The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver Salaries: Lowest in Canada?

Russianfan

I still dont understand why jobs in any field dont start out at 50-60k range and go up from there.

Where are these 30-40k wage expectations coming from? No one in their right mind would accept a wage that low, people have integrity, dignity.

If students out of university said "no that is too low wage for me" the employers will have no choice but to raise wages. You have to spend money to earn money. You have to understand that your employees is one place you cant afford to save money on, you need to attract top talent and pay them premium.

Look at the NHL, there is always compettition for most players, hell once you made it to the NHL there is a "minimum salary" that is still exceptional, that is how I see life/career after university. Once I made it past university that is like getting into the NHL there is a certain minimum salary base which in my eyes is at least 60k, it could be more in other cities, but if you arent making at least 60k in Vancouver you wont survive.

And as a young man looking to survive in Vancouver, and I want to live in Yaletown and looking to lease a nice car I want to represent the image of success I see on the streets of Vancouver and it drives me mad, up the wall that these sucessful people have what i want and I need that and want that too.

So rather than accepting that salaries are low, why not fight to raise them and try to get the most for your efforts?

Sooooo.....what you're saying is that you've never had a job or gone to an interview for anything other than a minimum wage job?

I highly doubt a wal-mart assistant or even head manager makes close to that 40-50k salary.

every other place i know that pays there workers minimum wage the managers and assistant managers only make a couple dollars more per hour. just maybe better benefits. i would guess 30k a year with benefits.

they probably make as much as an entry level unskilled labour worker in the company i work for.

i have been really surprised at how little some people make. when i was young i always thought any job with a real title made fat cash ... how wrong i was.

way off. retail managers can make pretty good money sometimes. i have a friend who worked her way up in the Gap and she probably makes more than most people in this thread, without question, and has had many offers around north america for other opportunities.

according to Business Insider, assistant managers at Wal Mart make 45k. a manager will make 70+ depending on area and the business the store brings in. not bad for retail

I don't have a college degree and I'm making 70k plus benefits after two and a half years and many promotions with a large Canadian business.

It's all about the work you put in. I'd love to have a degree as it's icing on the cake in the interview process. Unfortunately I was very lazy during my university years and didn't finish.

With a degree and the proper work ethic and attitude the sky is the limit. Without a degree you can achieve the same end result you just have to work that much harder.

I agree. I'm living proof.

But.....

What have you heard from OP that makes you think he has either of these qualities?

I think people here seriously underestimate salaries.

What you think people make 30-40k, people are actually making 55-60k.

Go out there, Craigslist is full of jobs, I see no problems landing a job.

It is not about landing a job, I want optimum salary, I am looking for tips and tricks to convince and coin the employer to side with me on my salary expectations.

I am looking for advise on how to maximize my earning potential straight out of school, and NO dont tell me its not possible, and dont tell me to gain experience first, because I dont buy that.

I need real advise on how to get a high paying job right out of university.

Okay it seems like such a troll job but just in case this guy is serious there is one big thing he's missing. When your parents and life told you that you would be succesful if you stayed in school and got a degree they didn't mean you'd be better off than all of your friends, driving a Lambo, and dropping money like a hip hopper. They meant your parents wouldn't be worried and you wouldn't be starving and living on Hastings.

You can make a lot of money with a degree but as was pointed out employers pay for quality and experience. Face it. You have none that an employer can see right now. Factor in that it sounds like you slipped your way through school without doing much work and you'll be spotted instantly. Work isn't like lying to your prof about an assignment and if you feed them any of the stuff you've been spewing here then good luck! You'll need it.

It is not about landing a job, I want optimum salary, I am looking for tips and tricks to convince and coin the employer to side with me on my salary expectations.

I am looking for advise on how to maximize my earning potential straight out of school, and NO dont tell me its not possible, and dont tell me to gain experience first, because I dont buy that.

You mean the rest of us that have been in the workforce for decades, run our own companies, set budgets, hire personnel and actually have the practical experience you lack while also having degrees?

Learning to listen to advice is a great skill to learn.

Now I'm convinced this is a troll thread.

Good job.

You mean the rest of us that have been in the workforce for decades, run our own companies, set budgets, hire personnel and actually have the practical experience you lack while also having degrees?

