The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning has placed offer for 1st overall; impressed by local prospect Reinhart

TheRussianRocket.

Kesler is the guy I bet is going to be traded, can play both wing and center. He has the draw power combined with Lou that Florida needs. Kesler is the guy to take Florida's group of kids to the next level, and a good cap hit as well. They need veteran leadership not more prospects. Vancouver needs youth, perfect trade for both teams

You aren't honestly suggesting Kesler would go to FLA?

C'mon man, you're smarter than that,

Those of us who have the capacity for critical thinking, owe it to our fellow CDC's to bring our "A" game when we post here,

You have that ability, please use it.

There would be a certain amount of irony if Vancouver gets Reinhart - who lists Flames as his fav team, and Calgary gets Virtanen - who lists Canucks as his favorite.

I have not heard any rumors before here that Calgary is interested in Virtanen. If he was in their plans they would trade down.

My feel is that Calgary is ranks them as

1. Reinhart

2. Bennett

3. Ekblad

4. Dal Colle

5. Draisaitl (or possibly Ritchie)

Yep, sounds about right.

Calgary will be taking the best offensive player possible with their pick, we can be sure of that,

The only question is: are they down for the Nylander gamble? I think they probably might be, conversely I know EDM is not. The last thing they want is Yak V.2.0.

A re-building BUFF will take the safest player available, probably Reinhart if he's still there, or Bennet, of course Ekblad means Tyler Myer's is expendable and there might be some nice assets coming their way for him...offensive assets, so it's a win/win for BUFF.

So many possibilities,

This has seriously been the most fun draft in....I can't even remember how long,

Hope you guys are enjoying this as much as I am :)

Yep, sounds about right.

Calgary will be taking the best offensive player possible with their pick, we can be sure of that,

The only question is: are they down for the Nylander gamble? I think they probably might be, conversely I know EDM is not. The last thing they want is Yak V.2.0.

A re-building BUFF will take the safest player available, probably Reinhart if he's still there, or Bennet, of course Ekblad means Tyler Myer's is expendable and there might be some nice assets coming their way for him...offensive assets, so it's a win/win for BUFF.

So many possibilities,

This has seriously been the most fun draft in....I can't even remember how long,

Hope you guys are enjoying this as much as I am :)

Can't see it. Nylander is is listed at 5'11" 170lbs. Burke's first complaint of the Flames was that they are tiny. Add to the the emerging but diminutive John Gaudreau and a Nylander selection looks unlikely.

Guest Dasein

Report: Canucks website article on the possibility of trading up in the draft - By Jeff Angus:

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=722296

I find it interesting that Canucks would post an article which basically slates Horvat into the lineup for the fall.

That's a pretty strong vote of confidence for the young man. I think he has a very good chance if Kesler is gone.

Can't see it. Nylander is is listed at 5'11" 170lbs. Burke's first complaint of the Flames was that they are tiny. Add to the the emerging but diminutive John Gaudreau and a Nylander selection looks unlikely.

Bennet is no bigger though,

Burke may have no choice but to draft a small player.

I suppose he could take Leon, he's around 200, right?

I find it interesting that Canucks would post an article which basically slates Horvat into the lineup for the fall.

That's a pretty strong vote of confidence for the young man. I think he has a very good chance if Kesler is gone.

It's posturing for Tallon,

Horvat is what he originally asked for,

This article and the twitter quote from yesterday were ailed directly at FLA

Benning is saying: "You want 6th? better drop the price, or have fun paying Phanuef for the next seven years"

The Twitter quote "You can bet we will be using that pick" was his way of telling Tallon, "If you deal the pick to anyone below us (Namely the Leafs) the player you want will be GONE by the time you get there."

The game is afoot!!

Guest Dasein

Benning is saying: "You want 6th? better drop the price, or have fun paying Phanuef for the next seven years"

The Twitter quote "You can bet we will be using that pick" was his way of telling Tallon, "If you deal the pick to anyone below us (Namely the Leafs) the player you want will be GONE by the time you get there."

The game is afoot!!

That's an interesting way to look at it.

I can't wait until everything unfolds (draft day, Kesler, other Gillis-NTC players) so we can begin anticipating what the Canucks will look like next season.

