The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Draft Virtanen!

1SportsLover1

I don't buy the undersized argument anymore. Gallagher and Zuccarello are undersized (even more so than ehlers) yet are amazing players nonetheless. Ehlers plays a big game and is willing to battle for the puck. He's a very feisty player. Versatility is probably the most important aspect to compare, and other than playing a north/south game, Virtanen can't do much else. I'd also consider Ehlers just as good a goal scorer if not better considering he scored more goals in less games.

I see Virtanen's ceiling as Booth pre Richards head shot. A 60 point guy which isn't bad, but I'd rather take a shot at a guy who could be a point a game type player. He Reminds me a lot of Giroux.

Any 160-170 players in the west? I always see people bring up Gallagher and St Louis and people like that but most play out east.

Raymond soft on the puck is now out east. Shroeder, soft on the puck can 't find a slot anywhere on this team. Grabner, found his game out east. It's hard comparing 2 players with different styles in different leagues.

I think Virtanen is more tuned to the Western grind then Ehlers is. And their pros and cons have them even in my mind. Virtanen under a good leader can be taught to move the puck better. Ehlers scored a ton of goals in the Q but most people do in the Q. Hard to compare goal scoring abilities.

Virtanen is a true power forward and is a straight up and down, score off the rush player. The defensemen in the NHL are much stronger and trucking through everybody will be much more of a challenge.

The one thing I question with Virtanen is his vision and hockey sense. Nothing worse than a player who as all the tools but skates like a bull with his head down, never looking up (Aka. David Booth), which is my worst fear with him.

He is a speedster though, which makes up for some of it. But speed and strength alone won't help a ton with in-zone offence.

Until I'm shown Virtanen has good vision and hockey sense, I have Ehlers and maybe even Nylander above him.

Speed is a wash, so i'm not going to compare, it's like telling me Scott Neidermayer is a faster skater then Pavel Bure.

Shot is a wash too, both are deadly goal scorers, however Ehlers is more inflated playing in the QMJHL with Drouin, meanwhile Virtannen had average agers helping him, one heck of wrist shot. Kinda of a wash.

Virtannen is currently 6'1 210

Ehlers is 5'11 162

Advantage Virtannan on size.

physical player,

Advantage to Virtannen again, who plays a hitting game,

Play making wise,

I will give this one to Ehlers

Defensive play

both are sound defensive players. Virtannan gets the edge due to his hard back checking abilities.

I pretty much summed up why Virtannen should be drafted ahead of Ehlers,

He has size advantage, physical dominance, and a better defensive game mean while Ehlers is more offensivley oriented. He is a fast play making winger who can score goals, but is vastly under sized,

Virtannen is also an offensive player, who can play an offensive game, more known for scoring goals, (scoring goals is the most important form of offence) and he probably does that better then Ehlers, factor in better physical play, strong defensive back checking game, and an additional point goes to Virtannen for having great skating, and big body.

Jake Virtannen is our man

You forgot Richie in the equation

Richie is currently 6'3 235

Ehlers is 5'11 162

Advantage Richie on size.

physical player,

Advantage to Richie again, who plays a HARD hitting game, and loves to fight

Play making wise,

I will give this one to Richie, sees the ice well and a great passer

Defensive play

both are sound defensive players. Richie gets the edge due to his hard back checking abilities and ability to read the play

Richie has speed, size advantage, physical dominance, and the best defensive and offensive game

Richie is also an offensive player, who can play a very offensive game, better known for scoring goals, and has the best shot out of these three

But Leon Draisatl is our man, he is the most likely to drop from the top 5, although some scouts would still take Richie.

Cheers :)

You forgot Richie in the equation

Richie is currently 6'3 235

Ehlers is 5'11 162

Advantage Richie on size.

physical player,

Advantage to Richie again, who plays a HARD hitting game, and loves to fight

Play making wise,

I will give this one to Richie, sees the ice well and a great passer

Defensive play

both are sound defensive players. Richie gets the edge due to his hard back checking abilities and ability to read the play

Richie has speed, size advantage, physical dominance, and the best defensive and offensive game

Richie is also an offensive player, who can play a very offensive game, better known for scoring goals, and has the best shot out of these three

But Leon Draisatl is our man, he is the most likely to drop from the top 5, although some scouts would still take Richie.

You have updated sizes for Ritchie and Virtanen but not Ehlers. You have the same listed size as he was when he stepped off the plane from Denmark almost a year ago.

He is now 5ft 11 1/2 and 176 .

Physical play - Ritchie, Virtanen >>>>>>>>>>>> Ehlers

Sees the ice - Ehlers >>>>>Ritchie >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Virtanen.

Defensively -Ehlers , Ritchie, Virtanen

Offensively Ehlers>>>>Ritchie Virtanen

Focus and Drive Virtanen , Ehlers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ritchie

Nothing wrong with your Ritchie cheerleading but we need to be fair to the other candidates.

You have updated sizes for Ritchie and Virtanen but not Ehlers. You have the same listed size as he was when he stepped off the plane from Denmark almost a year ago.

