The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver Salaries: Lowest in Canada?

Russianfan

I truly feel I deserve a chance at a job of my choosing, I deserve that chance because:

- I have a certified degree in a profession that is the focus of my studies

- I have a degree from a reputable university

- I have a respectable 2.8 GPA graduation average

- I have recomendation letters from my professor and my uncle who will vouch for me

- I have a team first attitude, I love to work with groups and designate tasks

- I am ambitious and am able to take on responsibilities that come with higher compensation

- I am friendly, very good with people, social and communicative

Just based on these elements above i would say 98% of people in our society dont have these atributes, but I do. And because I have them is why I ask for a higher salary than the average Joe coming out of school.

We believe the best people in the country work right here –

and you could be one of them.

You’ve got the enthusiasm and drive. We’ve got flexible schedules, benefits and jobs that can turn into satisfying careers. We also offer rewarding corporate opportunities that offer the challenge of working for the #1 quick- service restaurant operation in the world. It’s a perfect match. We feature a wide range of job opportunities across Canada at our Restaurants and Corporate Offices.

http://www.mcdonalds.ca/ca/en/careers.html

Sounds right up your alley. They're all about being team players. And you're the best people, being part of the 2% of the best people in our society.

ROFL. Getting trolled has never been this hilarious.

The real problem is societie's view on newly graduated students, that is sad how you are treating this situation. This is the reason why employers dont want to pay premium to grads, it is because of the envy and putdowns of the general public.

It is unreal to me that you have the audacity to bring me down and say I need to work in the service industry when I am aiming for a mid management role right out of school, which only the best and the brightest can pull off.

My reasons are simple, my cost of living is high, my rent is high, I have a huge student loan, I want to live in Yaletown and have a nice car. All these things cost money, ok? I am sure you understand that, and because the life style I aim for is expensive I need a salary that justifies such a life style.

And a 30-40k salary is not going to cut it, how am I not clear about that?

The real problem is societie's view on newly graduated students, that is sad how you are treating this situation. This is the reason why employers dont want to pay premium to grads, it is because of the envy and putdowns of the general public.

It is unreal to me that you have the audacity to bring me down and say I need to work in the service industry when I am aiming for a mid management role right out of school, which only the best and the brightest can pull off.

My reasons are simple, my cost of living is high, my rent is high, I have a huge student loan, I want to live in Yaletown and have a nice car. All these things cost money, ok? I am sure you understand that, and because the life style I aim for is expensive I need a salary that justifies such a life style.

everyone wants to live in a nice place own a nice car all that great stuff

guess what though it's called Reality learn it and live with it doesn't matter what lifestyle you choose because that is your choice Employers are not obligated to pay someone a certain wage because they want to live a certain lifestyle

You're clear about that. But you're also delusional to think anyone is going to hand that to you on a silver platter.

Employers don't give a rat's behind what your expenses are. Your salary is based on how easy it is to replace you. And as a new grad with ZERO experience and lots of competition, you are easily replaceable.

You tried to compare yourself earlier to PK Subban, but right now you are more like a mid-round draft pick. You'll likely get a job, but there's no guarantee it's the one you covet.

Still, this has been a highly entertaining thread and I thank you for that.

Great! You should lead with that!

Untitled_1.jpg

You're clear about that. But you're also delusional to think anyone is going to hand that to you on a silver platter.

Employers don't give a rat's behind what your expenses are. Your salary is based on how easy it is to replace you. And as a new grad with ZERO experience and lots of competition, you are easily replaceable.

You tried to compare yourself earlier to PK Subban, but right now you are more like a mid-round draft pick. You'll likely get a job, but there's no guarantee it's the one you covet.

Still, this has been a highly entertaining thread and I thank you for that.

Double you tee eff. He's more like a fat kid who gets picked last in gym class.

You are not entitled to anything coming out of college. Be realistic. You may end having to take a job at Starbucks to make ends meet, plus work 9-5 during the day doing something else. You have no position to bargain from because there are hundreds of other marketing graduates with a four year degree who will take the low pay. You have nothing to offer; no marketable skills that set you apart from every other recent marketing graduate. Heck, I would not hire you because you are obviously missed the boat when it comes to marketing yourself--if you cannot market yourself how can I trust you with a million dollar advertising budget. Best advice is to get your MBA, and then go from there.

Soooooooooo, you're not going to lease now?

ou are not entitled to anything coming out of college. Be realistic. You may end having to take a job at Starbucks to make ends meet, plus work 9-5 during the day doing something else. You have no position to bargain from because there are hundreds of other marketing graduates with a four year degree who will take the low pay. You have nothing to offer; no marketable skills that set you apart from every other recent marketing graduate. Heck, I would not hire you because you are obviously missed the boat when it comes to marketing yourself--if you cannot market yourself how can I trust you with a million dollar advertising budget. Best advice is to get your MBA, and then go from there.

