The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Questions regarding Jim Benning

If he had anything to do with the Seguin trade I would count that as a strike against him, unless he's the guy who said if your going to do this get Reilly Smith. Getting Smith before he established himself was a brilliant move, trading Sequin not so much.

I think moving Seguin was an Owner initiated move, as he had 'embarrassed' the Organization? .. trade worked for both teams, but Dallas got the best player

If he had anything to do with the Seguin trade I would count that as a strike against him, unless he's the guy who said if your going to do this get Reilly Smith. Getting Smith before he established himself was a brilliant move, trading Sequin not so much.

Nope, he never. Can see it all here, it's a piece on Behind the B and shows the process of why they traded him:

http://video.bruins.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=443574

Bruins management was sitting down and when they lost Horton to free agency, they wanted to make a move. Benning didn't say a word about Seguin but Cam Neely (pres), Peter Chiarelli (gm), Scott Bradley (player personnel director), and a few others basically wanted to trade Seguin because they were impatient with him.

Basically blamed the finals loss on Tyler and said if he produced just x amount more they would've won and they made a knee-jerk move and it cost them big tim. Glad Jenning wasn't one who spoke out and said trade him and it's a good sign for us if we get him. Bruins management must be kicking themselves seeing how well Seguin has become with all due respect to Smith and Eriksson who's had a bad year but injuries were a part of it.

I think moving Seguin was an Owner initiated move, as he had 'embarrassed' the Organization? .. trade worked for both teams, but Dallas got the best player

Watch the video I posted above.

Nope, he never. Can see it all here, it's a piece on Behind the B and shows the process of why they traded him:

http://video.bruins.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=443574

Bruins management was sitting down and when they lost Horton to free agency, they wanted to make a move. Benning didn't say a word about Seguin but Cam Neely (pres), Peter Chiarelli (gm), Scott Bradley (player personnel director), and a few others basically wanted to trade Seguin because they were impatient with him.

Basically blamed the finals loss on Tyler and said if he produced just x amount more they would've won and they made a knee-jerk move and it cost them big tim. Glad Jenning wasn't one who spoke out and said trade him and it's a good sign for us if we get him. Bruins management must be kicking themselves seeing how well Seguin has become with all due respect to Smith and Eriksson who's had a bad year but injuries were a part of it.

Actually he did.

Benning was onboard for moving him because he didn't fit what the management team wanted to do with their playing style. If the GM is leaning towards moving him then it's his job to support making the right move. He's right that Seguin would never play like a Bruin. He's also the guy that said they weren't 'babysitting'.'To me that's indicative that he isn't going to accept off-ice issues or allow players to not commit to being professionals.

That trade was a very astute move IMHO based on the cap issues involved. The proof is certainly in the pudding right now as Boston hasn't missed a beat even with Eriksson banged up for most of the year. Smith was a good addition to their squad but Joe Morrow might wind up being an even bigger piece down the road.

Me too .. special occasions .. nothin' special about the Bruins .. thanks for sharing tho ..

I would share a glass if I could, my friend. I would if I could.

I won't be celebrating much at all this playoffs. Not much to cheer for, honestly. At least not making the playoffs has allowed me to mentally prepare for the offseason rather than having it unceremoniously dumped in my lap after a 1st round knockout.

It's actually not a bad consolation at this point to be able to see the coming changes over the next few months. It's certainly interesting and makes for more heated discussion than waiting till next season as completely status quo.

Here's the info I dug up yesterday.

Jim Benning.

• Played for the Canucks from 1986 to 1990 (with Linden for a couple of those years FWIW)
  • Head of Scouting for Buffalo 1998 to 2004
  • Hired as Assitant GM of the Bruins in 2006

Benning will have some ties with the league power brokers from his years in Buffalo but more so Boston, has experience and has an EXCELLENT eye for drafting.

He's also from Western Canada and played not only for the Canucks but with Trevor.

I don't know how anyone could be a better fit honestly.

Found this on a Sabres forum yesterday while looking up info:

http://sabrenoise.com/2014/01/07/jim-benning-right-guy-sabres-gm-job/

I would share a glass if I could, my friend. I would if I could.

I won't be celebrating much at all this playoffs. Not much to cheer for, honestly. At least not making the playoffs has allowed me to mentally prepare for the offseason rather than having it unceremoniously dumped in my lap after a 1st round knockout.

It's actually not a bad consolation at this point to be able to see the coming changes over the next few months. It's certainly interesting and makes for more heated discussion than waiting till next season as completely status quo.

I will watch most of the playoffs and probably enjoy a year where I don't feel every little disappointment as 'we' struggle and fade. I wanted Gillis to have one more year .. Linden as President would be fine to take away that part of his workload and refresh the image. Apparently Gillis was the reason Linden avoided the Canucks the last six years .. not sure the source but it seemed common knowledge?

Now, I am all for us re-tooling with a purpose and vision of how we WILL succeed in our Division .. altered core and an 'all as one' attitude from top to bottom could really turn this around. The idea of Pat Quinn standing behind Trevor and reaching down to squeeze his shoulder and smile .. now that is a picture I would cherish. Optimism is the only way forward.

^ We can forge his signature now at least!

EDIT: but JR posted a piece from Buffalo in one of the other threads. Didn't really have much detail, but outlined the time he spent in Buffalo and Boston in general. I don't know that I can say either team did exceptionally well with their draft picks (it's not hard to draft Seguin with the #2 overall for instance) but they certainly didn't seem to do badly at all.

Lucic at 50th and Marchand at 71st to name a few, is pretty darn good I'd say

Archived