Focus and Drive Virtanen , Ehlers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ritchie

Nothing wrong with your Ritchie cheerleading but we need to be fair to the other candidates.

actually I assumed MoneypuckOverlord was correct and quoted his stats for Virtanen and Ehlers and added Ritchies

I see you are in the Ehlers camp but we most likely to end up with Leon Draisaitl or Michael Dal Colle drafts never go as expected and one of them is likely to drop, if they don't we will take Ritchie, our scouts are pretty smart.

I'd say they are quite even offensively, seeing as you seperated "see's the ice" from offensive. Maybe even give a slight edge to Ehlers, not >>>> though.

Not comparing point totals but just ability to score with their skill sets. They all do it extremely effectively, except I heard Ritchie has consistency issues but if he's fighting and being physical that makes up for it.

Any 160-170 players in the west? I always see people bring up Gallagher and St Louis and people like that but most play out east.

Raymond soft on the puck is now out east. Shroeder, soft on the puck can 't find a slot anywhere on this team. Grabner, found his game out east. It's hard comparing 2 players with different styles in different leagues.

I think Virtanen is more tuned to the Western grind then Ehlers is. And their pros and cons have them even in my mind. Virtanen under a good leader can be taught to move the puck better. Ehlers scored a ton of goals in the Q but most people do in the Q. Hard to compare goal scoring abilities.

Dude he's obviously not going to make the nhl in his first year. Once he hits 180-190 he'll be fine. And the west vs east argument is pretty stupid. Who knows how it will be in 3-4 years when Ehlers makes the NHL? The big players in the west might all be old and slow like Morrow. And we could very well see a skill transition with guys like Schwartz, Domi, Couture etc.

Dude he's obviously not going to make the nhl in his first year. Once he hits 180-190 he'll be fine. And the west vs east argument is pretty stupid. Who knows how it will be in 3-4 years when Ehlers makes the NHL? The big players in the west might all be old and slow like Morrow. And we could very well see a skill transition with guys like Schwartz, Domi, Couture etc.

It's only stupid because it goes against Ehlers, truth hurts, love stinks.

actually I assumed MoneypuckOverlord was correct and quoted his stats for Virtanen and Ehlers and added Ritchies

I see you are in the Ehlers camp but we most likely to end up with Leon Draisaitl or Michael Dal Colle drafts never go as expected and one of them is likely to drop, if they don't we will take Ritchie, our scouts are pretty smart.

Do you have a source for this?

I'd say they are quite even offensively, seeing as you seperated "see's the ice" from offensive. Maybe even give a slight edge to Ehlers, not >>>> though.

Not comparing point totals but just ability to score with their skill sets. They all do it extremely effectively, except I heard Ritchie has consistency issues but if he's fighting and being physical that makes up for it.

Stopped reading after this.

It's only stupid because it goes against Ehlers, truth hurts, love stinks.

The only problem with that theory is it isnt true. You are lying. Ehlers is already 176 pounds and he just turned 18 years old. If you want to act belligerent then nobody is going to take you seriously.

He is trolling you . He already knows all this.

With Burrows career as a Canuck perhaps coming to an end, we cold use another player like him more than another player like Shinkaruk or Jensen.

But But Burrows is small and undersized, after all only 1 inch and 12 lbs heavier than Ehlers

But But Burrows is small and undersized, after all only 1 inch and 12 lbs heavier than Ehlers

Unless you're daft you're going to notice a completely different player type there. ie. Hitter as opposed to hittee.

Ehlers is still listed at 162lbs by ISS. Far from NHL standards.

Unless you're daft you're going to notice a completely different player type there. ie. Hitter as opposed to hittee.

Ehlers is still listed at 162lbs by ISS. Far from NHL standards.

teravainen was 160 lbs when he got drafted. Now he's 185 lbs. What's your point? There's nothing wrong with getting hit if you're willing to battle for the puck regardless (i.e Gallagher)

teravainen was 160 lbs when he got drafted. Now he's 185 lbs. What's your point? There's nothing wrong with getting hit if you're willing to battle for the puck regardless (i.e Gallagher)

My point remains that the Canucks are going to need an appropiate skillset to replace Burrows, who's career has taken a steep dive.

Ehlers isn't that type of player. Never will be. Virtanen, who's already Nhl weight, is more likely.

But it's a stretch reasoning on my part. With regards to Burrows.

The only problem with that theory is it isnt true. You are lying. Ehlers is already 176 pounds and he just turned 18 years old. If you want to act belligerent then nobody is going to take you seriously.

If it's a theory it's not fact, so it can't be a lie. And the west is tougher then the East. How is Shroeder doing against the California teams? Sure Ehlers is Taller but he gets man handled. Remember Raymond, we all liked that guy huh?

My point remains that the Canucks are going to need an appropiate skillset to replace Burrows, who's career has taken a steep dive.

Ehlers isn't that type of player. Never will be. Virtanen, who's already Nhl weight, is more likely.

But it's a stretch reasoning on my part. With regards to Burrows.

Virtanen doesn't play like Burrows at all. More like Booth with a better shot. Grenier and Horvat will be Similar to Burrows.

Virtanen doesn't play like Burrows at all. More like Booth with a better shot. Grenier and Horvat will be Similar to Burrows.

Virtanen has way better hands than Booth. And Booth looks barely in control of the puck when he has it whereas Virtanen has good control of the puck. His toe drag is better than Kesler's

Archived