Learning to listen to advice is a great skill to learn.

No, you don't understand.

He wants to bypass working his way up the ranks and getting work experience and go straight to the executive suite. All he has to do is tell the HR person interviewing him his salary expectation. I've had it wrong all these years. Working hard apparently is for suckers.

Actually, people here are pretty realistic. You should try listening to them some time.

and what is the problem of wanting to make more money and actually try to take action to make it happen?

ffs.. a bunch of welfare hobo not understanding that someone in the world actually want to be successful.

now that's just bad trolling there. step your game up. there is a subtlety to trolling. you can do better .try again

:popcorn

I never said executive suite.

I just want to understand how employers not understand that living in Vancouver is tough, and because rent is so expensive it makes sense that salaries here need to be raised.

I dont see how people are surviving in Vancouver off 30-40k salaries, why dont they complain or stand up to the bullies that these megacorporations are?

I am the young generation and a representative of your future, I for one refuse to take on a small salary, I will ask for more and get more. The squeeky wheel gets the oil, you cant be serious that I wont be expecting a lot when I graduate.

Considering the promises made to me, the amount of student debt I have, the expense of living here etc all needs to be taken into account by employers when setting salaries. Salaries is a sum total of expenses of their employees + a little spending money. The higher the expenses the higher the salaries, that is standard economics.

You're an idiot. You just said a couple posts ago that you hated having to work "hard" at being a student in one of the easiest degrees there is (you admitted to CHEATING your way through your degree). Why on earth would any employer in a reputable company hire you?

You can trick someone through an interview if you're lucky, but your integrity and work ethic will show soon enough. Not only are you a lazy POS, you think that world owes you something for it. Dumbass.

Plus 1 for best post in this thread.

Okay it seems like such a troll job but just in case this guy is serious there is one big thing he's missing. When your parents and life told you that you would be succesful if you stayed in school and got a degree they didn't mean you'd be better off than all of your friends, driving a Lambo, and dropping money like a hip hopper. They meant your parents wouldn't be worried and you wouldn't be starving and living on Hastings.

You can make a lot of money with a degree but as was pointed out employers pay for quality and experience. Face it. You have none that an employer can see right now. Factor in that it sounds like you slipped your way through school without doing much work and you'll be spotted instantly. Work isn't like lying to your prof about an assignment and if you feed them any of the stuff you've been spewing here then good luck! You'll need it.

If he does actually get a job his coworkers are going to have him figured out in the lunchroom by the end of the week.

To me he sounds like a guy who will wind up on the wrong side of law looking for shortcuts to wealth and success, wind up getting caught, and blaming everyone else for his failures.

I hope not but at 26 years old a person should have more life experience than OP is portraying. I could understand if he was a teenager but he lacks every understanding of how the world works and what qualities make people successful.

I just want to understand how employers not understand that living in Vancouver is tough, and because rent is so expensive it makes sense that salaries here need to be raised.

I dont see how people are surviving in Vancouver off 30-40k salaries, why dont they complain or stand up to the bullies that these megacorporations are?

I am the young generation and a representative of your future, I for one refuse to take on a small salary, I will ask for more and get more. The squeeky wheel gets the oil, you cant be serious that I wont be expecting a lot when I graduate.

Considering the promises made to me, the amount of student debt I have, the expense of living here etc all needs to be taken into account by employers when setting salaries. Salaries is a sum total of expenses of their employees + a little spending money. The higher the expenses the higher the salaries, that is standard economics.

The problem that you're going to run into is that nobody cares that you aren't living within your means. If you can't afford to live in Vancouver you can move elsewhere.

Employers right now are actually willing to look the other way when people don't have degrees rather than when they don't have experience for senior level positions (where the big bucks are).

The fact is there are plenty of people willing to work for 40-50k and you aren't worth a dime more than them until you earn it.

They expect you to manage your money wisely, work hard and sacrifice to build the life you want. They aren't in it to make your life easy.

Nobody buys a squeaky wheel. They pick one that looks like it will work. And if they do consider buying a squeaky wheel, they expect a discount because it's damaged goods.

If it turns out they already have a squeaky wheel, they might not grease it, they are more likely to replace it.

Archived