The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Torts Fired

Strombone1

I'm scratching my head here wondering why some think that Torts deserved another year. The team massively underperformed with a roster stacked with talent. The coach is accountable for that. And Torts going 'postal' earlier in the season showed what a poor hiring decision this was. When you don't perform changes are needed. You guys need a calm and seasoned coach - the 'in your face' style just doesn't mesh with this club.

You may be right but there are a few here who think it wasn't just his fault. Senior players should be held more accountable, MG did a rubbish job not building on the 2011 season.

It was pretty obvious that Torts was gonna go. Some of us thought that the players had it too easy with AV. Some still do.

A bit of passion wouldn't go amiss from the Sedins. The interviews are robotic, doesn't really help connect with the fans, especially when they go through rough periods.

I'm scratching my head here wondering why some think that Torts deserved another year. The team massively underperformed with a roster stacked with talent. The coach is accountable for that. And Torts going 'postal' earlier in the season showed what a poor hiring decision this was. When you don't perform changes are needed. You guys need a calm and seasoned coach - the 'in your face' style just doesn't mesh with this club.

What team are you talking about because it isn't the Canucks?

Dude, what is the common denominator the last 4 years of the decline? It's the players! When's the last time a coach got fired after 1 year ( not including interim coaches). It just doesn't happen and is a downright d!ck move to appease the ADD induced fans who lack patience.

I still totally blame MG for this mess. People can say his legacy was getting this team one game away from the cup but he inherited huge components of that run.

He messed about with the identity of the team so we have none.

Until injuries hit us in that final we were easily the best team in that series, then he changes the make up of the team to 'get bigger'

When you want to 'get bigger' these players still have to have a great level of skill. He was plugging those fourth lines with rubbish.

Luongo/Schneider situation mess

Manny situation. Mess

No top six linemate for Kes for two years mess

Signing the Sedins on a 7 mil contract mess

Probably a lot more to add but I'm kinda p***ed right now

That calgary game when he left his team to tend to his own personal agenda and they fell on their face afterwards proved to be his undoing i dont think they wanted to take a chance with him being so unprofessional you need to have some control which he didnt. His treatment of players also had to be a factor in this in his last presser he said that this team is old and stale thats totally throwing them under the bus so who would support him after that i know i wouldnt.

When is responsibility going to finally fall on the Twins? Are we going to see Kesler gone and Bieksa gone before they are?

Newflash, the Canucks already are a coaching Carousel.

Why so much hatred for the twins on here? Henrik rarely gets hurt, rarely takes bad penalities, has been a point per game player in the regular season and playoffs numerous times for us what's not to like. Daniel has a string of bad injuries lately but is still an offensive leader on this team. We saw how much teh team needs him when he was hurt for the 2012 LA playoff series. The twins lead the Canucks to the Stanley Cup final and back to back presidents trophy's it wasn't until Torts told them to focus on blocking shots rather than scoring that they really had on off year.

Newsflash, hiring Torts was a massive mistake, Linden is simply fixing that mistake.

The house cleaning continues. I think Torts maybe should have gotten one more year but I am not surprised nor disappointed in this decision. This is the fresh start or the bold moves that Gillis promised but never delivered. Good on Linden for having a pair and realizing the culture and atmosphere needs a new beginning here. Hopefully this goes into the players on the ice as well. This team has been a mess and needs a voice and a direction. Excited to see what happens this off-season. Good luck to Torts, with his fat payout by the Aqua's, in his future endeavors.

So Gulutzan gets a rose but Sully doesn't. It's never been more clear to me what needs to happen next. Trotz needs to be hired and Gulutzan needs to be the Ass. just so I can call them Beauty and the Beast. I mean it with love. I would be happy to have Trotz, I would worry about his defense style but I think he is a top notch man and coach.

Don't rush anything Trev, media trolls like Gallagher will keep shoveling their poop on you no matter what you do. Make the right choices, not the easy ones.