That's an interesting way to look at it.

I can't wait until everything unfolds (draft day, Kesler, other Gillis-NTC players) so we can begin anticipating what the Canucks will look like next season.

Even more interesting! Tallon just came right out and said he's drafting Ekblad, if he retains the pick.

What he's trying to do is drive up the price on the Oiler's

Tallon is working hard to play the Leafs, Oiler's and us against each other.

Well played Dale!

I haven't posted this much on CDC in years, I'm really enjoying this draft :) It's about 10 x as entertaining as this years final

Even more interesting! Tallon just came right out and said he's drafting Ekblad, if he retains the pick.

Well played Dale!

I haven't posted this much on CDC in years, I'm really enjoying this draft :) It's about 10 x as entertaining as this years final

Well if thats the case we should let them duke it out(EDM/TOR) and we try and make a deal for the 2nd overall. I wonder what Buffalo would want from us? What could we possibly offer them for the 2nd overall?

Well if thats the case we should let them duke it out(EDM/TOR) and we try and make a deal for the 2nd overall. I wonder what Buffalo would want from us? What could we possibly offer them for the 2nd overall?

I believe BUFF is on record saying they want 2 top prospects that are ready to step in,

In our case, that would probably mean Horvat and 6th, or possibly Horvat and Shinkaruk depending on how BUFF feels about his hip, or something involving Kassian.

At any rate it isn't a price we would be willing to pay. The unfortunate thing thing is that due to NMC's the afore mentioned players and picks are what EVERY team will ask of us, we really don't have any other tradable assets....

...unless...

We deal Kesler for tradable assets. On that front something just broke that could affect us, The Sens just went public with Spezza's trade demand, and although they are completely different players, another top center on the market DOES affect the price for Kesler.

Trev/Benning need to stop screwing around, I know for a fact ANH will give us what we need to acquire Reinhart and still have a little left over.

And though I am no MG hater, It did bother me when then were perfectly sound deals on the table, and he would hesitate, hoping that by some miracle the price would drop and he could "Win" a trade.

ANH offered us a more than fair deal, it helps both teams as a good trade should!

Trev/Benning, pull the damn trigger!

I believe BUFF is on record saying they want 2 top prospects that are ready to step in,

In our case, that would probably mean Horvat and 6th, or possibly Horvat and Shinkaruk depending on how BUFF feels about his hip, or something involving Kassian.

At any rate it isn't a price we would be willing to pay. The unfortunate thing thing is that due to NMC's the afore mentioned players and picks are what EVERY team will ask of us, we really don't have any other tradable assets....

...unless...

We deal Kesler for tradable assets. On that front something just broke that could affect us, The Sens just went public with Spezza's trade demand, and although they are completely different players, another top center on the market DOES affect the price for Kesler.

Trev/Benning need to stop screwing around, I know for a fact ANH will give us what we need to acquire Reinhart and still have a little left over.

And though I am no MG hater, It did bother me when then were perfectly sound deals on the table, and he would hesitate, hoping that by some miracle the price would drop and he could "Win" a trade.

ANH offered us a more than fair deal, it helps both teams as a good trade should!

Trev/Benning, pull the damn trigger!

What are the Sens looking to get for Spezza?

The game is afoot!!

Agreed..This all gamesmanship by Tallon in order to feed the bidding war for 1st overall...If Tallon was our GM I wouldn't expect anything less..

Bennet is no bigger though,

Burke may have no choice but to draft a small player.

I suppose he could take Leon, he's around 200, right?

Bennett is an inch and 10 lbs bigger on the list I'm looking at.

Leon is 3 inches and 40 lbs bigger, but if Burke's "Big kid. Don't like him, move on"(paraphrasing) comment has any merit Flames are not interested. Granted he might just say this to mess with other teams. Gm Treliving whose call the pick supposedly is I have no idea.

You're right it's going to be a fun draft. So much parity in the top 6-8ish

If Van stays at 6 I think they take either Ehlers or Dal Colle. Both will be good NHL'ers. As a rival fan I hope they get neither. :P

Well played Dale!

I just heard on the team 1040 that ANA is offering Etem, 10th, and 24th for Kesler and the 36th?!

