

6. Matt Dumba, Defense, Red Deer-WHL*
7. Morgan Rielly, Defense, Moose Jaw-WHL*
8. Ryan Murray, Defense, Everett-WHL*
9. Pontus Aberg, Left Wing, Djurgarden-SEL*
10. Radek Faksa, Center, Kitchener-OHL*

11. Sebastian Collberg, Right Wing, Frolunda-SEL*

12. Jacob Trouba, Defense, USA Under-18 National Team-USHL*
13. Cody Ceci, Defense, Ottawa-OHL*
14. Zemgus Girgensons, Center, Dubuque-USHL*
15. Griffin Reinhart, Defense, Edmonton-WHL*

16. Hampus Lindholm, Defense, Rogle-Allsvenskan*
17. Anton Slepyshev, Left Wing, Novokuznetsk-KHL*
18. Tomas Hertl, Center, HC Slavia Praha-Czech Extraliga*
19. Matt Finn, Defense, Guelph-OHL*
20. Ludvig Bystrom, Defense, MODO-SEL*

Agreed. Too many people on these boards have no idea what they are talking about, and just looking at the projections without doing watching games or knowing anything.

If there is going to be a steal in the draft, it's Robby Fabbri. People think his size is a concern, but he has the tenacity and work ethic to overcome all of that. Thinks the game extremely well at fast speeds, and is also fast. This kid, is the biggest sleeper in the draft.

Absolutely phenomenal performance in the playoffs too, he's a winner.

Instead, guys want)

Ritchie, who has injury problems against junior players despite his physical positives

Nylander, who is a puck hog and doesn't use his teammates.

Ehlers, whos a north and south guy, excellent speed, who's perhaps missing the toolbox.

Draisatl and or/Perlini, who can't skate

Virtanen, missing a brain.

Watch the final rankings. Fabbri should be a riser for most, if not all ratings. People are realizing his size isn't an issue anymore. Not with the intensity, and work ethic he has.

Seems like you might be one of them.

Some points to consider

Ritchie: Many players suffer injuries through juniors.

Nylander: Playing on bigger ice, compared to NHL(100ft to 85ft), means more time to see the play/hold on to the puck.

Perlini: Actually is a great, smooth skater.

Virtanen: You cannot be alive, let alone play hockey, without a brain.

Agreed. Too many people on these boards have no idea what they are talking about, and just looking at the projections without doing watching games or knowing anything.

Instead, guys want)

Ritchie, who has injury problems against junior players despite his physical positives

Nylander, who is a puck hog and doesn't use his teammates.

Ehlers, whos a north and south guy, excellent speed, who's perhaps missing the toolbox.

Draisatl and or/Perlini, who can't skate

Virtanen, missing a brain.

Watch the final rankings. Fabbri should be a riser for most, if not all ratings. People are realizing his size isn't an issue anymore. Not with the intensity, and work ethic he has.

Your post is hyperbole with a couple of personal shots at the other members for good measure.

It reveals nothing about Fabbri or the other prospects.

Nice contradiction.

Hey, you don't have to listen to me. Your the one getting all defensive. Why is the most skilled player, not the consensus top overall over B type prospects?

Twice already in our discussion, you have decided to harass me because of your lack of knowledge, and both times you've had to change the topic because of it. That's not a proper way to talk hockey.

If you don't agree that he tends to hold the puck for too long, then we are finished. You truly, never watched him play, if you argue with that.

reading is key. He said it's fine if you think Nylander is consistent but from what theminister saw, he was one of the most consistent

The most skilled is not necessarily the best. He has holes in his game but in terms of pure skill, it's hard to argue

Who would you guys rather have drop, Dal Colle or Draisaitl?

For me personally I would want Draisaitl. He reminds of Kopitar in the way he uses his body to protect the puck. He carried his team offensively this season with 105 points in 64 games with the second best forward on his team who is an over-ager having only 72 points in 71 games.

Archived