The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

UAE Islamic affairs authority warns Muslims against a mission to Mars

Jaimito

I was pointing out that Nasa has a knack for saying and setting deadlines, and budgets, and they are just totally wrong. Because of this Nasa has had huge budget cuts and really is even further behind schedule on all these new space shuttles, telescopes, engines etc.

Now if you want me to point on the reasons why its not possible to make it to Mars and have a good survival rate then okay I will.

The biggest problem why we can't go to Mars is radiation when you go into space you are no longer protected, by the Earth's magnetic field, from copious amounts of radiation from the Sun or other stars are constantly emitting. So if you just sent a space shuttle full of people to Mars they would be dead from radiation poisoning long before they ever arrived. How is this remedied? We need to create some sort of magnetic force field, similar to what the earth has, to block the radiation from the sun. If it was easy to do we would have already created it.

When Astronauts are in space and there is a solar storm they are sent into a lead cased room with like lead blankets just so they don't die and this is still them being partially protected by the earths magnetic field.

You need shields for more than radiation too little pieces of dust travelling thousands of km's per second can easily destroy a shuttle.

Then there is gravity which doesn't exist in space so we need to create artificial gravity lots of theories out there how it can be done but until its been created and works means absolutely nothing. If you don't have gravity your muscles are just going to slowly deteriorate into nothing.

There are simpler things like growing your own food because you won't be able to bring enough food with you in order to survive in space for long periods of time. How will radiation effect the growth of food what happens if the food doesn't grow etc etc etc

Space travel is not easy everything wants to kill you. This isn't like early explorers where they went off on there ships to discover new lands this is like if you go travel in space you are going to die.

I'm sure engineers are already working on ways to solve the problems you mentioned. For example astronauts do excercise in space to keep their muscles from wasting.

Also, I believe it's a private organization planning this Mars trip, not NASA.

Especially when you aren't smart enough to understand it. All muslims are not suicide bombers, but most suicide bombers are muslims.

You might be correct as far as the past decade but from 1980-2000 most suicide attacks throughout the world were carried out by the Tamil Tigers of Sri Lanka.

Not to mention that this tactic is not new and goes back to the Japanese in WWII and the Indian Chera's going back to the 11th century.

Should just ship the Muslims and their eleventy billion fatwas off to Mars anyways.

And the christians and their 11ty billion child molesting priests and their 22 billion reasons why it's ok. And the catholics and their 30 billion reasons why everyone else is a heathen

Good plan, less organized religion less arguments

...and then you can piss and moan about the religious folks being the cause of all violence when they resist your mass extermination plans right.

Not all men are rapists but most rapists are men so all men must be taught to not rape

Send all men to Mars so they rape each other to extinction, we don't need that crap on Earth. Obsolete backwards people. Who needs them when there's artificial insemination anyways?

Sounds like the perfect antithesis to "be fruitful and multiply"!

He is a brilliant scientist but history (along with translating historical Arabic) are definitely not his strong suits.

What he says regarding Ghazali and mathematics and the decline of science for example is complete falsehood and it is rather unfortunate. He is doing to Ghazali's work almost precisely what he falsely accuses Ghazali of doing!

It was actually rather irresponsible of him but perhaps because of his fame and superior intellect in the field of certain sciences, along with general or willful ignorance of others, he seems to get a pass.

You have some major malfunction if that's what you read in the above post. The subject is "suicide bombers" not "all Muslims" ya dingus.

Here we go with the personal attacks. You forgot to mention about my roommate in your post.

Whether its "suicide bombers" or "all Muslims" is not the point. The point am making is that as soon as someone mentions the word muslim, some other people think about suicide bombers like it is synonymous.

What will be your next reply to this post? Am retarded? paraplegic? Cancer patient? idiot?

Especially when you aren't smart enough to understand it. All muslims are not suicide bombers, but most suicide bombers are muslims.

Really? Could you elaborate?

All Christians aren't pedophiles but most pedophiles are Christian. I can do that too.

Most White people aren't racists but most racists are white people.

There...should I go on.

I really don't consider people who kill others and themselves as real Muslims. But I guess am not "smart enough" to understand ignorant comments.

• 2 weeks later...

Fundamental problem with this is that most scientists disregard religion entirely when it comes to scientific discovery. So what difference does this fatwa make when muslim scientists disregard them all when chosing to embark on this mission? The muslims being affected here are the ones who would never be interested in going to mars in the first place. And this would apply to scientists of any faith. Their first faith would be science.

Archived