I think this would really help us with getting the 1st or 2nd overall

I would trade Tanev, 10th, 24th for 1st and keep the 6th if possible

We get Etem, 6th, 1st

We lose Kesler, 10th, Tanev, 36th

Not sure if FLA or BUFF would comply though. We might need to add another roster player to keep up with the other bidders. Not saying this trade would be totally even, but we would need to overpay in order to get what we want.

I just heard on the team 1040 that ANA is offering Etem, 10th, and 24th for Kesler and the 36th?!

I think this would really help us with getting the 1st or 2nd overall

I would trade Tanev, 10th, 24th for 1st and keep the 6th if possible

We get Etem, 6th, 1st

We lose Kesler, 10th, Tanev, 36th

Not sure if FLA or BUFF would comply though. We might need to add another roster player to keep up with the other bidders. Not saying this trade would be totally even, but we would need to overpay in order to get what we want.

Hmm, so they are offering us less then what they did at the deadline.

I think a realistic scenario would be Etem and 6th, maybe with the 2nd rounder thrown in if Tallon asks for it.

Or, I think a huge possibility, even though it contradicts what Tallon has said publicly, is that he asks for 6th and 10th.

That would get him Nylander and Ehler's correct?

At any rate, if we trade Kessler, lose none of our developing assets, end up with Reinhart and Virtinen (Sp) or Reinhart and Etem, then this will be one of the greatest summers in Canucks history.

BTW

I'm texting with a friend who works for the Ducks, not directly with Murry so don't get too excited, but he says something is imminent. He's not a bankable source but he does hear things around the office, so take that for what it's worth.

Ahh..the need to be a contrarian.

It's like buying a new car, isn't it? Especially as a kid, you're willing to pay through the nose, for something that's shiny & new. Ol'guys tell you the amount it depreciates as you drive it off the lot. They've been through the hype/purchase/loans & regret-cycle, themselves. GM's acting like car salesmen & first-time-buyers, simultaneously. That's what we see at draft time.

We shouldn't get suckered into overpaying here. Maybe it's smarter to dangle our resources towards teams with highly touted prospects, but ones that were picked 1~3 yrs back? I always go back to NYI, because there's a team that HAS TO improve, or they'll look damn foolish next draft.

If we want a Reinhart so badly, how about that one? The UFA market will be steep this summer(lack of qual/ntity), so there's an opportunity here for us to recycle MG's most significant legacy(good signings). If we can package expendable young assets, paired with fairly signed vets, we might get 1 or 2 key youth(eg: Strome, Rhino, Pulock) who are even closer to being ripened & ready.

At the very least, play this possiblity off in Flor's face, enhancing the odds that Tallon might cave.

Ahh..the need to be a contrarian.

It's like buying a new car, isn't it? Especially as a kid, you're willing to pay through the nose, for something that's shiny & new. Ol'guys tell you the amount it depreciates as you drive it off the lot. They've been through the hype/purchase/loans & regret-cycle, themselves. GM's acting like car salesmen & first-time-buyers, simultaneously. That's what we see at draft time.

We shouldn't get suckered into overpaying here. Maybe it's smarter to dangle our resources towards teams with highly touted prospects, but ones that were picked 1~3 yrs back? I always go back to NYI, because there's a team that HAS TO improve, or they'll look damn foolish next draft.

If we want a Reinhart so badly, how about that one? The UFA market will be steep this summer(lack of qual/ntity), so there's an opportunity here for us to recycle MG's most significant legacy(good signings). If we can package expendable young assets, paired with fairly signed vets, we might get 1 or 2 key youth(eg: Strome, Rhino, Pulock) who are even closer to being ripened & ready.

At the very least, play this possiblity off in Flor's face, enhancing the odds that Tallon might cave.

Excellant suggestion,

As far as I know the Isles have some really good prospects at center ice, Nelson and Strome I believe.

I would be happy if Trev/Benn switched gears and focused on some of their prospects instead.

Would certainly hope there's more than "a little left over", otherwise it's like trading Kesler for nothing but the #1 pick.

Reportedly, MG had deals on the table but ownership nixed them.

Archived