This makes me laugh, the ignorance here is baffling.

There are no hundreds of grads, there is a shortage of highly educated professionals in Canada. There are always jobs available, most top companies always say " We are always looking for motivated people" on their career page. That means they are always hiring always looking for top talent.

Second point, every new release of grads has an advantage over the previous one because they learn more, they learn the latest techniques, read the latest editions of text books, learn from the best new professors. Every new grad class is an upgrade from the previous, so employers look to new grads all the time.

In fact you can not replace a highly educated grad that easily because the other "100 or so" who will take his place will also demand a high wage. No one is stupid to accept a 30 k job when you can hold out for more, its about respect and dignity.

Also no one works 2 jobs at starbucks and works 9-5 at a full time job, that is social suicide. I wanna go out I wanna have fun with my girl, i wanna party with friends live it up, spend some money, drop some cash on my friends.. I dont have time to work 2 jobs, i want 1 full time stable easy job where I can make good cash and enjoy my life stress free. That is why I went to school.

This idiot reminds me of posts Elliot Rodger made before he went on his rampage.

To put things into perspective some of the richest people and smartest people in the world never graduated high school let alone college so stop whining how you are entitled to a high paying job.

and FYI if you wanted to get out of school and be making 100k in 3 years you should of studied engineering not marketing; marketing is absolutely worthless. Most CEO's of business' are actually Engineer graduates.

unattainable? my friend is earning 70k a year 3 years after graduating from SFU. And here you are telling him that it is unreal for him to aim for 60-100k in a few years?

EVEN if it is unattainable and the expectation was too much, there are nicer way to tell him taht instead of calling someone delusional because they have high expectation, not for you, BUT FOR HIMSELF.

i mean jesus christ how does his expectation for himself effect or offend you in anyway that you have to call someone delusional? FFS you are making it sound like he want to make millions right after he finishes school.

What do you want to hear from him? that he wants to work from McDonald because it's realistic for you?

What does your friend do?

Okay, let's analyze his post again from the standpoint that he's not trolling, shall we?

Nevermind, I can't do it.... You can't in any way defend someone who says, "I invested ____ in university, I'm ENTITLED to get _____ and employers should be at my mercy".

This makes me laugh, the ignorance here is baffling.

There are no hundreds of grads, there is a shortage of highly educated professionals in Canada. There are always jobs available, most top companies always say " We are always looking for motivated people" on their career page. That means they are always hiring always looking for top talent.

Second point, every new release of grads has an advantage over the previous one because they learn more, they learn the latest techniques, read the latest editions of text books, learn from the best new professors. Every new grad class is an upgrade from the previous, so employers look to new grads all the time.

In fact you can not replace a highly educated grad that easily because the other "100 or so" who will take his place will also demand a high wage. No one is stupid to accept a 30 k job when you can hold out for more, its about respect and dignity.

Also no one works 2 jobs at starbucks and works 9-5 at a full time job, that is social suicide. I wanna go out I wanna have fun with my girl, i wanna party with friends live it up, spend some money, drop some cash on my friends.. I dont have time to work 2 jobs, i want 1 full time stable easy job where I can make good cash and enjoy my life stress free. That is why I went to school.

Nice to live in a fantasy world. Sorry that you are going to find out things the hard way.

You are making assumptions about the job market in Canada, and obviously ignored my years of advice. Please see where I am coming from, I spent most of my adult life in management, spent years as a CEO, sat on many numerous boards. You want something that you are not entitled to. You have nothing to offer, and based on your frenetic panic to write a research project is enough to prove to a person like me how irresponsible you are. I would never hire you to do a million dollar marketing campaign. You are irresponsible, and have unrealistic expectations. You have nothing to offer me because you cannot be trusted.

If it is then you shouldn't have told us about your 2.8 GPA in a BA in Communications that took you 8 years to finish with the help of online cheating methods and bribery.

I have hard time, I failed the first time I went to college and was told not to come back. After spending time in the workforce I went back and graduated with honors, and pulled a 3.9/4.0 in graduate school. The fact that he wants to argue, tells me a lot. He is probably bipolar and off his medication.

I need real advise on how to get a high paying job right out of university.