Why so much hatred for the twins on here? Henrik rarely gets hurt, rarely takes bad penalities, has been a point per game player in the regular season and playoffs numerous times for us what's not to like. Daniel has a string of bad injuries lately but is still an offensive leader on this team. We saw how much teh team needs him when he was hurt for the 2012 LA playoff series. The twins lead the Canucks to the Stanley Cup final and back to back presidents trophy's it wasn't until Torts told them to focus on blocking shots rather than scoring that they really had on off year.

Newsflash, hiring Torts was a massive mistake, Linden is simply fixing that mistake.

Can he fix the mistake by MG of giving Daniel 7 mil a season for four years.

Absolutely ridiculous decision. That was him thinking how he could be put on a pedestal by some Canucks fans because Daniel had a good December.

The Sedins were never gonna leave this team, never! But he went out and gave that contract. He's gambled with a player who definitely hasn't been the same player for a while now.

The new GM better get a better supporting cast than we have now as the twins cannot manage a lot of minutes. That was a clear Torts error not realising the twins cannot manage lots of minutes.

Enough to get him fired? I don't think so.

I agree. I'm not sure what people are expecting here. Nothing is going to make us instant contenders overnight anyways. By the time we are that competitive again, the Sedins will have retired as Canucks and will have their jersey retirement ceremony.

Glad to see Torts gone. He really had no idea as to what the identity of the team was. Ultimately he seemed to want to take skilled players and turn them into shot blocking dummies and thugs. When one compares this mentality to that of a great coach such as Babcock you see how bad of a coach Torts is. Babcock instills in his players that their play remains true to the team's style and identity and allows them to play to their strengths wheras Torts tries to force an identity on players. We need this mindset.

I think some people need to understand that this firing isn't a vote of confidence for the players. While Linden has the framework of what kind of team he wants, it's his new GM (I hope it's Benning) will have the ultimate evaluation of the players in the system they want.

Trevor has always been my favourite canuck of all time, respect him all the way, but I am concerned.

We all know this core is pretty much done as since lucking out to he cup finals in 2011 (I mean almost losing in round 1 to blackhawks) they have shown NOTHING in the post season the years after. Can someone please point out any player from the core that played with heart and soul wanting to win games in playoffs?

With that being said Trevor has a relationship with most of these players and we all know that change is needed. Kesler needs to be traded now otherwise his value will continue to drop. Sedins won't be going anywhere as they won't waive their NTC and even if they did we probably wouldn't get good return and would have to eat some of their salary.

If the new GM comes up with offers to trade some of the core players trevor played with will trevor allow it?

It also seems that ower ownership group is only worried about making the playoffs and not willing to have some bad years to get some good young players to make a new core. If this is the case I can honestly say this team will never win a cup.

I am not surprised torts got fired, but does anyone think there will be anything improved with the new coach? Thats if it is the players that have quit.

Trevor has always been my favourite canuck of all time, respect him all the way, but I am concerned.

We all know this core is pretty much done as since lucking out to he cup finals in 2011 (I mean almost losing in round 1 to blackhawks) they have shown NOTHING in the post season the years after. Can someone please point out any player from the core that played with heart and soul wanting to win games in playoffs?

With that being said Trevor has a relationship with most of these players and we all know that change is needed. Kesler needs to be traded now otherwise his value will continue to drop. Sedins won't be going anywhere as they won't waive their NTC and even if they did we probably wouldn't get good return and would have to eat some of their salary.

If the new GM comes up with offers to trade some of the core players trevor played with will trevor allow it?

It also seems that ower ownership group is only worried about making the playoffs and not willing to have some bad years to get some good young players to make a new core. If this is the case I can honestly say this team will never win a cup.

I am not surprised torts got fired, but does anyone think there will be anything improved with the new coach? Thats if it is the players that have quit.

It's a process...oh wait!

Henrik takes bad penalties all the time. Hooking in the offensive zone because he's too lazy to backcheck.

All players should block shots if needed. Treating them different like spoiled rich kids is part of the problem on this team. If our two highest players can't block shots we're in serious trouble.

Archived