Man you got it all wrong haven't you heard ..

man there is this website, (I can not give you the direct link because it would be cheating and only the worthy shall find it) but basically all you have to do is find the link and it will explain everything you need to know about how you.. yes you . can make (now this is the interesting part you will like) up to 1,496 $ a day (now why is it 1496 and not 1500 you may ask well it is the only way they can keep it 100% legal and it also becomes fully tax free due to some loop holes i will not be discussing in any more detail) but basically you don't even really do anything other then click the link fill out some information , accept the contract and then wait for the bank account to start growing.

now you might be thinking what a load of doo doo. but i am telling you this is 100% real its not like those other pop up offers to teach you how to be rich those are bogus. this is the real deal all you have to do is find it.

now if you are interested in accepting this mission of sorts , since i feel that your are a worthy candidate and have the smarts to decipher the codes and clues me and a few of the other members of this exclusive club (some of which are member of CDC i am not at liberty to out them on a public forum but they are free to announce that they themselves are members of the club. i will not be confirming that they are unless they break any rules that we have set within the club to weed out any imposters so if they prove to be i will oust them if they are imposters) we will be dropping clues throughout CDC that will be accompanied by the only spelling mistake that is recognized in my post by the forum rules this way you will know it is a real clue.

we may stop posting clues if you prove to not be what we thought at anytime.

p.s (hint clue # 1 is in this post)

p.p.s (Google is your friend)

As a CEO I find it amusing that people fresh out of college think they are entitled to something when they bring no marketable skills to the table other than a college degree. Yes, in Canada a lot of people do not have a four year degree yet alone a graduate education. The problem for Russianfan is that there are a hundred other marketing graduates that have applied for that "job" and if his GPA is low it may indicate to HR to look at someone who has a higher work ethic--because in my mind a correlation of low grades to work ethic can be made--I do not want a C student.

As a CEO I find it amusing that people fresh out of college think they are entitled to something when they bring no marketable skills to the table other than a college degree. Yes, in Canada a lot of people do not have a four year degree yet alone a graduate education. The problem for Russianfan is that there are a hundred other marketing graduates that have applied for that "job" and if his GPA is low it may indicate to HR to look at someone who has a higher work ethic--because in my mind a correlation of low grades to work ethic can be made--I do not want a C student.

What are you talkign about Mr. CEO.

Jobs are about attitude ok? My grades have nothing to do with anything, 2.8 GPA is nothing to worry about, it may not be a 4.8 GPA student but that just shows you I am well rounded. An employer will look at that GPA and will see I didnt spend my time in a library like a bookworm or bust my ass off 10 hours a day doing extra credit work and attending every lecture to get the best grade like a goodie good.

I made friends, i played sports, I went drinking, I socialized, I networked, I had a lot of different girls, i traveled, I enjoyed life. The one mistake you keep making is your assumption of a newly graduate student like me who has quote unquote "no marketable skils" are you kidding me? We have the most marketable skills you can imagine. Prolific with computers, up to date with all the latest social media platforms, driven, eager to learn, big on team work, can work long hours and dedicate one self to work.

The grad students have the best skills, they may lack experience, but the one mistake you make is you think employers care about experience too much, that is a old myth, an urban legend. What employers truly want is to be impressed, with attitude and drive.

And I will impress them when I ask for 60,000 when everyone else is willing to settle for 35,000. That my friend is how i roll.

And I will impress them when I ask for 60,000 when everyone else is willing to settle for 35,000. That my friend is how i roll.

nope they will just laugh and slam the door in your face

moral of the story learn a little humility it will help in the job search or don't i could care less point is your coming off as a self entitled arrogant you know what and nobody is going to hire you if that is how you are in real life

What are you talkign about Mr. CEO.

Jobs are about attitude ok? My grades have nothing to do with anything, 2.8 GPA is nothing to worry about, it may not be a 4.8 GPA student but that just shows you I am well rounded. An employer will look at that GPA and will see I didnt spend my time in a library like a bookworm or bust my ass off 10 hours a day doing extra credit work and attending every lecture to get the best grade like a goodie good.

I made friends, i played sports, I went drinking, I socialized, I networked, I had a lot of different girls, i traveled, I enjoyed life. The one mistake you keep making is your assumption of a newly graduate student like me who has quote unquote "no marketable skils" are you kidding me? We have the most marketable skills you can imagine. Prolific with computers, up to date with all the latest social media platforms, driven, eager to learn, big on team work, can work long hours and dedicate one self to work.

The grad students have the best skills, they may lack experience, but the one mistake you make is you think employers care about experience too much, that is a old myth, an urban legend. What employers truly want is to be impressed, with attitude and drive.

Then don't let the door hit your a** on the way out. Rock n' roll is how I roll.

I just want to be a fly on the wall at your first few interviews. I'm sure it would be better than anything found on TV.

If I am comparing you to another applicant, for an entry level marketing job, comparing apples to apples, I would not even call you because you have mediocre grades. Well rounded, great. But you are not the brightest crayon in the box and your grades indicate that you are not dedicated to your studies. If you cannot hack spending four years earning a degree with decent grades, in a cut throat business such as marketing you are not going to make it long term. Low grades are indicative of a lack of effort. You can argue with me all you want, I am trying to help you realize real life.

I will add this, I do not care how cool he is with technology, his application would never make it pass HRIS (human resource information systems). His only hope is to have a personal connection with someone. Thing is, if I was in his cohort and HR came to me at some point to ask me what I thought, I would have to be honest and say that he procrastinates and because we work with tight deadlines that we do not need this type of baggage.

Archived